Current acrylic "Conrail Blue"?

tomstockton

Tom Stockton
Do any of the current manufacturers (Vallejo, Tamiya, Army Painter, etc.) make a "Conrail Blue"? I do poorly in mixing colors to match another color, so if a ready-made substitute is available -- by whatever name -- I would appreciate learning about them.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Tom Stockton

Do any of the current manufacturers (Vallejo, Tamiya, Army Painter, etc.) make a "Conrail Blue"? I do poorly in mixing colors to match another color, so if a ready-made substitute is available -- by whatever name -- I would appreciate learning about them.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Tom Stockton
Even if not, I’m betting you could get a small handful of colors including the closest blue you can find, and then add bits of other colors until it matches. There are online helper guides for this that might help. Remember however to let your paint mix dry before you decide it matches since the paints change hue a bit when they dry

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    729.6 KB · Views: 121
I know Badger makes a Conrail blue, part number 16-29, but they also have GTW Blue, 16-66, which is darker and may be more suitable to your liking.

You can check them out at Badger Airbrush Paints

They have an option to show a larger color chart, under ModelFlex paints, under railroad colors.

Hope this helps

TV

TV,

I recently ordered a bottle of Badger Modelflex Conrail blue -- and also got bottles of GTW Blue and B&M Blue. It's not easy to pick out exact color matches on a computer screen... <sigh> ...but I'm hoping one of them will work with a touch-up job I'm doing.

Thanks for your suggestion -- gives me more confidence I was on the right track!

Now, if I can only find some Modelflex cleaner, or a good substitute.

Regards,
Tom Stockton

TV,

I recently ordered a bottle of Badger Modelflex Conrail blue -- and also got bottles of GTW Blue and B&M Blue. It's not easy to pick out exact color matches on a computer screen... <sigh> ...but I'm hoping one of them will work with a touch-up job I'm doing.

Thanks for your suggestion -- gives me more confidence I was on the right track!

Now, if I can only find some Modelflex cleaner, or a good substitute.

Regards,
Tom Stockton
I have been using Badger for a long time. They were also my first airbrush, but I moved up on that. One nice thing is that the paints clean up well, being acrylic.

I normally just use either water or 91% Isopropyl Alcohol as a cleaner, although I found that an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner does wonders as well for cleaning my airbrush.

Badger makes several cleaners, and you can find them at USA Airbrush Supply, which is owned by Badger. Here is a link to their cleaner pages:

Badger Airbrush Cleaners

You can also buy their paints on that site as well. Here is a link to the ModelFlex pages. Just select the type you want. I found that they are a lot cheaper even with shipping than either one of the 2 local hobby shops we have near me.

Badger ModelFlex Paints

Hope these help.

TV

TV,

Thanks for your reply. I've been wondering what to use as a cleaner; never thought about 91% isopropyl alcohol. Will have to give that a try.

I've bookmarked the USA Airbrush Supply home page, for future reference.

Thanks again!

Regards,
Tom

Back