CSX Static/Diorama Yard Layout

CSXDC

C40-8W
Good evening all.

Due to space limitations (currently living in a one-bedroom apartment), I do not have the space I'd like to have for trains. So I've decided to take a shelf from a bookcase and build it into a miniature diorama/static layout. I've spend about a week or so playing around with track designs on AnyRail, and finally came to a decision. I'm doing a small yard and a bridge that will eventually cross the yard. This will give me some space for some freight cars and a locomotive or two.

Here's what I'm working with:
  • Total space of 30" x 10" (thirty inches by 10 inches)
  • Atlas Code 83 Nickel-Silver track
  • 1/4" foam board underlayment
  • Woodland Scenics foam roadbed under the tracks
  • Woodland Scenics Medium Gray Blend ballast

I'll update this thread as I progress. I work alot, so each update will probably be about a week or so. I will get the ballasting done tonight. Just finished gluing down the roadbed to the foam board. I set the tracks on the roadbed so that everyone can get a look of what it's going to be like so far.

Thoughts? Opinions? Comments welcome.

IMG_0046_zps7bd68446.jpg

IMG_0047_zps3cc918ce.jpg

Well I began ballasting last night, and after doing about a one-foot section, realized that the foam board I was using was NOT going to work. The whole board began warping almost instantly when the water hit it. So I pulled up what I got done, and decided just to lay the roadbed directly onto the finished shelf. That should, hopefully, resolve the moisture issue.

Thanks for sharing your work with us.

The good news is if someone reads about your mishap they will be able to avoid the same problem, at least it was not in vane.

Can't wait to see your equipment, I am a CSX fan myself!

Looking great so far and good to see what others use when doing their layouts/diorama's. Looking forward to the progress.

Cheers,

wombat457

This is going to be cool. I too am a bit of a CSX fan since I l;ive just a few minutes from a large CSX yard. I too am anxious to see where this one goes.

Thanks for all of the replies all! I'll keep everyone updated as I progress. I've always been a big fan of CSX, as I used to live about 3 miles from their a mainline in Central Virginia. Now that I've moved to Northern Virginia, I only see the trains go by if I go towards Fairfax or Prince William Counties.

I've started redoing the ballast tonight. Will hopefully get this done tomorrow or the day after, and I'll get some photos up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great idea! I always like seeing interesting new (to me) ways of getting an MRR "fix" without the traditional layout. I bet it will make a nice conversation piece in your living room. Looking forward to seeing more!

Good luck!

Finally got the ballasting done. First time ever ballasting tracks. I think it turned out pretty well.

image4_zpsf2c1444a.jpg

image5_zps74468659.jpg

image3_zpsb356d5b0.jpg

I left the dried glue on the ties to give it more of a "sun-drenched" look as a yard wouldn't have perfect ties. I did ballast over the switches as they will not be used/functional as it's a static diorama.

Thank you! Eventually I'll get some more work done to it. Still looking around for a yard tower/yard building that will look good. So many different choices available. Also need to get some green in there at some point.

Well, no more scenery done yet, but I've got some trains now! I actually found a locomotive I forgot I had, an Athearn SD40-2 CSX YN2. I just need some new handrails, as they were torn apart at some point on the front and back, and not sure where they went. In the mail today came a Bachmann Spectrum Dash 8-40CW CSX YN2 I ordered off of eBay. Also have a couple freight cars. Pics will be posted in a moment.

Thanks Louis! I want to some detail to the flat car at some point, but my next step is working on scenery. Since I'm not modelling a specific yard, I may leave the fire truck "decal-less" as if it is being delivered as a new apparatus to a department somewhere.

Back