CSX Black Creek Pics

grande man

Bonafied Grande Nut
Hi all. I thought I'd share a few pics I snapped on the way home. Black Creek is on the North end of Boyle's Yard on the Birmingham-Nashville main. It's also the break point for what was the L&N's Cane Creek Branch.

I thought this signal was somewhat unique, because of the black paint used on the upper half of the ladder and mast.
156986241.gif

See if you can make any sense of this trackwork. Maybe it was a modification of some earlier layout??? Maybe I'm missing something, but would it not have been easy to do the same thing with two fewer switches? It's not the best pic because I had to hold the camera overhead to get the angle! Less than 1/2 mile from here the Cane Creek Branch angled off to the west (left of the pic).
156986168.gif

Northbound departing Boyle's Yard.
156986217.gif

Southbound on the approach. Note the position of the signal shown earlier.
156986274.gif

And as it passes by.
156986153.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent pix Eric!

I don't have a clue about that track arrangement - maybe Brakie or Johnny or one of the other ex-RR guys here would know...?

I have a question about that pic captioned "Northbound leaving Boyles yard" (CSXT #295): Was it moving, and did it have its headlight and/or ditch lights on? I can't see any trace of light emanating from the lenses.

The reason I'm interested is because: I purposely avoided shooting any head-on mainline pics of trains on my layout, because I don't have DCC [yet] and I can't "park" the locos with their lights on. If I'm seeing a moving train in your photo, I might be able to include some mainline action photos in my Philly presentation after all [without worrying about the lights]!:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
CSX_road_slug said:
I have a question about that pic captioned "Northbound leaving Boyles yard" (CSXT #295): Was it moving, and did it have its headlight and/or ditch lights on? I can't see any trace of light emanating from the lenses.

The reason I'm interested is because: I purposely avoided shooting any head-on mainline pics of trains on my layout, because I don't have DCC [yet] and I can't "park" the locos with their lights on. If I'm seeing a moving train in your photo, I might be able to include some mainline action photos in my Philly presentation after all [without worrying about the lights]!:cool:

Unfortunately, I can't give you any justification for your mainline photos. :( #295 had it's lights on, but the angle/lighting in the original pic makes them tough to make out. Here's another camera angle of the same train...
157033582.gif

Another question raised from today's trip... Note the GE plate on the nose of the SD40-2, #6451. I've got to get my eyes checked, lol...:confused: :D
157037922.gif

Evening Grandeman. My best guess on the track setup,is that,it could be a leftover from L&N days,you know from when L&N used those tracks.It would appear to be a type of crossover,I'm not real sure about. Also,I think there is a similar set up in North B'ham on the Norfolk Southern. As for the GE trust plate,could be something to do with the electronics. :confused: .I can't say for sure.William.

Hey William.

Maybe the SD is equipped with an on board GE toaster. :D

I'm assuming that GE is doing rebuild work on the EMDs??? I'd like to know for sure.

grande man said:
Unfortunately, I can't give you any justification for your mainline photos. :( #295 had it's lights on, but the angle/lighting in the original pic makes them tough to make out.
Nada problem Eric, I sort of suspected that. I'm going to stage a photo of my lead unit at a similar angle, where its operating lights will be "hard to make out"...!:D

grande man said:
Hey William.

Maybe the SD is equipped with an on board GE toaster. :D

I'm assuming that GE is doing rebuild work on the EMDs??? I'd like to know for sure.
Eric,stranger things have happened.:rolleyes: But,seriously, without further info,your guess is as good as mine. One of things that make you go,Humh!?,huh?:D Looking foward to seeing both of you tomorrow.Other than my camera,do I need any rolling stock? William.

jbaakko said:
I'd assume HLCX 6451, Ex HATX 750, Exx HATX 907 was rebuilt by someone who normaly does GE rebuilds/GE builds, ring any bells? But then again Helm could have had GE do the rebuilds, after all they will, in NY too...
https://www.getransportation.com/general/locomotives/services/repair_overhaul.asp

Thanks for the link. With the new paint on the SD, I wondered about something like that. Ya learn something new everyday. ;)

jbaakko said:
Thought this might catch some of you 'bama residents eyes too (GRANDEMAN!!!)
http://www.bhamrail.com/

We've been to their Lipscolm (sp?) facility. It's very near several Red Mountain historical sites. Sometimes there's some neat stuff sitting around.;)

grande man said:
We've been to their Lipscolm (sp?) facility. It's very near several Red Mountain historical sites. Sometimes there's some neat stuff sitting around.;)
I got an email about them about 2 years back, a freind got a tour of their facilities. Must be nice to be near a rebuild shop ;)

Back