Criticism towards fellow model railroaders.

chessie_system3

Was on YouTube on my lunch break and stumbled upon some really hateful comments towards fellow model railroaders from other model railroaders! I don't even know what to say. I guess there's bad apples in every bunch. I feel like we should support each other no matter what we feel about a layout. To downright criticise another model railroader for their layout is wrong. End of the day it's not your layout. It's theirs. They model how they see fit not how you do. I would love to reference this one. However I'm not trying to pick a fight and I'm not going to share something if the person is a part of this forum.

Justin

I agree with you 100%, my layout is mine and I'll create it how it suits me just as your layout is yours and it will be how it suits you.

With regards not sharing the YouTube for fear of it being someone on here, perhaps that is what is needed to be done so that sort of person can be weeded out. I'm all for see it.

Click where it says Youtube at the bottom, will take you to it on the site.

Last edited by a moderator:
You know, I didn't think there was any A-holes in model railroading. I guess that's another thing I was wrong about!

Criticism is useful if it's done with good will and intended to help a person to improve. However, it becomes subjective in this hobby, and it's often best to ask first. The two have to agree that what is proposed has merit, and that what is deficient could actually stand improvement.

Would the person be receptive to some constructive criticism? No? Okay, well I wish you continued enjoyment. Nice to see what you have accomplished so far. That kind of thing. But some are insecure and feel the need to attempt to self-aggrandize or to belittle the other person. Or, they're plain mean SOBs who probably have little love in their lives.

I'm all for criticism if it's not in a demeaning manner. Constructive criticism can be a good thing. But if you approach it in a wrong manner it makes you look like an ahole. I'm glad that there are more uplifting comments than bad.

Justin

When we are critical, we are judging someone by our standards, which is very subjective. Not everyone has the same talents and abilities, or interests. On the other hand, when you put yourself out there, you're putting yourself at risk for negative comments and trolling.

Constructive criticism, no matter how well intentioned, is still subjected to how the person receiving the criticism takes it.

If comments and suggestions are requested, it's a whole different ball game. Discretion should still be used.

Boris

You want to try a few car forums when a newbie asks a question or makes a statement/comment that is erronious.

hqdefault.jpg

I'm all for criticism if it's not in a demeaning manner. Constructive criticism can be a good thing. But if you approach it in a wrong manner it makes you look like an ahole. I'm glad that there are more uplifting comments than bad.

Justin

The guy criticizing in this instance should have kept his mouth SHUT. Criticism in a public format when not asked for is just plain wrong, don't care if your a psychologist thinking your helping someone; or, a Jack Ass; or, both.

I just went to that youtube web page and there weren't any comments, just the name of the poster and something about a license...:confused: [...NEVER MIND, I went back and now I can see them!]

Regardless, I've seen a few snotty hobbyists in my time; in fact I remember when a group of them on the Model Railroader forum ganged up on the late Jeffrey "Running Bear" Wimberly and tried to tell him his pictures were "causing the hobby to be viewed in a negative light". Luckily the moderators ultimately banned the SOB's.

** For those who never knew Jeffrey: He suffered from Type I diabetes and had no feeling (sense of touch) in his hands or feet, and lived on a fixed disability income. Yet he managed to do some great modeling in spite of these limitations, and was an inspiration to a lot of people as a result.

If you want to have a horrible view of humanity, read youtube comments.

It barely matters what the subject of the video is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm sort of re-thinking posting photos on these forums because of this conversation. I'm involved with this hobby to have fun and am not interested in; or, attempting to become the "Worlds Greatest Model Railroader"! I simply want to have fun with a hobby. As someone said, posting photos; or, a video is putting yourself out there, for the jerks and ass holes to see and take pot shots at you and your work. Unless I asked for constructive criticism (never going to happen) I don't need the bad blood this type of stupid situation would provide! So far, I guess I have been lucky with the critiquing my photos have received. I have also done my fair share of build threads and am thankful their reviews have been supportive.

I'm not saying that people haven't disagreed with me on my opinions, for the most part I somewhat expect this! Hence my sign off: "Opinions given are my own and not meant to ruffle any feathers". People might look at my feelings about this and think I am quite the "Nancy Boy" about it. However, I'm old enough and been around the block enough to have experienced life to know what I'm talking about. Nuff Said!

I don't know how many of y'all are old enough to remember, but the term "rivet counter" came into being way back when Lionel first introduced their O "scale Hudson". at the time, it was touted as the most accurate model of one to date. Then, some guy with nothing better to do discovered there were not as many rivets on the model's tender as the prototype had. There was much brouhaha about this guy taking the time to count the rivets, and the term was born.

I remember when a group of them on the Model Railroader forum ganged up on the late Jeffrey "Running Bear" Wimberly and tried to tell him his pictures were "causing the hobby to be viewed in a negative light".

I do recall that incident, although I thought it was on the old Atlas Forum. In any event it was a cruel and unnecessary attack on Jeffrey, by someone who knew better and just wanted to show his mean streak.

There is always someone ready and willing to bash someone else's best efforts, and that person normally when pressed admits he doesn't even have a layout.

Back