Creating a layout plan drawing in Paint

NYC_George

If you don't have software to create a layout plan and wish to show others your work. You can use the paint program that comes with Windows to do this.
I used it to create the plan for my control panel. It takes a little thinking but it's easy once you get the hang of it.
George

layout_plans_drawing_03_08_21.jpg
contol_panel_02_03_03_21.jpg

That's slick George, especially the panel idea. i might have been able to use that years ago with I built my first layout.

That's slick George, especially the panel idea. i might have been able to use that years ago with I built my first layout. ]

Beiland the panel idea makes the layout so much easier to run. Big improvement in running trains. I don't know why I waiting so long to get this done. I used photo paper under the plexi glass, A much sharper image. It's not that hard to build one.
George

beiland,
Your layout is famous online! had I built my framing a little differently, I would have loved to have built your layout!

Whenever I searched for a layout based on my size and shape, I found pics of your layout come up every time I was searching. The spaghetti layout quote was always present.

And I am not even Italian....ha...ha

I did have several folks on different forums use this word about my new layout,...as well as my older John Armstrong, 'Central Midland' one

Yes, a number of folks referred to this 'stock Atlas trackplan' of John's as old hat, and spagetti in nature.

BTW, when I found the images missing on this forum (where I had originally posted them), I recreated them over here, so they wouldn't be lost forever in the sea of the internet
https://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/31007

There was another member on this forum that was working on that same layout plan at the same old time, who had made some interesting modifications to it as well. He then went off to built an entirely new layout, and document that on here as well.

There were a couple of tight radi on that layout that presented problems for some of my steamers, and a couple of 6 axle diesels. Other than that there are times I miss that old layout,.....taught me a lot of things as I re-entered the hobby

I'm not really inclined to want to use a control panel for my layout. Even with a 4X8 you're constrained to one view of it, from the control panel position. With radio link and local turnout control you can watch your trains from any position.

I'm not really inclined to want to use a control panel for my layout. Even with a 4X8 you're constrained to one view of it, from the control panel position. With radio link and local turnout control you can watch your trains from any position.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one Ken. It's the best thing I've done since starting the layout 23 years ago. I should have done this years ago, that is the full track plan in front of me when routing trains. Back when I worked for the railroad I visited the controller's office in Grand Central Station a few times and watched as they controlled the traffic by flipping a switch on main routing board. I run my railroad about the same way now.
George

Last edited:

Back