CP Rail SD40-2 that caught my attention...

:confused:
Have you figured out which automobile to use for the blue car that goes on the roof?
All kidding aside, that would be a great model with the weathering and to have the engineer waving from inside.
I look forward to seeing pictures of your model.
Mikey

Hmm...

Angled blower housing, winterization hatch, Q fans, exhaust silencer hatch, louvers on engine room doors, large anticlimber on front, nose mounted headlights, numberboard bell, plumbing on radiator...what else?

Looks like not only a fun modeling project, but a great weathering project.

- 107" long nose
- single rear light
- no rear number boards
- no steps, kind of a vertical panel with holes in it

CP9302 said:
- 107" long nose
- single rear light
- no rear number boards
- no steps, kind of a vertical panel with holes in it

CP- You left a few things out;

- No side rods:(
- No main rods:(
- No tender:(
- No steam dome:(

Just another die-easel with their infernal combustin' engines to me.:rolleyes::D

RCH said:
Angled blower housing, winterization hatch, Q fans, exhaust silencer hatch, louvers on engine room doors, large anticlimber on front, nose mounted headlights, numberboard bell, plumbing on radiator...what else?
CP9302 said:
- 107" long nose
- single rear light
- no rear number boards
- no steps, kind of a vertical panel with holes in it (has steps, may not look it but it does, they're not like the SD40T-2's rear steps, just not built the same way as an older SD40-2)

Other things I caught, the large anti-climber, BUT only a "normal" anti-climber handrail...

I'm gonna look to do both CP 6029, & 6062. They have minor frame differences too, 6029 has the normal notched frame, where as 6062 does not have this notch. 6062 also does not have a normal pilot mounted plow, and has an interesting rust pattern on the text. 6062 is less Door louvers... Difference in air horn placement also.

Anyways... According to a website I found, these are the most techinaly advanced, as delivered, standard SD40-2's, and CP has traction control on them! Sort of like UP's C44ACCTE's & C45ACCTE's

Now to find two Kato CP rail SD40-2's in the pac-man scheme, and do some MAJOR work...

I can't believe this!! I looked at the photo saw the bell was in a funny spot and thought that was about it, man I'm no expert when it comes to American ( whoops Canadian ) Locos. You guys are amazing.

Ken.

Last edited by a moderator:
Canadian loco. :)

Did you notice the air cooling lines around the rear fans too?

I believe the blue car is a Buick Riviera.

I thought it looked completely normal..except for those louvers just behind the CP Rail! Just another of my favorite class of SD40-2s!

"what looks different on this unit, from a "normal" SD40-2?"

I'd say that for Canadian modellers, the CP version is the normal version of a SD40-2. I believe that most of the features noted above would be typical for this class. That's why these engines even have their own web page http://home.golden.net/~railbus/index.html

Ken

Sad, really. The only thing I noticed was the blue car on its roof. I guess I need to study up a bit on these beasts.

Darrin

Yup, just standard late-production (large anticlimber, exhaust housing, angled blower chute) and Canadian (brakewheel, nose headlight, cab bell, ditch lights, snowplow, steps, single rear headlight, winterization hatch) features on here. And a lot of CP's SD40-2s had the longer 102" nose. Interesting specific combination of features though.

The cooling pipes are unusual, but common to all units from this particular order, and the door louvers I believe are a field modification by CP.

I suppose the louvers must have helped ventilate and cool stuff around the DBs... The longer nose was on pretty much all CP SD40-2s to house locotrol transmitters and receivers. CP had very few designated 'B' units.

Back