CP F-units

threedollarbird

Hi, can anyone tell me what all this junk on top of this FP7 is that seems to be specific to CP Rail F-units? I think the box is a winterization hatch, but I have no clue what all the other stuff is! I've got two N-scale LifeLike F's, and I'd like to detail them as best I can (I know the LifeLikes are some kind of non-existant F7/F9 hybrid, but hey, they run pretty sweet!)

Thanks!

cp1416.jpg

I'd assume its the same thing as the SP ones, to clear the ise on the interior of tunnels, or in SP's case show sheds.

Yep, those are icicle breakers. Model Railroader had an article on how to build them about 25 yrs. ago. Needless to say it was a one pager.

These diesels were used on passenger trains with dome cars, and the icicle breakers were used so the dome windows didn't get hit with the ice in tunnels. Custom Finishing makes the beakers in cast brass.

Also note the gyra-light between the the forward ice breakers.

The light points up 45 degrees and I seem to remember riding the forward dome car on the Dominion and the Canadian during the night and seeing the beam sweep in a figure 8 pattern, visible only when foggy, raining, snowing, dusty, etc. In the canyons of British Columbia the light bounced off the rock walls. This would be back before 1967

http://www.trainweb.org/gyra/gyra_use.htm

Back