Cp Ac4400cw

Is it possible to take Athearns steerable trucks on there CP AC4400's, and put them on a Kato CP AC4400? Thanks in Advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Everything is possible, I've never known if its been done. BUT I think there's an after market kit change the Kato sideframes (or was it Athearn...) to the correct ones...

Athearn's Trucks are incorrect for the AC4400CW model!!!! Idk if anyone make the steerable trucks for Kato's AC4400CW But that would be the prototype trucks for a CP AC4400CW.

Ok, for those who didnt totally understand what I was asking, heres a picture of the trucks I would like to put on a CP Kato AC4400.
ATH79824-450.jpg

jbaakko said:
Everything is possible, I've never known if its been done. BUT I think there's an after market kit change the Kato sideframes (or was it Athearn...) to the correct ones...

I think they fit on an Athearn.

okanaganrailfan said:
Ok, for those who didnt totally understand what I was asking, heres a picture of the trucks I would like to put on a CP Kato AC4400.
ATH79824-450.jpg

I think they fit on an Athearn.
That looks like an Athearn shot too...

I know I've seen them before, and you can ALLWAYS make a side frame fit, it just may take a little.

I don't have an Athearn AC4400, but in my experience, Athearn engines draw power from the inside of the wheel (the truck) and Kato draws power from the outside of the wheel (the side frame). This would make it very difficult to addapt Athearn side frames to fit a Kato truck. My advice would be to look at replacing the whole Kato truck with the Athearn ones.
Details West makes the Phase I steerable side frame, but I think it is designed for the Athearn truck, so you would have the same problems.

Sorry I'm can't be more help. As stated above, anything can be done, it's just a matter of how long you want to work at it. Maybe Kato will release the steerable side frames in the future... we can hope.

Thats what I said above, I want to take the entire truck from Athearn and replace Kato's. Lets just hope Athearn will sell them separately.
If I do ever get this done, I'll be sure to post shots of it. :D

Back