Covered Gondola

My latest project. This started out as a 3-Rail car. I put 2-Rail trucks and wheels on it and Kadee couplers. MTH makes some nice cars and they lend themselves to conversion quiet nicely.

Greg

Hi Greg, I've never seen one of those in 1:1 scale. What do they usually ship in them?

Cheers Willis

Willis,

IIRC WP used these in steel service hauling coiled steel. I saw the prototype once, and it was in a simular paint scheme, only black instead of dark green.

Greg

3-Rail car. I put 2-Rail trucks
Ha before I forget this time a real nice job, looks good. There are a few steel fabricating plants around here I'll have to keep an eye open. I'm a bit confused :confused: with the 3-Rail and 2-Rail truck conversion care to enlighten the old guy :D

Gee came across one on eBay, wasn't as nice as your's

Last edited by a moderator:
Gladly Willis. MTH sells their cars for the 3 rail O gauge market. Some happen to be scale cars but the wheels aren't insulated, have fat treads and big flanges. They also have tall bolsters on the trucks with large couplers attached to the trucks. So when I find a car that is scale I take off the tin-plate trucks and couplers. Put a new bolster and a truck with a more prototypical bolster and scale size wheels that won't short out my 2 rail track. 3-Rail track has the live or hot rail in the middle and the outside rails are the ground so the wheels don't have to be insulated. With new trucks, the car sits lower and looks more prototypical and I add O scale Kadee couplers, very similar in design to the HO #5's. :D Hope this helps the confussion Willis. :)

Greg

:confused: Confusion cleared now, :) Thanks for explaining it Greg. I've had HO since the start, so have only seen a few of the big ones in my time, some one elses of course. Don't know why but lately I've taken a interest in all aspects of the hobby

Cheers Willis

Back