Couplers for a Atlas GP 30 N Scale Locomotive

L&N Castle

Hey N Scalers, I have a 1993 era Atlas GP 30 in Seaboard System paint,and it has the old style Rapido couplers,and I need a drop in replacement for the front and rear couplers. The locomotive has the type of coupler where you have a U shaped clip that holds the coupler in place. Also there is a small piece of brass that acts as a spring. What Micro Trains coupler conversion kit do I need the 2015,2016 style coupler? Please help. William.

You've got your numbers a little confused.....the 2 common couplers for locos are 2001/2004, and 1015/1016. You need the 1015 version. You can pull the brass spring out and reuse the clip to hold the new coupler, or you can use one of the screws that come with the couplers.

Would that be Walther's part number 489-102003 or 489-102000 ?
Thanks for the info guys. If I should go for a steamer, who makes a good one for say a 2X7 layout? William.

Either number, but the first number http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/489-102003 is assembled, the second is a kit, which is why you get 3 sets vs 2 and it's cheaper.........some assembly required. For a smaller layout you would want a smaller steamer (no Big Boys or Challengers). There are a lot of choices out there, especially if you hit the train shows or auction sites. We probably need a little more info, like curve radius to make any serious recommendations.

MRL Dave,hello. I will be using 9& 3quarters Atlas code 80 track. The layout is from Matt Chibarro's book Model Railroading in Small Spaces. The Brookville Division. William.

I can't argue with Bob's choices, but the Bachmann 2-8-0 is about the biggest 8 wheeled steamer I'd recommend. Athearn/Roundhouse also had a 2-8-0 that should handle your curves. I think virtually all 6 wheeled locos will handle 9 3/4 curves. A few larger locos will handle that radius also, but they look out of place on such tight turns.

Back