Coupler problems - need advice

xxtwobuck

I have Kato #176-4372 NW2 that will not couple with my Micro Trains #120 00 262 box car nor my Micro Trains #035 00 242 B & O stock car. Furthermore, I'm planning for magnetic decoupling. Given that all are n scale, what Micro Trains couplers should I use to replace both front and rear couplers on the loco?

xxtwobuck: Check Micro-Trains website for a chart that should show which of their couplers would fit your Kato locomotive. If the locomotive isn't shown, give them a call. Micro-Trains was part of Kaydee until 1990 when the N scale company was spun off.

mtl@microtrain.com

Greg

xxtwobuck,

Interesting issue ... the majority of my engines are Kato and the majority of my rolling stock/pax cars are Micro Trains. While coupling the Kato's to an MT is a bit fiddly, I haven't had any that simply wont couple together.

Can you describe exactly what is, or isn't, happening with yours?

I need to get my specs and a good light and will do so soon and get back. However, I'm moving toward a switching layout featuring lots of switching so having to fiddle with the couplers to get them to mesh has little appeal.

Yeah, Kato don't like to couple with Atlas or Micro-Trains. They don't like to uncouple period. Which is fine if you have a passenger train that never needs to uncouple, but otherwise...

In any case, a 2004 coupler will fix you up on that NW2. Other than a couple of aforementioned passenger trains I've converted all my Kato locos to MT couplers and they're normally among the easiest to do.

Back