Coupler Misalignment

Brakeman Hal

Hey, Gandy Dancers...

Those Kadee couplers that Sherrel sent me fit just fine under the MTH GP-35, but they sure don't match the height of the couplers on my Atlas rolling stock!

I guess I could use shims under the mounting pads on the GP-35 to bring the couplers down to match the Atlas couplers.

Other than the height difference, they function nicely!

Thanks, Sherrel!
Brakeman Hal
005.JPG

WOW, HAL ... that's a pretty large mismatch. Is it possible to cut out some plastic (or cardboard) shims to bring it down?
It looks as if you could bring it down a little. I'm not sure if Kadee makes an "offset" shank, or not. I will go look.

P.S. I received your check - thank you.

I could cut a piece of plastic about 3/32" thick and glue it to the top of the coupler.

Yeah...that's what I'll do!

"A#1 to Portland on the 19!"

Remember that line from "Emperor of the North"?
Hal

Last edited:
Does not appear that Kadee makes an offset shank. Is it possible for you to make a photo of the bottom of the loco so I can see how it is mounted to the chassis?

I stand corrected -- Kadee does have both an overset and an underset coupler - not cheap!
If you can manage a shim -- go for it!

On second thought, Sherrel, the Loco pulls my short consist just fine, and nobody ever visits my layout anyway, and even if they did, they surely wouldn't be scrutinizing the coupler heights!

I joined a model railroad club three months ago, and at my first meeting, I found that there were more than 30 members, and not one had an O-Scale 2-Rail layout except me! They were into HO, N, Lionel 3-Rail, and G-Scales. none of which interested me, so I had nothing in common with any of them.

That was also my last meeting!

I'm the only one who runs my single train, and my layout is the simplest you can possibly find!

A single train on a single, unbroken 127-foot route, with no switches, turnouts, sidings, spurs, or anything to interrupt the single track running around my layout, which is just as boring as a 5-foot circle around a toddler's Christmas Tree!

I have no Bridges, Tunnels, Trestles, Grades, Streams, Canyons, Roads, Cars, Trucks, People, Animals, Houses, Buildings, Factories, Farms, Villages, nothing at all except desolate desert wilderness, which represents the High Mojave Desert just a few miles outside my Town of Apple Valley, California, at an elevation of 3000 feet.

Anyway, I carefully planned my"Calico Freight Lines" railroad to have nothing on it except my Single Train, and I love the way it turned out!

Cheers,
Brakeman Hal
002.JPG
001.JPG

Last edited:
Looks more like shims are needed above the coupler box, not just the coupler. If that doesn't work see how much offset Kadees give you. You can email or call them for more help.

As I told my 9-year old Grandson, it your train to do how you want. I like your setup. Sometimes the simplest are the best.

Me I want to have my cake and eat it too....That's why my "simple loop within a loop" is taking me so long.

HAL -- Your RR is just fine. At least you have my favorite scale; I just wish that I had a room such as that to play in.
As far as the scenery goes ... You have several large rock outcroppings which certainly breaks up the monotonous look of a simple circle of track.
My hats off to you for what you have done. I could sit and watch that train go around that circle for endless hours!

Looks more like shims are needed above the coupler box, not just the coupler. If that doesn't work see how much offset Kadees give you. You can email or call them for more help.

Yeah, Cajon...it's a simple fix: I'll just glue a thin piece of wood, about 3/32" thick on top of the coupler box, drill through the shim, and mount the box!

Hal

HAL -- Your RR is just fine. At least you have my favorite scale; I just wish that I had a room such as that to play in.
As far as the scenery goes ... You have several large rock outcroppings which certainly breaks up the monotonous look of a simple circle of track.
My hats off to you for what you have done. I could sit and watch that train go around that circle for endless hours!

Thanks, Sherrel!
I built a model railroad to show off the TRAIN, not a bunch of structures & junk!
My layout is not a Circle...it's a Folded Dogbone! (see the layout plan picture)
Hal

Last edited:
Hal, I like your attitude. It's your layout, build what you want and enjoy it the way you want to. I find myself shaking my head at others asking if something is right or wrong. It's right if that's what you want to do.

Back