Coupler airline clearance to track

Lame9910

So I have noticed running on my track that my airlines that hang down from the coupler catch on the track causing derailments. Anyone else have this issue? Would adjusting coupler height be the route to take to solve this issue?

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

Kadee makes a coupler height tool to allow you to make sure the coupler height is correct and the "air hose" clearance to the track is correct. This works on all knuckle couplers. I have had happen on occasion and I just bend the "air hose" up slightly with a pair of needle nose pliers. I do use magnets for automatic uncoupling and have no issues.

I don't know the exact measurement, but if the hose is 1/16 of an ince above the railhead, you should be fine.

Last edited:
I did order up that tool so I'll use that also! I have some intermodal cars that need the couplers lowered on so when I ordered new kadee couplers I ordered up the tool.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

Get a Kadee #237 Coupler Trip Pin Pliers for HOn3 to O scales for adjusting the pins. Always bend mine up so they pins look more like brake pipe hoses are connected.

So I have noticed running on my track that my airlines that hang down from the coupler catch on the track causing derailments. Anyone else have this issue? Would adjusting coupler height be the route to take to solve this issue?
Every one has this issue at some time or another. It depends if the coupler pin is low because it is not properly shaped, or because the coupler itself is not sitting properly. The first thing I would check is to see if the coupler is mounted such that it is pointing straight out from the car and not drooping. Some cars are plagued with coupler droop (thinking specifically of the Athearn tank cars). Pin bending in this case would end up with curled pins.

I think all the solutions I use have already been mentioned.
1. bend/shape them with a needle nose plier
2. bend/shape them with the Kadee coupler pin plier
3. use the Kadee coupler height gauge (once again making certain that IT isn't drooping).
4. use the coupler height gauge on the NMRA gauge
5. cut them off (The museum where I run trains requires them to be cut off because they cause so many problems.)

Last edited:
5. cut them off (The museum where I run trains requires them to be cut off because they cause so many problems.)
I have read several posts around the internet where model railroad clubs have this requirement as well. Too many issues with hanging pins. (That didn't sound right, somehow?...........)

Back