Could you help me to identify this coach , please?

jagc1969

Hello,

I have received this coach and I don't know which kind of coach it is exactly, or in which train it was used. I know this is a Walthers H0 model, but nothing apart from that. The model didn't have a box. Could you give me some clue on this coach? Thanks in advance.

Kind Regards,

Juan.

VD_1.jpg

VD_2.jpg

VD_4.jpg

Juan, you are welcome. I don't think that one was assigned to a specific train. See the blank box under the windows, center of the car? That is where they would place names of particular cars that ran on certain trains.

Thanks again, Jerome.
I'm trying to discover a way to take out the roof of the coach to take a clear picture of the interior. I can see that one section of the coach seems to have a corridor on one side, and for the rest of the lenght there are some comparments. To the other side of the coach it looks there are compartment along the whole coach.

This is called helping a brother out. See where my Super Chief is? That bottom box. I checked what I have. It isn't a Pine series 10-6 or a Regal 4-4-2. You might check the Walthers website for their name trains and match the window configuration. It is not skirted so it's a later car, maybe an 8-3-3. Note: Generally, only sleepers are named. Chair cars, diners and such are numbered. Some railroads named domes, but not all of them.
IMG_2337.JPG
IMG_2338.JPG
IMG_2339.JPG
This American Passenger train nomenclature isn't easy! See the vents on the diner roof? That's the spotting feature.

Last edited:
Note: Generally, only sleepers are named. Chair cars, diners and such are numbered. Some railroads named domes, but not all of them.

That can vary wildly by RR. Some definitely did name diners, some didn't. Some sleepers were named, some weren't.

A lot of "named" cars probably also have an identifying number although it may not be super visible.

I tend to agree the model in the lead post on this thread is probably some sort of sleeping or parlor car.

That can vary wildly by RR. Some definitely did name diners, some didn't. Some sleepers were named, some weren't.

True. However for Juan, what I said is correct (for the Santa Fe) :)

A lot of "named" cars probably also have an identifying number although it may not be super visible.

Yes, a Pullman number or loading number was typically in the window next to the vestibule door, and that number was on your ticket so you could find your car and berth.

Yes, a Pullman number or loading number was typically in the window next to the vestibule door, and that number was on your ticket so you could find your car and berth.

That's... actually a good point, but not quite what I meant.

The named car might also actually have a RR equipment ID number.

The "line number" placed in the window of cars in a train so passengers know which car is "Car 4" on today's train is completely different from the cars' equipment number such as ATSF 2436. [made up number not checked against an ATSF roster]

The "line number" placed in the window of cars in a train so passengers know which car is "Car 4" on today's train is completely different from the cars' equipment number such as ATSF 2436. [made up number not checked against an ATSF roster]

Again, true, but Juan is working on the El Capitan in the mid fifties. My advice was for the Santa Fe at that time, and not meant to apply to all railroads everywhen. :)

Alan, now I'll have to pull out the Burlington Zephyr out and check those.
I happen to have one of those here, even though the Q/WP/DRGW aren't my railroads. They named the diners and domes on that train. Early on they even named the locomotives! I don't know how many sets of the train there were, but the diner on this one is "Silver Platter". As always, prototype research is important!

Last edited:
You are taking a lot of effort to answer me. Wonderful picture of the real thing, Jerome, and your Super Chief consist looks great , Alan.
You , guys, are awesome !
Thanks a lot !.

Juan.
Juan, I took a look at the Walthers site. Since the El Cap was an economy train it was all chair cars and head end equipment, no sleepers. You could use the sleeper if you did the combined El Cap and Super Chief but then you'd need the Hi Level cars. One thing that did surprise me was how much of the name train cars are showing "retired". There is a pretty good selection on e-Bay though. You can even get the Budd Great Dome, though that one will cost you!. There also seems to be a fair amount of coaches up there for not too much. Good luck putting the train together. I've done this a couple of times, twice with trains where some of the cars could only be found in brass. In one case it took almost ten years to find all of the cars and for several years I ran stand in models. Passenger train modeling can be fun, but it can also try your patience!

Back