Could I use an India ink and alcohol mix to weather a brick structure?

GuilfordRailman

Weathering is new to me. I am wondering if I could use an India Ink and alcohol wash for weathering my structures a bit. Someone on another thread I’ve been posting layout updates on suggested weathering powders which I’m inclined to do but was just curious about the india ink.

I’m aiming for one of my factory buildings to look like this:

6FE8730D-823D-43E7-9AFB-3A890E0EEA44.jpeg

India Ink would work to some degree, but powers or Pan Pastels would work better in my opinion.

Here a building that I used Pan Pastels to weather....

IMG_0328.JPG

If you use India Ink be sure the surface is clean and use a bit of liquid soap to break up the surface tension o the model.

Greg

This video he's weathering an engine, however at 4:30 he gets the seems weathered, this might be away to do the brick. The mortar would get colored, clear coat it then the brick.

Weathering is new to me. I am wondering if I could use an India Ink and alcohol wash for weathering my structures a bit.
I use India Ink and really liquid sorts of washes when I want to highlight or "darklight" the cracks. If your after coloring the surface I would say liquids aren't the best. The picture you show looks like you want more of a surface type weathering.

When doing brick walls I use a product called Robert's Brick Mortar to fill in the mortar joints of the bricks. I remove as much of the Roberts off the brick faces as possible with a dry wiping rag.

Once completely dried, I then use the India Ink mix to weather bricks if I don't use the Pan Pastels.

Greg

I use India Ink and really liquid sorts of washes when I want to highlight or "darklight" the cracks. If your after coloring the surface I would say liquids aren't the best. The picture you show looks like you want more of a surface type weathering.
Good point! I am after more of a surface type weathering but I really want the brickwork to stand out as well. Maybe powders are the better way to go?

Back