Corrosion

Larry

Long Winded Old Fart
I took the body off a C44 Diesel today to replace the couplers & there was a mess of powdered corrosion on the right side frame. It was on top, sides & around the motor. I bought it at a train show in Nov. of 2006. It runs real well & the headlite doesn't work. I can fix the lite, but I had never seen this before on any of my 75 diesels at any other time.
What do you think may have caused this buildup? I wiped off as much as I could & then wiped some 3 in 1 oil on the infected area's.

Larry:eek:

Sounds like Calcium build up. I'd gotten it in my oldest, Tyco C424, though I'm not sure that it is calcium.

Never had it in my loco's but had it in other electronic devices, I just used some water little soap and tooth brush on it and seemed too come of clean, i just had too make sure all the soap was off of it.

Allot of corrosion occurs between 2 types of metals when electric current is involved..(like brass, copper, and steel ..this is oxidation)...also when in a room where moisture and temperatures change often..a tiny bit of oxidation creme (grease) helps deter this...It may have been in a damp basement or an attic where temps. change several degrees...(a good dehumidifier helps areas like this) It may not do it as bad in your area. Depending where your layout is.

Bob, My layout is in a steel building. I've never had the problem in any of the other engines that I keep in my building. But, like you said it might have been in an attic or a basement before where the problem could have occured before I got the engine.
Thanks everyone for the remedies. I knew someone on this forum would come up w/a good answer.
Larry

Back