Corragated buildings - what era's

OCMRRC Jeff

OCMRRC President/webmastr
At the Old Colony Model Railroad Club (OCMRRC.org) we model the Post War New Haven.
We currently don't have any corragated buildings on the layout as I have been told they are too new.
I wanted to do a kitbash of a superior bakery with a corragated section.

Would there have been corragated buildings in the early 50's in New England. Or sections of a building that would be corragated?

Jeff

Corragated metal of one type or another has been around since the 19th. century. At first it was made of iron. A simple google search will give you a lot more information.

Ray

Corrugated buildings today are mainly smooth with the metal sheeting ribbed in sections for strength and installation and began around the 60's, usually light blue or light yellow with white. The old structures were completely corrugated and were zinc-plated steel, usually not painted till later years after they began to rust. Look at some of the old Cambell and Suydam kits on Ebay, they have corrugated metal with them depending on the kit, the Suydam's you had to actually solder together.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is or was, a corrugated iron club based in Australia aka Oz, that had tons of info on corrugated iron and all the corrugated sheet iron buildings in Oz and New Zealand. IF I recall correctly the first corrugated iron sheet originated in 1896 in England for use in Harbours, but don't hold me to that. The main difference between old corrugated iron sheet and the modern material is the pitch and sometimes the shape and height of the corrugations.
Cheers from the Heart of the Continent
Will

Back