Coping with inclines

Bustercat5

New to all this. I have an N scale layout with 2 gradual curved inclines which can't be avoided. Height at top is 4 cms on one and 5 cms on the other.
I have purchased 2 Dapol models which both struggle even at top speed to get to the top.
I am keen to purchase further engines. Are there any particular models that are better suited to inclines? Thanks.

Diesel can't get up inclines at all. other engine copes with no problems
20220428_122424.jpg

Attachments

• 20220428_122350.jpg
    20220428_122350.jpg
    272.6 KB · Views: 79
  • 20220428_122424.jpg
    20220428_122424.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 84
Are the wheel spinning (no traction), or does the motor just not have enough torque?

Seems to be the motor. Coped fine at first, then needed speeding up to climb and now can't get up even at full speed.
My worry is buying further locomotives then finding the same problem as I can't lower the inclines. Have looked on line for engines that cope better with inclines without luck.
Have been advised that Dapol are not the best models.

Do you currently have more than one engine? If so, have you tried running more than the one in tandem? This is how North American railroads, especially logging roads have coped with steep grades. Another way was to utilize geared steam locomotives, such as Shay and Climax types. Not sure what would be available in N scale, or whether these would actually be able to perform as the prototypes did. Diesel locomotives add units to cope with heavier loads and steeper inclines.

Do you currently have more than one engine? If so, have you tried running more than the one in tandem? This is how North American railroads, especially logging roads have coped with steep grades. Another way was to utilize geared steam locomotives, such as Shay and Climax types. Not sure what would be available in N scale, or whether these would actually be able to perform as the prototypes did. Diesel locomotives add units to cope with heavier loads and steeper inclines.
Thanks for tips. Only just started so when get further engines will give it a try.

t

Try running 4 axle diesels instead of 6 axles. On another forum I belong to, it was found that the 4 axle units have a better tractive effort than heavier 6 axle units. I have 3 Atlas GP 38-2's that run great together in distributed power. Maybe using smaller engines and distributed power can help with the steep grades you have.

Try running 4 axle diesels instead of 6 axles. On another forum I belong to, it was found that the 4 axle units have a better tractive effort than heavier 6 axle units. I have 3 Atlas GP 38-2's that run great together in distributed power. Maybe using smaller engines and distributed power can help with the steep grades you have.
Thanks for tip. Will look into it

Back