Cool Proto Searchlight

grande man

Bonafied Grande Nut
From the L&N, er a CSX, in the booming metroplolis of Trafford, Al. This one is soon to be taken down, new units are going in. :( I thought it seemed unique because it's double sided with the ladder in the middle and on the side. This one would be fun to scratch build. I wonder if the Grande had any like that... ;)

121234031.jpg

Grande,
We had them up here on the old Milwaukee Road line. Except they had three targets on each side!
:eek:

RexHea said:
Eric, your Grande can have it;)

Yeah, but, er, a, that's not right. ;) I do like your philosophy of "I'm doing it the way the prototype should have..." :D

Heck, the sub just may get some of these.

Here's a couple of other proto signals I shot today. While they're not searchlights as the title says, they could be useful to someone signalling their RR.

Cantilever.
121317623.jpg

Signal bridge.
121317620.jpg

So much for the ladder, check out these steps.
121317621.jpg

> So much for the ladder, check out these steps.

Yeah, and check out the oddball crossing signal to the right. Why build the support up so high in he air only to hang the lights down from beneath it? Seems odd to me...

modelbob said:
> So much for the ladder, check out these steps.

Yeah, and check out the oddball crossing signal to the right. Why build the support up so high in he air only to hang the lights down from beneath it? Seems odd to me...

What's not evident in this pic is that there's another track the parallels the road and crosses the tracks shown at 90 degrees. The crossing signal was designed for trains to go under as well. The track in question connected the old SCL line to Gasden with the L&N's Boyles yard and, to the left of the pic does a little "road runnin" for a short stretch. :cool:

I know there are a few of that type of signal on the CP around here. You never know, the Grande might have had one! And it looks like an interesting find on that crossing signal!

TrainboyH16-44 said:
I know there are a few of that type of signal on the CP around here. You never know, the Grande might have had one! And it looks like an interesting find on that crossing signal!

If they made it that far north, the Grande might just have had a few. :)

You don't have any CP Rail pics do you??? ;)

CSX_road_slug said:
Eric, were you in or near Birmingham when you got the above photo? I see blast furnaces in the background, but I thought USX Fairfield Works was the only steel-making facility left in Alabama. (If you don't know the details I'll bet Rex does!:D )

Hi Ken. That's Bham's historic Sloss Furnaces in the background. They are idle now...:(

Thanx Eric! Gosh, how could I forget about Sloss - I even toured them once during a visit to B-ham...!:eek: (Halfheimers strikes again)

CSX_road_slug said:
Thanx Eric! Gosh, how could I forget about Sloss - I even toured them once during a visit to B-ham...!:eek: (Halfheimers strikes again)

I'd love to stand in the spot I snapped that pic and be "zapped" back in time 75 years! That would be a sight to see!

Mr. GrandeMan,

Take it from someone who is the biggest rivet counter on the forum. That's right ME!!! These signals were found on every prototype on the planet, N. America, S. America, Cuba, Iraq, and Southern Wisconsin.

They were installed roughly around the early 1700's. They were operated by little dudes who would piggyback themselves until they could place brightly colored gem-stones in the middle of the targets. You see, electricity was still months away.

In any event, they are :cool: and would make a great scratcher!

Having a Ball
Johnny

Back