Convert Turnouts to DCC?

Paul Schulze

I have a small DCC layout with DC turnouts (mix of slow motion and snap). What compelling reasons can be given for bringing the turnouts up to DCC? Since my layout is fully functional, easily controlled from a single station, and does not require walk-around, should I just keep the turnouts under DC control? Thanks.

Similar situation on the G.G.&W. Division of the C.B. & Q. What I can't reach from my control panel area, is controlled by momentary AC power to twin-solenoid switch machines. The rest which are in reach are controlled by manual throws, either Caboose ground throws or Atlas switch machine manual throws. I personally don't see any reason to change to DCC. I'll leave the DCC to the few locomotives that have it and sound.

I personally don't see any reason for DCC controlled turnouts if there's either electrical switches or manual throws within reach of the operator. I find it relatively easy to stop a locomotive at a turnout and then switch the turnout to the proper route than hitting some additional buttons on a hand held throttle.

Besides, if the turnouts are out of reach for manual control any future maintenance may be a real effort.

Just my opinion.

Greg

I had 2 turnouts that were dcc controled. Got rid of the dcc and went back to a dpdt toggle. Just easier.

The only thing I can see to make sure of is, that there is no way any DC power can connect to the actual track, while DCC power is applied to it. The currents are totally different in wave form. If you have the frogs supplied with DC from your switch motors, that will have to be disconnected.

As long as you are just talking controlling the actual motion of the switches themselves, and not power, then I see no reason to convert them unless there are some that you just can't reach.
For my layout, all of the turnouts that I can't reach (and even some that I can), are controlled by toggle switches powered through an old DC power pack. The rest are all manual.

Back