Container Port Ideas & Images

Then a second question, what if I added a 'reversed image' to the right of the first one,..something like this. Two 29" wide images would add up to the total of 58" ,...the length between my to truck entrances at either end.

View attachment 146186

Oops. I screwed up, those images where suppose to be the other way around,..for the forced perspective.

EDITED: This is the corrected image,..
View attachment 146188

Now how do I correct those containers names that are reading in reverse?
Short reply, I gotta do some sick dog stuff, but that's pretty much what I was suggesting for the far backdrop, yup. But I would actually go with the upper image, as it's what they call a 'single point perspective'--the two endmost cranes are viewed a bit more from the side than are the two center ones.

The reversed names? LOL, the joke's on me there, as it hadn't occurred to me they might be visible, or even needed, since you plan to stack the foreground, and maybe up to your hidden track too with modeled containers. Presumably you have all your decals on right side up. :D

But for now, I kinda like Libby's idea. That's brilliant.

==========

I'll try and sketch up some things later or tomorrow. But as far as the modeling an actual ship, I was thinking of something like this, the classic LST....container ship version: http://gcaptain.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/landing-craft-ship_edit.jpeg

Stack some containers to block the bow*...because there aren't any bow doors on container ships, and because, even if there were, a unit coal train would be just a shade too long anyway. :D

[* and/or the stern]

Here's some thoughts:

a couple of ideas from another forum,....

Get the horizon line flat.
Slip the mid join to break up the mirror image.
Break up the symmetry by copy and pasting container faces especially at the mid point edit.
Bring up the exposure on the container stack.

adjusted port.png

The RH side of the long panorama is obviously mirrored, both because of the reversed lettering on the containers and the wrong perspective of the cranes.

Edit out the center two cranes.

Copy the end cranes to the positions of the two you removed

Copy the single visible leg of each of those and use them to replace the leg half hidden by the other structures

Select all of the containers on the left side of the panorama, Use the "SKEW" tool to level the horizon line of the containers.

Copy the containers on the left and paste on right side

Selectively edit containers, copy/pasting over the joint between the two halves, alternating like laying bricks if possible.

Here's some thoughts:

a couple of ideas from another forum,....
Great ending pix! Makes the whole scene look busy. Keep in mind that only YOU will see the ...um... fixes and problems. Sorta like when you are putting down tile or floor pieces in your house. There are always places that you have 'fixed' corners or ends that are not perfect no matter how OCD you are. Others will not see them as most folks will be looking at the foreground while the brain fills in the rest. Good job!

One question that arose almost immediately is how do I get that 'white space' around the crane images to be the same blue sky color I have used? Is there a way that can be done with photo-shopping? ,......or do I need to do some sort of cut & paste?

Or should I consider some sort of removal of the cranes themselves, the add them back in after sky color is added?
Carefully cut out the white background.

Carefully cut out the white background.
Photoshop and Gimp have a function that will replace the color of a selected pixel with the color you want. Believe this is done for the whole image although I have not played with that for a few years. With new versions, you may be able to set up a 'bounding box' and only change pixels inside the box. Since most of your foreground is a darker color than the sky, give it a go. Ya, that sky is multiple color lightish pixels and some of the lighter colors in the foreground may change if the pixels match. Might be easier to fix the foreground pixels that have your new sky color than to cut out the unwanted sky. Since a light blue is your new sky color they should be easy to spot.

and again from that other forum,..

"should I consider some sort of removal of the cranes themselves, the add them back in after sky color is added?"

That's basically what I would do. In the photo below I extracted the sky from one of the cranes using "background erase" tool and fine tuned with a standard erase tool. I was just experimenting so I chose the crane on the left. If I were to do it again and wanted to have more than one crane in the background I would have chosen the crane that is photographed straight on instead of the one I did use. Take out the entire white sky and paste in some of the crane images where you want them. Choose your sky and drop it in and send it "to the back" so foreground containers and cranes will cover the lower section of the sky. Tedious but doable.

It would be far easier to do with a higher resolution image.
port 2.png

So I guess there is a 'background erase' function in some of those photo editing softwares.

BTW, I tried the cutting out the background white with an exacto blade,.... very difficult to get around all those 'protuberances' of the crane images.

Just a start on some experimentation. I went to my locale Staples and had them blow that original image up into 2 new sizes,..20" wide, and 24" wide. I stuck with just black & white images to experiment with,

View attachment 146181

View attachment 146182

One question that arose almost immediately is how do I get that 'white space' around the crane images to be the same blue sky color I have used? Is there a way that can be done with photo-shopping? ,......or do I need to do some sort of cut & paste?

Or should I consider some sort of removal of the cranes themselves, the add them back in after sky color is added?

Hope some photo-shopping folks can help me with suggestions.
I would stay with the white like color in the prints, and fade wall color into it. Just a thought.

Dave LASM

Back