Container Loading Cranes

beiland

Container Loading Cranes

I've been looking thru LOTS of container crane images recently,...specifically HO scale, and specifically railroad car loading ones. I have some specific requirements I am seeking for my two container handling areas, but I thought it might be interesting to see what other models (commercially available, kit-bashed, custom built) might be presented, and the reasons for those preferences.

Heljan model
I'll start out with one of my favorites, the Heljan model.
https://www.hattons.co.uk/11688/hel...o_gauge_dc_ac_dcc_operation_/stockdetail.aspx

images

This is an expensive one, and it appears as though it is ONLY available as a fully operational model. I find it almost surprising that neither Heljan has offered a non-operating model, or perhaps some other manufacturer??

It does appear as though they have copied a real existing crane, but I find it to be so wide as to be limited to pretty large container handling scenes. It spans so many tracks. I like the idea that it services a track (or two ?) outside of its inner span.

I would like to have a crane that spans only 2 or 3 tracks, with the capability to service one track outside its inner span. My container facility will possible be just barely wide enough to support this size crane.

Two container/trailer type cranes that come to my mind are one by Tyco towards the end of the 80's and a sort of 'harbor crane' type of thing that AMH or IHC marketed for a few years around the same time. The AHM one is more like the Heljan one in your photo. It might have been marketed earlier by Cox. The Tyco one is single track only, however the AHM one could span several tracks as I recall. Hope this helps.

Back