Construction of the Triple C Under way

NWR #200

Irish Expatriate
Seattle Post Intelligencer- Construction crews from J&B Rail Contractors have been busy this morning. Today marks the start of construction of the Weyerhaeuser Company owned Cowlitz, Chehalis, & Cascade Railway in Southwest Washington. Grading has commenced on the Carlisle Mill spur, a short stretch of trackage off the main line to access the soon to be built Weyerhaeuser Carlisle Small Log Lumber Mill.

Leopoldt Bloom of Whitehall and Marks, a Seattle based engineering firm, says "design and engineering of this segment of track was quite easy, compared to what lies ahead. The Cowlitz River Canyon will require the construction of a Steel trestle nearly 200' off the floor of the canyon. Could get quite tricky."

The laying of rails is expected to begin next week with operations commencing upon the arrival of a DCC system and a MP15DC locomotive from EBAY Rail Equipment. The mill is expected to be switched by the railroad 2-3 times daily, while producing nearly 15 revenue carloads a day, not including the nearly 20 nonrevenue cars of logs the CC&C hauls in from the St. Helens Tree Farm South East of the mill.

---------------------------------------

Photos to come soon. Meanwhile, here is an aerial of the plan if it were in real life. The track plan is basically the same, with the addition of a siding south of the mill to spot outbound loads and inbound empties for pick up by the 'Newaukum Local.' Also the paint scheme of the MP15DC that will serve as the assigned mill switcher.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very good news! We should establish some traffic patterns between the Triple C and my modern-day New York Central system. There are plenty of homebuilders on the east coast looking for lumber!

mtrpls said:
Very good news! We should establish some traffic patterns between the Triple C and my modern-day New York Central system. There are plenty of homebuilders on the east coast looking for lumber!

Sounds good. At the current time, the labor union is on strike so who knows when track wil be down. When that time does come however, I'll be shipping finished products in 60' Gunderson High Cubes (TBOXs) and centerbeams. I'll let you know what comes out of the labor dispute ;)

So how does this whole car routing thing work? Hopefully we aren't enriching the USPS by physically shipping cars back and forth?

Brian, Sounds good. I'll be shipping 4 Tbox boxcars daily and 2 centerbeams. Let me know what you prefer. Also, are you still going to have a paper mill on your line. If so, I recommend it be a Weyerhaeuser one so I can also send you my 3 chip cars a day :)

The modern-day New York Central serves a heavily commercialized and developed urban corridor, "BosWash" (the urban megalopolis consisting of Boston, Providence, Hartford, New York, Newark, Philadelphia, Wilmington, Baltimore and Washington, DC). The region is always looking for finished lumber products to continue the steadfast development of the area.

The NYCS would like to do business with the Triple C, the BLS and other friendly, quality railroads. I like to do freight car exchanges where I send another railroad a piece of rolling stock decorated for the NYCS, in return for rolling stock lettered for their railroad.

Here are the 60' high cubes the New York Central sends out for use on our "partner" model railroads:

IMG_4812.jpg

Anyone interested?

Sounds awsome, But, it'd be too easy for me, I'd just send you a RTR BNSF boxcar, lol. Maybe when I get around to doing the DUFF (DUFX & DUFL) Boxcars & Covered hoppers we can trade...

hyrail5 said:
Hey Seth,

What did you use to create your map on post #1?

I used Google Earth with its measuring tool. Luckily Onlaska just came up in the high def so I could do it. A good majority of the Olympia area is in high-def so you could do it as well I suppose.

PilbaraRail said:
Anyway KVR could get some loading from the TripleC? Looking for new traffic.

I'll need to take a look at the capacity I have since both BLS and NYCS have shown interest in receiving traffic.

mtrpls said:
The NYCS would like to do business with the Triple C, the BLS and other friendly, quality railroads. I like to do freight car exchanges where I send another railroad a piece of rolling stock decorated for the NYCS, in return for rolling stock lettered for their railroad.

I'd probably only be able to send you a TBOX, since the only cars that will be decorated for the CC&C will be a handful of chip cars, the captive service log flats, and 2 wide vision cabooses.

I would suggest restarting the thread over on the Ops/Virtual Interchange section so we can keep track of who's interchanging with what. Doesn't have to go there now, but when the agreement gets into place, we can track it better there.

Just a thought....

Kennedy

Back