Construction begins!

Well after much waiting, reading, dreaming, wishing, I finally bit the bullet and bought enough track and materials to get started on my HO scale Shelf style Layout. Its 1x4 construction with 3/4 foam under the track, I'll be doin the scenery this comin week I hope.

I did snap some pics for ya

Thanks Steve! Ive got to cut some of the flexy flexy stuff to length and finish the extension on one end. but its raining so I cant go cut the plywood :( oh well, there are worse things I suppose. I would have liked it to be a wee bit lower, BUT my toolbox has to fit underneath. I can still reach the back with a bit of stretching.

Update:

Well Ive gotten all the track cut to length, joined, and its lcoation marked. Now I get to take it all apart and add the trackbed. Ive gotten a little bit down, but im afraid its time to goto work. BOoooooo! At least I'll be makin more $$ for train stuff! Hopefully tonite will be as productive as last night was. Maybe tmw I'll get All the trackbed down and the track mounted and wired??

Last edited by a moderator:
Lookin' good

Lookin' good Scott. You'll be moving freight on the pike pretty soon. I wish I could be run trains by next week too, but my Dad and I have a little more plywood to cut and then draw all the centers before I even consider running a train.
Keep up the good work.

Here's the photos from this afternoon.

I'm gonna lay a bit more roadbed, and head to bed. Work is early tmw due to the Christmas and New Years break.

If anybody has some, I'd love to see pictures of industrial Scene's, could use some idea's and inspiration of how to handle the scenery

Enjoy the photos

If anybody has some, I'd love to see pictures of industrial Scene's, could use some idea's and inspiration ...
Looks like you're making pretty good progress. What is the main type of freight caryou plan to run on your layout? That could have a lot to do with the type of industrial scenes to model.

Ken, Im not really decided on the industries yet. Ive got my eyes on a few from the walthers book but.. nothing it set in stone. I'm more interested in seeing how the industrial areas are sceniced, whats grass, whats gravel, paved, rocks, terrain, etc etc etc

Another update for everybody

The track & roadbed are glued, track is wired, and all the joints are soldered. just a bit more to do on the extension, figure i'll start on some of the scenery tmw.

Man its been sooo long since I've done really anything with this.. Seems life and work got in the way - Anyhow just got a order into walthers for a couple of items

933- 2905 Gas plant w/washing tank 1 @ $ 33.98 $ 33.98 (Sale)
271- 55603 5 1/2" Cut #2 flat file 2 @ $ 2.10 $ 4.20
949- 722 IB Back Street structures 1 @ $ 6.49 $ 6.49 (Sale)
949- 724 IB Industrial District 1 @ $ 6.49 $ 6.49 (Sale)
933- 3511 Track Bumpers 12/ 1 @ $ 9.98 $ 9.98
731- 8 Space Age Plast Const Kit 1 @ $ 17.99 $ 17.99
933- 3164 Heritage Furniture Bld bk 1 @ $ 20.98 $ 20.98 (Sale)
933- 2837 Interlocking Tower ylw/br 1 @ $ 18.98 $ 18.98 (Sale)
933- 3095 REA Transfer Building 1 @ $ 31.98 $ 31.98 (Sale)
933- 3172 Armstrng Elct Motors back 1 @ $ 20.98 $ 20.98 (Sale)
933- 3183 Plant #4 Building Front 1 @ $ 17.98 $ 17.98 (Sale)
933- 3160 Cent Mills Bld back 1 @ $ 19.98 $ 19.98 (Sale)
214- 7222 Load Baled Scrap f/gon 1 @ $ 7.99 $ 7.99
214- 7238 Load stamping scrap 1 @ $ 7.99 $ 7.99
628- 103 150' Hwy overpass w/4 pier 1 @ $ 27.98 $ 27.98 (Sale)

Should get me a LONG way towards completion...hard to do anything without structures, or anything...

I did pickup a BLI blue Line SD40-2 last week, so now Ive got good running @ great looking motive power!

It is looking really good. I know how it is with life and work getting in the way. I am looking forward in seeing updates as they happen.

Well after much waiting, reading, dreaming, wishing, I finally bit the bullet and bought enough track and materials to get started on my HO scale Shelf style Layout. Its 1x4 construction with 3/4 foam under the track, I'll be doin the scenery this comin week I hope.

I did snap some pics for ya

I really liked the way you tacked the track down with the push pins. I never even thought of that!!! Great board work so far as well!

Scott

Yeah the Atlas flex track wants to stay Straight, so with some of those pins... really helped get the track down where it needed to be. I'm even using a few as track bumpers now.. No Complaints outta me - best purchase yet!

Thanks! I'll get some updated pics in the next couple days..after I get my Uncouplers installed and the track back right..

Well I picked up all the #308 couplers my not so local LHS Had (its 70 miles one way) and had car trouble on the way back...detoured thru downtown Cinci, spent some time railfanning at the backside of the CSX yard, photographed some older buildings for detail and weathering idea's...FINALLY got home... put the 8 Blue Box car kits together.. you know some of those are shipping with METAL wheel Sets now?? I gotta say..i'm impressed with the performance difference. I just finished installing all 5 un couplers - two were installed in the ballasted area.. easy enough to fix, im glad I used hot glue. Too tired now.. pics in the AM.

Back