Consist questions

gator do 65

I'm new to the consist thing and would like to know a few things first.
1) Does the lead loco's cv settings go to all the loco's?
2) If not how do i fix this when using different decoder's i.e. soundtrax & TCS

Currently I tried to consist using the soundtrax as the lead and tcs second, the tcs unit just started spinning wheels while the soundtrax was waiting to run up to accelerating!

Thanks in advance for any insight to this issue!

Most CVs stay the same for individual locos in the consist. So if your vmax, etc CVs are set for one loco, they are the same whether in consist or not. Since most CVs are standard, the make of decoder doesn't make too much difference. The motor speed, gear ratio, etc, of the individual loco will affect how well they consist. I don't know enough about what you're experiencing, but it sounds like to start with, you may need to look at speed matching the units before you put them in consist.

Another potential problem is the configuration of the sound decoder. I don't remember which CV it is, but the decoder can be programmed so that there is a delay from when "power" is applied to when "motion" starts so that the engine sound can "wind up". If your lead engine is set with a longer delay than the others, it would cause exactly what you described.

Oh, I understand that! I downloaded JMRI and bought the DCC to Computer interface for my system, but with everything else that's going on in my life I haven't gotten it hooked up yet. So I haven't changed any CV's from their factory settings. And if I wrote down the changes I made, I'd just lose whatever I wrote them on! :cool:

Back