Considering a change...

So I am thinking of getting some N scale and mothballing the HO for a while, or doing N at home and HO at clubs.

What is the thought on the forum?

I think that's a great idea. I've been planning on getting my HO stuff up to standards for the Columbia Gorge club and just leaving it on yard track up there. Then maybe do some small N scale work at home.

Have you been to to CGMRC? I'll be there a week from tomorrow, but that's a show night and will likely be very busy. Hopefully I'll be back on a Tuesday night schedule and hope to see you there some time.
________
Lovely Wendie99

Last edited by a moderator:
If your eyes can handle it, go for it. With the small space I am using N would have worked much better, but years of collecting my HO out does my N supplies. And I also think I was planning ahead for the state my eyes and fingers are in at this stage of the game..LOL

I've been to the Columbia Gorge club but I don't like the way they operate, and it is a huge club and easy to get lost among the membership. I'd rather join the Willamette Club or Mount Hood.

I will be checking out the N scale group that meets at the Hobby Smith here soon.

Next weekend I am planning to be in Tacoma with my family.

Whats the attraction to N scale, im assuming space?

Coming from someone who made the switch to N from HO, its kinda hard. I was impressed with how detailed it was for its size, but it was just to small. I had to sell all the N scale stuff i aquired, i never even got around to running it.

If your familiar with N scale, then i say go for it, but if this is your just sticking your toes in the water, then id be hesitant.

I've done a couple of N scale op session, I am aware of how small they are. Yes pretty much the main motivator is space. And another one pulling me is Kato superliner cars.... =D

No reason you cant do both. I started in N scale when I was 12 and running on the Oregon Truck in the Hobby Smith (When it was in the old location, I have not been to the layout in the new location) I switched to HO scale about 8 years ago because I liked the detail better. I do not have the room for a HO scale layout at this time, but I do for N scale.

Well, have you made a decision? Started purchasing a fleet of N scale equipment? I'd like to hear your impressions of the change in scale.
________
large tits Webcams

I have HO and N - an HO shelf switcher and an N-scale roundy-round on a hollow core door. I have a full (unfinished) basement but I purposely went for small and portable (I keep the layouts in my second-floor loft. They're too small for my significant other to complain. Heh heh.)

I have HO and N - an HO shelf switcher and an N-scale roundy-round on a hollow core door. I have a full (unfinished) basement but I purposely went for small and portable (I keep the layouts in my second-floor loft. They're too small for my significant other to complain. Heh heh.)

That last bit is often a really good point. But when discussing the hobby with my wife she actually said it seemed odd to her that train layouts are sequestered away in an attic, basement, or distant unused bedroom. Why not have something of manageable size on display in the house. So I started looking into N and Z coffee table sized layouts. I have yet to actually BUILD anything, but she was actually really encouraged by the idea and started dreaming up scenes to be modeled. Eh, maybe someday.
________
Michigan medical marijuana dispensary

I have both N and HO. I have a complete N Pacific Northwest lumber layout in N, but have recently started in HO scale because of the aforementioned size and difficulty to work with the smaller scale. Our club has both HO and N layouts, I run on the HO layout because there are only two other HOers there, and they need all the help they can get...

So I am thinking of getting some N scale and mothballing the HO for a while, or doing N at home and HO at clubs.

What is the thought on the forum?

The change is really and only up to you.
Even if we offer advice, the choice is yours to make.
If you want to mothball the HO in favor of N for now, GO for it!
But we cannot tell you to do it.

If you are aware how small it is compared to the HO you are ahead of the game. N scale stuff can be more expensive, and it IS smaller. That can be a bane if you're not adept at small things.

I have a general very small HO layout, I could have chosen to have a "vast empire" in N in the space of my small HO {3.5 feet x 5.1feet!} Space here is at a high premium.
I do have and run N scale under the xmas tree on a layout shared with a small oval of HO. We hope to add {gulp} an oval of Z to the layout under the tree.

My other half {MOH} is into trains too, and is into Nscale. SO MOH kinda gets a layout from TG day to the last bastian of Xmas...the Orthodox Christmas In the fist week of January to "play with" Nscale. I also enjoy running my Nscale equipment at xmas time.

I have the "best of both worlds"..maybe you can too?
________
Weed vaporizer

Back