Conrail Blue...

WisconsinCentral

After purchasing most of the parts associated with patching a KATO CR Blue SD40 into the 2000-era CSXT 8883, I finally got around to starting to work on it this morning. Upon testing the match between Pollyscale CR Blue (terrible, I know that now) and the KATO Blue I wasn't happy at all.

So right now it's back in the box once again because I need to find a decent match. So has anyone ever just touched up a KATO CR unit and found a good match? I have read that Scalecoat II is pretty good, but thought i'd ask here before making another wrong purchase. Thanks,

Alec

Yeah, to me its way too light and has an almost "purple" tint to it when compared to the KATO Blue. And now looking at a model with Scalecoat it appears too deep of a blue, like the 1990's era Conrail. So now this is becoming even more of a perdicament.

You are better off mixing it yourself. I did some (what if) sd90macs in CR with polyscale and uggghhhh is right. Lots of coal dust helped.

I'm not really a fan of polly CR blue, it seems a but light. If you can look for some of the Floquil CR Blue, it might match up better but I can't really know since I don't have any kato blue engines laying around

As Tom said, Floquil's CR blue is the closest you can get without mixing your own. I've touched up Athearns, Atlas's, and a KATO with it. With a bit of weathering, you'll never notice it.

Yeah that would probably create a problem, now wouldn't it? I need to get as close as possible so I may just have to buy a few blue variants and mix until I get something to fit then. I have to spray the incorrect black walkways, the horn, train control box, grab irons, and antenna, so near perfect is really my only option for getting a presentable engine.

Alec

Back