Connecting dissimilar size rail

JimmyG

I need a good way to attach code 70 rail to code 100. A friend suggested I crimp one end of rail joiners and solder the code 70 to the top of the joiner. Does this sound OK? Is there a better way?:confused:

JimmyG

I know U can buy rail joiners for code 83 to code 100, so, they are probably made for the 70 to 100. I usually put a spacer under the code 83 to my code 100 & then make sure the joiner is crimped tight enough. The soldering sounds like a good idea. At least w/the soldering that would guarantee a good
joint between the 2 diff. rails.

Larry

Try it, you will never know unless you try.
If not, that I would suggest going with a jump rail like the real railroads do it. Connecting a section of Code 83 in there between them even if only an inch long.

All,

Thanks for the replies. Obviously the trick is to make the transition as smooth as possible. I'll experiment a little. I got the code 70 free from a friend, along with some code 55 (way too small to use with most wheel flanges). It seems you don't see much code 55 or 70 anymore. Finding this forum has been a big help to me. Thanks again.

JimmyG
Musician, Composer, Teacher, Soldier

According to Walthers, Micro Engineering makes an insulated joiner for this:

255-26002 Plastic Insulated Transition Rail Joiners pkg(8) -- Code 100 to 70 $3.85

I Get By With a Little Help From My Friends

Thanks, guys, for the tip on insulated joiners. :) That would be a good idea since the transition area will probably need one anyway.

JimmyG

Back