Confirmation needed please.

goscrewyourselves

I'm the one
I am looking to by a number of these engines:

Kato N ES44AC GEVO - Kobo equipped with TCS Decoder K1D4

I was told this engine is NOT sound equipped.

My understanding was the Kobo element was the sound decoder. Am I right in my belief or was what I was told right and these Kobo equipped with TCS decoders re not sound equipped?

If the later is correct, what is the Kobo element? Searching Kobo Decoders suggests that they are an ESU Loksound decoder, which is what I have always thought.

I don't want to pay out a heap of dollars on something that I believe is sound equipped if it isn't.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kobo Shops appears to be their authorised installer of decoders, official but possibly not on the production line itself. The decoder fitted does not appear to be a sound version. Can be found on TCS's website.

Toot'n,

Thanks mate. Looks as though I am going to have buy the Sound Decoders and Speakers separately and have someone install them for me. At least if I want the Kato engines.

Last edited by a moderator:
non sound, but loksound is coming out with a replacement board that is supposed to install direct, and will have sound. the downside is that you have to buy the loksound programmer to load the sounds in the decoder. the decoders come with no sound installed on them. not hard to do. was going to add to this, but got interrupted and forgot what it was.

I am (sort of) impressed with everything I read about LokSound except the fact that you need to buy that programmer to install sounds if the decoder doesn't have them. The upside to having to do that is it is a one of purchase; however, unless you intend to use nothing but LokSound decoders and have a multitude of engines to upgrade to DCC or LokSound, it could end up being a waste of money.

You don't HAVE to buy a LokSound programmer, but if you do, you can change the sound files on any LokSound decoder, making it very flexible. Accidentally bought a decoder with ALCO sounds when you meant it for an EMD? No problem, just download the right sound file and reprogram the decoder.

Chris,

Yep understand that and from that perspective it is a good idea. All I am saying is that the cost of the programmer maybe not worth the money to buy non sound decoders at around $50 US each unless you are going to get good use out it.

Take me for example, I will end up with 6 non DCC locomotives. If I were to buy the already sounded LokSound decoders for them it would cost me around $660. If I were to buy the non sound decoders and the programmer I would be looking at not much less than that as well as having to download sounds and then install them, hoping all of the software works correctly and then would end up with something that I most likely couldn't use again. Bottom line, I am better off paying the extra for the already sounded decoders.

On the other hand, if someone had 20 or 30 engines they wanted to convert then it most likely would be a good proposition to get the programmer and non sound decoders.

I like LokSound in preference to the alternatives and I do think it is a good idea to give the customer the ability to download sounds and change their sounds. It just isn't for me.

To me Soundtraxx is still number one, but haven't ventured into n scale other than the bachmann dd40. All the loksound I have installed came with no sound loaded from the factory. From what I see the option of the preloaded decoder is slim on prime mover options

True, pre loaded sound is rare, and the reason for that would be because ESU wants you to buy the programmer. Soundtraxx is great and would be a close second in terms of sound quality to LokSound.

The Loksound Select decoders are the ones for the American market and other countries that have locos, either bought from American makers or with their prime movers in them(prototype that is) and have the appropriate sound files already installed. The decoder without sound files installed is the V4 model and can have custom files of the buyers making installed if needed. The Selects don't have that capability. But, you can, with the Lokprogrammer, change any existing file in a Select or V4, for another file. The Select is restricted to the files produced for that version only. The other big feature is the Lokprogrammer is also used to install updates as they become available i.e. improved soundfiles.

Several of the members of my club use Loksound exclusively in their models and are replacing other brands as they can. Seems to be a trend. Going to be hard for other makers to compete, ESU is at the cutting edge.

Toot'n thanks but I can't justify spending the money on a programmer for the small number of engines I have. To me, sound is a nice to have not an absolute necessity. If I can buy an engine with sound included, well and good. If I can't then so be it but if I really want sound for an engine, I'll buy a decoder that has the sounds already installed.

BLI offers N scale with Paragon 2 or 3 sound. Intermountain N with Loksound Select Micro. Kato N with Kobo shops Loksound, All ready to go, on a quick check. No programmer needed apart from your DCC system for the usual things.

Back