Concrete color paints?

jbaakko

Diesel Detail Freak
So, I'm wondering what everyone uses to match colors of Concrete? I used Model Masters "Navy Aggressor Gray" for my tower, and noticed last night while fueling a KC-130, that the lightest of grays the military uses, which I think Testors calls "Light Ghost Gray" matched the concrete it was resting on fairly well. Though that does not speak for the older tanish concrete.

The color of concrete will vary depending on location, because the aggregates used are whatever is readily available in a given area. A lot of the concrete around here is more tan than gray.

Yeah, I'm trying to get some ideas, it varies by age here on the airfield I work on, and sidewalks too. I want to replicate that when I really start building.

A good color for concrete that I use is Tapioca White in latex accrylics.
I buy it at WM in the crafts dept.

God I love C-130's... one of my favorite planes. I watched them fly over my house as a kid all my life, out of the Air force base near Atlantic City NJ.

If I am going for a hard core concrete look, I mix my own. 50-50 concrete-up harbor mist.

I got an enamel which was supposed to be "concrete" colour, but was Not anything like concrete, now i mix and match anything lying around

Honestly, I have found almost all the true "concrete" colors out there to be a little off. Depending on the age of the concrete, it will depend on the color. In Indiana, alot of age will bring a browner gray tone to the concrete. I've tried to mix in a mud color to the concrete-harbor mist color, but it just mucks it up too much.
I've even used a light light gray to help make it look newer. I just end up playing with the color. Good thing about it, you don't have to have them 100% matched, because not to many concrete pours on your layout would have been done at the same time in real life.

Mhmmm, sounding good. *off topic, but about grays* I noticed today, that Floquil UP Harbor Mist Gray & Testors Neutral Gray are almost exactly the same.

Luckily I am color blind. LUCKILY you scream. Well, see I can see shades. Nice thing when mixing paint! Especially gray colors and black shades.

I really don't think is is possible to get a concrete color wrong. There are so many different mixes, ages, weatherings, etc, that you could probably pick up any bottle of gray or tan paint and call it concrete. The only way you can truly say you have the 'right' concrete color is if you go out to your specific prototype location and mix the paint right there to match the concrete color. You will probably find that the concrete color isn't consistent within one location anyway, so you could mix a couple colors and throw in a replaced sidewalk tile, foundation repair, or addition to a loading dock just to break it up. That would be more realistic than trying to decide that one color is the perfect concrete color and painting everything with it.

sorry for not posting about this sooner. I work for a ready mix concrete company. our concrete is more gray than anything. our 3000 psi concrete is a light gray while our 5000 psi is darker. the more cement less flyash in the concrete the darker it will be.

One of the difficulties in making concrete look like concrete is that concrete is not usually one color but several shades of gray. When I can, I use a dark gray covered with a light mist of a lighter gray to make it look a bit mottled. Seems to look more like it should to me. I don't think the exact colors of the grays really matter that much. You can also weather the concrete with some chalks to age it and make it look more natural.

Back