Con Cor Kato Pa-1 Diesel engine

Pictures
20220724_113319.jpg
20220724_113332.jpg

I hope DMK means it's brand new to him, because that chassis looks quite worn to me.
Looks like an older design (as in "really old", maybe 30~40 years old by now!!! o_O). The floating pilot attached to the front truck, and the screws in the bottom of the truck frames gives it away. Could be a "new, old stock" loco - a brand new loco in the box, manufactured a long time ago, but never sold for a long time. These type of locos generally have dried-up grease and dry bearings from sitting unused for such a long time.

With that in mind, probably just needs to be completely disassembled with a good and thorough mechanical & electrical cleaning and a re-lube job administered to it. After that, it should run like a brand new one. As old as that design is, I believe they were quite good runners back in their day.

Early ConCor PA’s were excellent, and made by Kato (then known as Sekisui), but ConCor switched sources to China and Mexico over 20 years ago, so any ConCor/Kato product is far from “Brand New”. Perhaps a good cleaning to remove old coagulated lubricant (I like nahptha, or Zippo or Ronsonal brands of cigarette lighter fluid), and a light re-lube job with modern lubricants like Labelle, Aerolube, etc. will restore it to it’s great operating performance. It’s definitely worth the effort.

Bill in Ft. Lauderdale (aka Railtwister)

Back