Comments, Counsel, Critique and Criticisms sought and welcomed

GrandpaCoyote

Wiley Old Dog
Hello Gang;

After a brief hiatus we got the roadbed down and the landscape scenery done on the middle peninsula of the layout. There are still some buildings to be added here – stock pens, windmill, water tank and county co op building etc. –but otherwise the area is basically done.

This is the first scenery work I’ve ever done and I am looking to hear back any opinions good or bad. Feedback from my peers is the greatest and most informative guide there is so please feel free to give any you have – not just looking for “atta boy” here, although they are always nice. :)

The area depicted is a stock pen spur on the old AT&SF line in northeastern Arizona near Pinta Az.

To save space on the forums I have created a photo album for the pictures at:

http://picasaweb.google.com/Grandpawcoyote/Scenery

Thanks in advance for your time and comments.

Peace.

I think you should do it all again:eek: .......................... over here at my place:D Looks great Coyote!! keep up the awesome work:D

Ken.

Great Job!...The colors look great against that skyline....If you don't like it, I'll take it!!! LOL :D

Hi Coyote,

Your rock outcroppings look better than anything I've ever done - nice job!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Coyote,

Your rock outcroppings look better than anything I've ever done - nice job!

About your paved roads: It looks like your using some type of packaged foam rubber 'asphalt'. It does a fine job of simulating a freshly paved [or re-surfaced] highway, if that's the look you're aiming for. But was it common for all the roads thru a town [in the mid-1950's] to look that new?

If the model asphalt material can be painted, you'll probably want to make it a more sun-bleached shade of gray, with exhaust/oil residue in the center of each lane. [I can show you what I did for a few of my roads if you're interested, let me know.]

Do that, and people won't even realize they're looking at a model!:cool:

I think it might be track road bed Ken:confused:

Ken.

looking good

I like the choice of colours, the yellows blend well with the blue skys, its hard to get the right tones but you managed it.. Good job

John

Well, I like that you're modeling the desert, so few people have the tenacity to do so, and I admire you for that. I have some suggestions!

-Lighting: You may want to take all your traditional Incandescent Light Bulbs, and switch to the true-color spectrum GE Reveal Bulbs. They make your hard work look 100% better.

-Did you research what your stretch of desert has to offer as far as the types of vegetation, rocks, and sand? Any Saguro Cactus' in the region *(or other Cactus) How about Joshua Trees, or other unusual plants?

now for a couple questions:

-What's the crumpled red-brown thing? Scrap Metal out in the desert?

-Is the paved black top road? What's with the unorthodox crossover? (Or is that where track will be laid?)

Finally Praise!
-I really like you you made those dirt roads, they're PERFECT!!
-The "Doughnut" Dirt Road tells a narrative piece in itself!
-I love the little tree in photo 1, how'd you make it?

I think you should do it all again:eek: .......................... over here at my place:D Looks great Coyote!! keep up the awesome work:D

Ken.

Ken,

Let's see Christchurch, New Zealand from Denton, Texas ... hrm it's only 7755 miles (12481 km). I'll be over after dinner. :p
Thanks for the compliment.. I'll keep at it. :)

Peace.

Awesome work, you're surely mastering that desert scenery!

Josh,

Thank you sir. Pelle Soeborg's book "Mountain to Desert" has helped me a huge amount. He's even kind enough to list the exact products he used in an appendix in back... I took that and ran out and ordered the materials and it's was a good choice. Sometimes the right product helps make up for a lot on inexperience. ;)

Thanks again.

Peace.

Great Job!...The colors look great against that skyline....If you don't like it, I'll take it!!! LOL :D

Bob,

Thanks :D Oh I do like it! But sometimes it helps to get feedback from your brother and sister modelers - I find that if I work in a vacuum too long I loose focus. :rolleyes: hazard of working on such minutiae I think :: laughs:: get over focused on one thing and forget the other.

Thanks again for your input and praise they mean a lot.

Peace.

I like the choice of colours, the yellows blend well with the blue skys, its hard to get the right tones but you managed it.. Good job

John

John,

Thank you, that was a major undertaking a lot of the photos I have all have a slightly different color balance. A lot of them are older photos from the 1960's and the colors are just a bit off, as you'd expect. I was hoping that the colors looked right not just to my eye.

Thanks again for your input.

Peace.

Back