Coming to you from Provo, UT

bob

Administrator
Staff member
So this morning I got curious as to where the new server that I leased was located, so I did some googling and tracked the IP address.

It turns out that it's located in Provo, UT. Located south of Salt Lake City, Provo is most definitely a railroad town, with a long involvement in the history of the Union Pacific and especially the Denver & Rio Grande Western.

A google maps search on the address shows that the server building is located right across the street from the big railroad yard in the center of town.

I think that's pretty dang cool, I can't think of a more fitting place for a railroad and model railroad website to be located.

Wonder how much they'd charge me to put a webcam on the roof, point it at the yard, and launch a live feed? :)

Wow! That's pretty awesome the server ended up being in that location!

It would be sweet to have a live feed of a busy yard on here.

It really would, but I'm pretty sure that's not a service they offer. :) It's a giant ugly concrete building, the only obvious signs of it not being a regular warehouse is a truly massive bank of what look to be air handling units, presumably to keep the place cool.

Pretty sure nobody much notices the place.

1585073033752.png

So this morning I got curious as to where the new server that I leased was located, so I did some googling and tracked the IP address.

It turns out that it's located in Provo, UT. Located south of Salt Lake City, Provo is most definitely a railroad town, with a long involvement in the history of the Union Pacific and especially the Denver & Rio Grande Western.

A google maps search on the address shows that the server building is located right across the street from the big railroad yard in the center of town.

I think that's pretty dang cool, I can't think of a more fitting place for a railroad and model railroad website to be located.

Wonder how much they'd charge me to put a webcam on the roof, point it at the yard, and launch a live feed? :)
Bob!!!! That would be awesome! That would have my curiosity to find out that cost...... Sweeeeeet! And yes it is cool that the server is there!

Bob!!!! That would be awesome! That would have my curiosity to find out that cost...... Sweeeeeet! And yes it is cool that the server is there!

Well, if I ever start making money on the forum, I might explore my options. However, I'm pretty sure they'd have no interest in doing it. This is a truly massive data center, hosting thousands and thousands of servers. You're visiting websites hosted there every day. They're one of only three data centers in the world that rate the "officially approved" recommendation from Wordpress. It also notes that over 2 million websites are hosted there.

So, uhm, yeah, I'm just a very tiny corner of a very massive crowd. Pretty sure they have on interest in doing anything custom like that, even though it's fun to imagine.

Should I ever actually host a railroad webcam, I have someplace far more close to home that I might consider. It's also on a very busy mainline.

But it's definitely not in the budget right now, especially with the current uncertainties.

Back