Come on in to Coffee Shop 21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mikey, that sounds like a good idea: think of the jobs it will create...and its GREEN!:D

Jim: They still have that word in the forecast: "TRICKY". I just hope we don't have freezing rain. Gads, that stuff is awful!.

Chris: You will be dirt (or close) when you see a high speed rail. The whole plan of HS rail throughout the nation is a late, but a good one. I find it hard to believe it will ever get off the ground...well, maybe by the time they are ready to start, we will have "Jetson" type vehicles and not need it.:rolleyes:

Had a small Op session last night and enjoyed great fun with some of the gang. It sure was good getting the freight moving again. Did I mention finishing the plaster project. Yeah man, I got it done. Its not "detailed" and is only covered with ground foam, but the track is ballasted and the hills certainly look better than the wood bones it used to be. I hope to post some photos later this weekend.
JIM: I still have some cleaning and straightening to do, but we can probably start looking at some dates for you to come up. Do you think a Saturday or weekday is best? Either one will work for me, but with a Saturday, i could probably get Bill B. and maybe a couple of others over.

It's a balmy 50 here. It might make it up to 55. Somebody seems to have left the freezer door up north open. The word for to is thunderstorms, as in that's what we've been having. Just one after the other and with thunderclaps coming like a series of bomb blasts going off. I'll be glad when it ends.

HELLLLLLOOOOOO!!!!

Sheeesh!! Where'd everybody go to now?!?!?!?

OK--now that I scared even the cobwebs:D:D:D I can say we had sun---and bitter CCCOLD:eek::eek:-----want some o' dis??:confused::eek::rolleyes::rolleyes:

CULTR----:D:D:D:D:D;)

Afternoon, everyone.

John, sorry, I never said welcome to Flo's before. I assume you're still stuck with the tab this week. :) Man, 4 degrees would mean instant death for me.

Tom, you have a slow weekend??? That never happens. What's wrong? ;)

Barry, you Canucks always make things sound even colder with your high falootin' Celsius stuff. Let's see, -9c is...ahh, multiply by 1.2 and carry the one...and what, add 3 to the square root of Pi? So that means it's, what about 52 real degrees up there? Or did I do something wrong? :rolleyes:

Chris, it's not in the 70's here but better than -C. You'll pay tomorrow though. Some big thunderstorms headed your way then some cold air for next week.

Mikey, just think if we could harvest all the hot air from DC and Ottawa? Free electricity and instant global warming. :eek:

Rex, looks like the freezing rain line is Gadsden north so I think we're safe. I don't see it getting colder further south until the precipitation is pretty much over. I agree with the HRS thing. Most of it will be buried in the ground along with Chris before we see a train run. Saturdays are usually fine for me. I wouldn't mind seeing a few of the guys that are available and I'm really looking forward to seeing what you've done along the back. Just shoot me an e-mail and I'll clear my calendar.

Jeffrey, no thunder here yet...hardly any rain, actually. The air is still pretty dry, so we've started getting some light rain. A few hits on the lightning detector but nothing like what you've been getting.

My weather station has been slowly dying over the last couple of months. First the rain gauge quit and now the temperature sensor is constantly reading 10 degrees too high. Cripes, the thing is only 20 years old. :rolleyes: Radio Shack is having a sale on the same type of station I have now for $199, so I decided it was time to spring for a new one. As far as I can tell, it's the same thing I have now, with a few improvements. The difference is that my original station cost me $500! I think we should let companies that make weather stations run the economy. We'd get everything at half the price we paid for it 20 years ago and they don't need government subsidies. :D

Jim I think we could add the air from all the provincial and state capitals too. Then we'd be in nice warm temps!!:):)

I like this conversion---C*x1.8+32=F* There is another one that is even more picky but----:):):)

I like yours even better---at least it gets one going in the right direction!!:D:D

Good evening gents and ladies,

It’s been several days since my last visit here so I figured I should make an appearance.

Jim, thanks for the well-wishes – Vicky is recovering quite nicely, she resumed working again this week. But she can’t do hospital rounds while she has that cast on. Getting into- and out of the house is a challenge because our house is a split-foyer; there’s no way of getting to the main areas of the house without negotiating a flight of stairs. For this reason I still do all the laundry [and anything else involving trips into the basement]. At least she can get the cast off a week from Monday. Then perhaps I can once again get active with my trainroom makeover project.

The weather from north Texas to NC looks horrible with all that ice. I sure hope Carey made it safely to his daughter’s house in Little Rock before they got clobbered…

Rex, you’re givin’ me an envy attack talking about your layout....j/k, hope you get a good crowd together for that op session.

Karl – Good luck on that new house, hope you can get decent financing on it. Sounds like that basement might be big enough to fit all your modules.

I know I missed a bunch of you, nothin’ personal I’m sure you understand. I just don’t seem to find the time these days to write long posts…

Ken, it does feels good to be running again. However, I mustn't get carried away like I did with the signals and control. There is so much to do and I probably won't be able to work on the layout after I'm 90. I must hurry! LOL :D :D

Chris: you guys best get the shovel out for that ground breaking ceremony. Birmingham just announced that they are going forward with plans for the new HS system. (WHAT A CROCK OF...err...mess!) They are on the verge of bankruptcy and they have the nerve to even mention this. I realize that the system will be built with Monopoly money, but they haven't a dime to go with it. Plain danged idiots! vent over

Jim: Got a good bit of rain and the temp got down to 39F, but it is now up to 46. Tomorrow afternoon is when it will really get cold around here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Howdy, Y'all.

CJ, hope you're already in Little Rock. Looks really nasty on the radar right now.

Jim,

I did come over Thursday. Right after I arrived, it started with a good sleeting. Then freezing rain, sleet and snow for the rest of the night and most of today we had a mixture of it all, finally topping it all off with about an inch of snow. If I had waited until Friday, I wouldn't have made it to Memphis, much less here.
I had to get something out of my truck about dark, and couldn't get it out as the truck was encased in about 3/4" of solid ice. The roads are very dangerous, but I have no plans to get out in it.

Its supposed to be worse back toward Memphis. Hopefully, by Sunday, it will have melted enough to make the trip home safe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chris: you guys best get the shovel out for that ground breaking ceremony. Birmingham just announced that they are going forward with plans for the new HS system. (WHAT A CROCK OF...err...mess!) They are on the verge of bankruptcy and they have the nerve to even mention this. I realize that the system will be built with Monopoly money, but they haven't a dime to go with it. Plain danged idiots! vent over

HEHEHEhehehehehehehehe.... Stupidy is winning in solid sets! Whats red and Black going 200mph?............................................A red neck wearing his flanal shirt in the new HSR Train!:eek: ok not that funny but watch the 200mph redneck jokes form!;)

The News hasn't shut up about this HSR thing, now their on the NASA kick and how man space flight took a big big hit in funding?

Honest to God I think we are going to crash! a 200mph crash at that!:eek:

Mornin' All,

Woke up to 8 degrees this morning. Thats double yesterday. I may look for the shorts and t-shirt maybe fire up the minibike.:D

Jim, Thanks for the welcome and yes I've still got the tab. So everyone eat up and Flo, keep the hot and black coming.

Chris, We're still in the dark ages as far as rail travel goes. Just turned down funding for a new Amtrack route. I never understood the highspeed thing thought the time spent riding was most enjoyable.

Got shopping with the wife and basketball with the oldest daughter today so won't get much MRR time. Maybe some tonight.

Good Morning from IceBlockVille

Wherein we are currently at -22C with the windchill at -28C.:mad: Somebody want to have this?:eek:

As far as this HSR thing is concerned. The big boys want to play with their toys:mad: We don't have the money to keep basic services but we sure have the $$$ for toys---HSR as the new crack:mad: I better get off'n this soapbox:eek::rolleyes: Grumble snork snurkle gripe:rolleyes::(:(

We ended up getting told this morning that our weekend seminar has to be cancelled for today as a case of brokenpipe occurred at the university and left our class area under the water----:eek::(---hopefully tomorrow something will come up---:eek::):)

So. I get to do some MR stuff today instead:D:D:D

Have a good one, people:D:D:D

HEHEHEhehehehehehehehe.... Stupidy is winning in solid sets! Whats red and Black going 200mph?............................................A red neck wearing his flanal shirt in the new HSR Train!:eek: ok not that funny but watch the 200mph redneck jokes form!;)

You mean besides the jokes about NASCAR? :p:D

Its a whopping -2 degrees this morning, with -12degree wind chill. This stuff is cold!! and here i was thinking spring is on its way. Alot of snow over the Atlantic States so maybe thatll help us out here. I dont mind extreme cold as long as theres snow wiht it.

Dixie is going bonker-nuts. The only people who know how to drive in snow n ice are the Yankee POW's we natives are here to guard and those of us who've lived above the MDL for any length of time and a few Virginians near the de-militarized zone (that's Maryland to y'all).

And to think I moved back South to get AWAY from this crap. :mad: If y'all Yanks keep up this weather-warfare, we Confederate folk will have no choice but to go Mosby on y'all and start tearin' up track and blowin' up stuff. :p

(On the good side, it's perfect model railroad weather!)

OK I got a new one fer ya's!:eek: We just got a 1.25 Billion dollar Check for a Choo-Choo Twain and we have to come up for the other 7.5 billion. Now with that said Get this, Our Health dept. is screaming for money cause the infulx of earth quake victoms are having on our Hospitals and Health care system. The Anti-Crist is crying to the Fed to help with the cost as well as trying to dump some of these paitents on other states. We can't afford to help the EQ victoms and the people who live here are having problems with getting in to the trama units cause they a filled up with earth quake survivors! This state is in dire straights, we can't afford to help the EQ victoms, Locals are waiting for health care in local Hospitals cause they are loaded up with EQ victoms and Unemployment is drying up. Hospitals are scared they will have to eat crow when it comes to the EQ victoms?!?!?!?!? Yet the HSR system is full tilt On track!:eek::) Good God priorties People!!!!!!!!!!! I'm done with soap box issues.....going shopping in the rain! CUL!;)

Reading all you guys HSR comments has me laughing so hard, I never will get off the floor and accomplish anything today.

Today (when I stop laughing), I am going to get setup to re-paint a long backdrop. Some may remember: it is the one I wanted to learn how to paint with the gradient blue/white method. When I had to remove that air conditioner in September, the backdrop had to be taken down. This messed it up, so its overdue for a new paint job. ( I put off more crap! :eek:)

:)I will CUL today! Ya'll have a good'un.:)

Afternoon coffeeshopians.

Been a long time since I dropped in. Life has been pretty hectic and stressful the last couple months. It is finally settling down thankfully. Taking a full load at school. Haven't been working in 3 months, but I get as many hours I can next week at the family business, which hopefully will be enough to buy a math book.

About HSR, I think it would be interesting if they could get their act together and accomplish it, but again, look at who we are talking about it.

Well I am off to celebrate the big 20... and to think my parents always said it would be a miracle if I lived to 18, at least now I can pretend I have my act together.

Afternoon all!

Its a whopping 15 degrees and snowing outside, we've got 5 inches on the ground and its still coming!!:eek: I agree with LTF,,,,I'm getting to hate winter too myself! Stepson #2 and his GF (.)(.) are marooned here for the night. Good thing he brought his PS3 with him!!

Ken, Glad to hear the wife is doing better! I did find a house, and am putting a contract on it Monday. It's got 1264 square ft of railroad room downstairs!! Plenty of room for the modules, plus more! Woohoo! Plus a 1 car mancave attached and a shed for the Deeres! Its on the south side of Westminster, not too far from Bill's house. Betcha I get trains running before he does!!!!!;):p

I'll letcha know when moving day is. Might need all hands on deck for this one!:D

Littlefoot! Watch those NASCAR jokes.........or else I may have to start a DMSF on ya!;)

Furyus Thanks for the sirloin & potato ;) If'n ya don't mind, that lemon merange looks mighty tasty!

Dan, Happy birthday to ya!!! Oh to be 20 again. :rolleyes:

Finally
High speed rail, in Dixie?? Ya'll gotta be kiddin, right? I thought that meant any train that so much as moved down there!! After an experience years ago on the Silver Meteor I'm convinced that no matter how much gas costs, when I go south, I do it in my car. 26 hours from D.C. to Miami! I actually felt sorry for the poor buggers that boarded that trip in Boston! They were on the train so long, even the ladies had to shave!:eek:

Afternoon, everyone.

Barry, if we added the hot air from all the state, provincial, and municipal chambers, we could melt the polar ice cap in days. :) Let's see...-22c...so that's 1.3 times the circumference of the earth minus all the HSR grants...carry the one...holy cow, it's like 52 degrees below zero in real degrees up there. No wonder your pipes broke. You guys should switch back to Imperial measurement again and then it wouldn't seem so cold. :rolleyes:

Ken, I'm amazed to hear that Vicky was able to resume work this week. Must be a tough girl. I'm sure she's itching (literally) to get that cast off. I know you can't wait for it to come off. OTOH, you've built up some points with her, I'm sure, for being a loyal, if grumbling, husband. :D

Rex, where is the Birmingham train going to go? I can see they might make a few bucks on game days over in T-Town but what other city needs this service? OK, dumb question, what other city is going to get this service...assuming it ever really happens.

CJ, I'm glad to hear you made it there Thursday, since it looked awful on the radar and ground observations yesterday. If you have the option to wait until Monday, I'd do it. It still hasn't gotten above freezing there today and it's going down to 17 tonight. If you're lucky, it might make it up to a few degrees above freezing tomorrow. It should get up in the mid 40's there Monday and up to near 60 here, and I suspect you'll have a much safer drive Monday.

John, at the rate you're doubling temperatures, you'll soon have palm trees sprouting in the front yard. :)

Chris, I read that same story about the hospitals not wanting to take more earthquake victims. Isn't this why the $160 million was raised in that awful concert? Last I heard, the people of the US have donated almost $400 million for Haiti relief. It seems like paying these poor folks hospital bills is a legitimate use of that money. If I was the Guv, I'd be screaming to high heaven for the Red Cross to come in and take on this burden. Seems like the O-man could come up with a few bucks too, since our military is dumping off the patients.

LTF, I hear it gets cold up in Canada in the winter. I guess you've just confirmed it. ;)

WV, you have no idea what traffic chaos is like until you try to cross Donner Summit on I80...on a Sunday afternoon...in a driving snowstorm...with about 900,000 skiers trying to make it back to the Bay area. Makes your drivers look like experts. I actually think some Californians enjoy running off into ditches, so they have chance to throw snow balls while they wait for the tow truck.

Dan, HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Enjoy it, you'll never be this young again. You'll wish you could be, but it ain't gonna happen. How much is your math book? I just bought the three books my daughter needs for her nursing classes and they were $446 - and that was online...and used. :eek: That's another BLI Paragon 2 down the drain. :( I told her she had to take of me when I stroke out as punishment. :D

I'm sure glad the precipitation got out of here before the cold air hit. Don't know what the temperature is in the backyard but it's 37 in Montgomery, and I think the wind chill is about -22c...or something really cold. My temperature sensor went out altogether last night. My new weather station showed up today. I went out back to check locations to install the sensors. Between having mud all over me and freezing to death, I decided I could live without have the temperature sensor working for at least another day. It's got to be really bad when a weather nerd has new toys and just keeps them in the box. Yuck!

Just a quick stop in.

If I can get my book used, I am looking at $200 dollars. New, I don't even want to think about it. I have only been able to find it new. Add that on to the 500 bucks I have already spent on books this semester. I can't wait till next year, the university I am transferring to loans the books out so students pay nothing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back