Columbia, Mo. 1963

Made some progress on the oil dealer.
IMG_0547.jpg

IMG_0558.jpg

IMG_0554.jpg

Nice scene, Joe. Now all you need is to weather those tanks a bit. Nice '57 Ford Fairlane, if I'm not mistaken.

I have some pipes and a few other odds and ends to add yet, as well as a bit of weathering on the tanks. I also need to work on the gravel parking area some more. The Classic Metal Works '59 Fairlane really sets the time period. I hope to finish it up over the weekend.

Josh,
The ground throws work great. The only thing is they are a bit out of scale but with some weathering and ballast i don't think they will look to bad.
I've seen N scale ground throws used on HO layouts and they look more "scale" than the HO ones. Go figure. I like manual ground throws, and I'll bet you're right about weathering & ballasting your -- they'll look fine.

Riverotter,
I experimented with the N scale ground throws. They work OK and look a bit more scale but are to small for my fingers.

Steve,
I don't have a scale drawing of the track plan. What I did is work from the prototype track diagrams and arrange the turnouts to match. At this point I have every track the prototype did, although they are compressed in length. I have about 70% of the track work done. I’ll add an over all shot in the next few days.

Alcomotive,
My system is the basic Digitrax Zephyr with plugs added for walk around throttles that I haven't added yet. I plan to add a DT400 throttle. So far it works perfect.

Here is tour of what I have so far.

Here is mixed train No.34 at the passenger platform in Columbia ready to depart for the connection with the main line in Centralia, 22 miles away.
This part of the layout is modeled after an aerial shot taken at the same time period I'm modeling. The passenger platform will be modeled between the edge of the layout and the track the train is on. The two stub ended tracks in the center will be the TOFC ramp and team track. The track in the back will serve the MFA fertilizer plant as well as Benton-Hecht Moving and storage. The track work in this area is complete.

IMG_0600.jpg

As the train departs we cross over Park Ave. This will be a ballasted deck underpass, same as the prototype.

IMG_0601.jpg

This area of the layout represents from the Park Ave. underpass to Collage Ave. We have the sidings for Boone County Warehouse, Johnson Concrete, Standard Oil, and the Municipal Power Plant, as well as a warehouse that was no longer served in the time period I'm modeling. The track work in this area is complete except for the two sidings nearest the back drop.

IMG_0599.jpg

This area will be the US70 underpass, it was still pretty new in 1963. lots of work to still do here. I may have to notch the bench work to get enough below track level for the concrete underpass.

IMG_0602.jpg

IMG_0603.jpg

This are will be the stretch of track that ran parallel to Paris Rd. I'm going to model the sidings for Missouri Cement, Southerland lumber (the two crossed each other) and, Long Bell Lumber before the line goes thru the back drop to staging. I have room to expand the layout but want to get this section done before I do so. I have just about everything to still do here.

IMG_0605.jpg

Here we GP7 #450 picking up an empty tank car from Standard Oil. This is the only scene that is about done.

IMG_0622.jpg

Awesome work! Thanks for taking us on your tour! Very nice...cant wait to see you continued progress! 2 thumbs up!

Joe, I don't know how I missed this thread all this time. Anyhow, you have made some excellent progress and have some fine looking scenes developing. Keep up the good work. ;)

Gads, I just was looking about and found this thread. Wife went to school in Centralia. Lots of family there.

Loco,
You wouldn't belive all the people that have contacted me scince I started this build thread! It is really cool to hear from people that live, went to school, work, or are also modeling the area! I've learned so much in the last few months that I'm working on modifing the plan to use some of my new data. If you have any picturs of eather railroad in town let me know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Humm, I might swing by the lib and see what they might have when I get a chance.

And you have no idea the pressure I got when I was only going to model U.P. So I'm going to include a KCS line and an interchange of some sort AND that gave me an excuse to buy another loco!! :D

Joe,

Great looking layout. I grew up in Centralia and always thought of modeling the line one day. The Wabash Historical Society has a past issue full of info on the branch. I've got it at home, I'll let you know which one it is. I'm headed to Centralia this weekend, maybe I'll catch a train in town!

Keith Baker

Keith,
I knew the historical society had published an issue of The Banner with an article on the branch but don’t have a copy and I don’t know witch one it was in. Any help would me much appreciated.

I found some Sanborn maps on line, most from about 1904-1920, 40+ years before the time I'm modeling but nice to have. This one shows the end of track in Columbia.
getimage-idx.jpg

Joe,

It is the Winter/Spring 1999 issue of the Banner from the Wabash Historical Society. I picked it up at a train show in St. Charles, MO back in January. The Society had a table set up with all kinds of Wabash stuff and I saw the issue about Centralia/Columbia and picked it up. Here is their website: http://home.comcast.net/~wabashrr/pubindex.html

If you want more details on what that issue has, let me know.

Keith Baker

Back