Columbia, Mo. 1963

Ted,
Thanks for the info. Is your layout of the Columbia branch? I would like to see some pics. I'd like to what some else has done to model my favorite prototype.

DSC02660.jpg

DSC02657.jpg

Track down on the new section. Some of it is still temporary while I work out the grade.

Not much progress to report. Just some hoppers kits getting out of the box and onto the tracks and the installation of some Caboose Industries ground throws. Now with the hoppers I can start switching the university power plant. I replaced the wheels sets with Proto 2000's metal wheels and the couplers with McHenery's.
DSC02698.jpg

DSC02700.jpg

Joe, thanks for the shot of the Caboose throws. Makes me feel safer about buying them for my layout.

Hi guys...Looks good joe...
I was gonna pick up a piece of plywood today and extend my Columbia
branch a little bit...but my pick-up went in the shop yesterday...so I'll have to wait a few days....aside from the ground throws..theres' another cool thing
about doin' "the branch"...NO SIGNALS...unless you model part of the wye at Centralia...then you may have to put in one for that....

Ted
Mid-MO
________
cheap vaporizer

Last edited by a moderator:
Josh,
The ground throws work great. The only thing is they are a bit out of scale but with some weathering and ballast i don't think they will look to bad.
Ted,
I intend to exstend my branch all the way to the wye in Centrailia but that will be a while before I'm ready for that.

Very neat looking trackwork, Joe. I wish I could say I did as neat a job when I laid mine. Call Walthers and get those warped handrails replaced! I got my kit yesterday and what a difference.

Josh, the Caboose ground throws work great. They also have a model with a target and lantern that looks great although it's not quite as durable as the low ground throw. What I've done with mine is paint the handle ends with green and red glitter paint, depending on the direction of the the handle. Really makes the position of the switch stand out instead of guessing.

Here are some shots of the layout as it is today.
Josh thought you might want a better view of the ground throws. When I installed them I trimmed the pin that fits in the throw bar shorter so it didn't stick thru and rub on the cork. I also drilled the hole in throw bar bigger for the pin, I think they had flash in the holes. I put a dab of glue on the bottom and spiked them in place. They do work great.
Jim, thanks for your coments on the track work. I found the Atlas flex track to be very easy to work with. So far everything works great.
IMG_2018.jpg

IMG_2019.jpg

IMG_2020.jpg

Well no update in a long time. I've been running the layout and testing out the track before I even think about ballast and scenery. I have just finished the lighting valance and fascia. I really like the shadow box effect. I also have started building the structures that make up the oil dealer.
DSC02776.jpg

DSC02777.jpg

DSC02778.jpg

Looks good, Joe. You're being a smart guy by taking your time to make sure the trains and tracks work right before you jump into scenery.

Lookin good!...I would post a pic but I dont know how...still gotta few kinks to iron out on my Columbia branch...

Ted
ps....where did you get that aerial shot of Columbia?
________
Suzuki DR350SE

I went to high school in Columbia and have watched trains on both branches into town. Still wake the Katy when I visit the parents. There was quite a model railroad group in town in the 70's and from seeing some layouts there still is a very active group of modelers around Columbia.

The arial shot of Columbia is from the book "More Railroads You Can Model" by Kalmbach Publishing Company. I don't know if it is still in print but Amazon has it.

Yes, I have a copy....You must have blown it up a little....
I also have a couple of Sanborn maps for that area....they're
different dates so they show different layouts

ted
________
SH125

Back