Columbia, Mo. 1963

joem5127

Here are some shots of the first train to run on my layout depicting the Wabash RR Columbia branch that ran from Centralia to Columbia Mo. My layout is set in the fall of 1963. Some of the track work is still temporary, I'm still making adjustment so the structure will fit. The track layout matches the prototypes at the time I'm modeling.
Train arriving in Columbia.
DSC02599.jpg

Our GP has run around the short train and begins switching the local industries.
DSC02600.jpg

DSC02601.jpg

DSC02602.jpg

With the work done for the day the loco ties up.
DSC02603.jpg

Short video of train arriving.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DA8miaMR_hw

The longer track at the back was a co-op fertilizer plant. The two short stub tracks are a team track/ unloading ramp. The track at the front was the freight house and passenger station platform. I have an airial view that was taken some time in the '60's that I will post later.

Good luck Joe, 1963 brings back a lot of memories , baseball , first girlfriend and the old NewYork Central running thru my backyard !!!!

Joe,
You've started off with some very neat foam work and track laying. Looks like you'll have a nice, trouble-free layout when you're done.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aclomotive,
Your right you don't see much Wabash. Until recently there wasn't much available in the way locomotives decorated for the Wabash. That has changed in the last few years and it makes it much easier to recreate the Wabash.

not to sound stooopid, and don't laugh, but without going to the storage unit and digging thru the dust and spiders, I have that same GP unit in a box packed deep in the dust of memory and antiquity. is that a hi-nose 40 or are they gp50's????

and
Do they run long or short hood forward???

Scoot

Scoot,
Assuming you mean the Wabash unit, it's a GP-7, long before the SD-40 or 50 was a gleam in a designer's eye. :) One of the tip-offs is the single large air horn mounted on the side of the short hood. That was a hallmark of an unmodified factory standard GP-7, along with the three battery compartment vents on the short nose.

Jim is right. It is a GP7. This one is from Atlas, I still need to put the end hand rails and number board on but it runs great!

Yes I meant the Wabash.
I'm talking from memory here mind you, because all my trains are still boxed in the storage unit. I'm afraid of going over there and bringing them home just yet. I still have a ton of medical tests and therapy and bills to do.
But to get to the point:
The Wife and Kinder bought me a diesel unit for XMas back in the 80's The spouse instigated it since the child wasn't even 1 year old at the time and the other 2 kids hadn't shown up yet.
I'm no diesel expert. In fact I'm not even a diesel amature. I'm a soot and cinder steam fan. But the unit she got for me was a high hood GP something or other. I recognize a GP 4 wheel axle from a SD 6 axle but can't tell the difference between a Century and a U-Boat. Fact of the matter I can't tell a F from an E Covered Wagon. Don't go Awwwwwwww. I just have not bothered with diesels. I can tell a Hudson from a Pacific though.

So I was just curious about the GP unit. It looks similar to the one I was given. BTW the unit I got was painted in Erie Lakawana and was a Bachman issue. A GREAT runner as I remember.

But thanx anyway for the info.

Scoot

Hi
I live here in Columbia....
I thought I was the only one....did you live here once?
I also am doing the branch....coming along slowly

Ted
Midmo
________
medical marijuana grow

Hey Joe M..........
Do you know (or heard of ) Mark Vaughan?
He's does decals and is a wealth of Wabash info....

Ted
midmo
________
Yamaha IT490

Ted,
No have never lived in Mo. but I have been a Wabash fan for many years. They ran through my home town of Fort Wayne, IN. I was originally planning on modeling part of the line out of Detroit but quickly realized that project was going to be to much for my resources, time, money, and space. I always liked the Columbia branch. I railfaned the line a few years ago was hooked. The hard decision ended up being weather to model the early 1960's or as is now, the Columbia Terminal, COLT RR.
Don't know Mark Vaughan. I have gotten all my information for this project from various books.

Howdy
Its a perfect switching rr to model....although my layout is just under a scale mile long...I can still make it interesting...I have a P2K GP 7 with the torpedo tanks on the roof...so I can pull the combine....I use a combine instead of the 2 pax cars to save space....If your looking for decals...Mark Vaughan does them....go to yoyr search page (whichever you use) go to Des PLaines Hobbies...they sell his items....or I can look up his email and give it to you..I can do that after dinner....I also make some Wabash caboose decals myself..and I do custom cabooses....sell them mostly on ebay but I do special orders for modelers if they want them.....

Ted
________
drugtest

Back