Colors for my personal railroad

Colors

• Total voters

Modeltrains2021

Hi there I'm having a tough time choosing a color for my personal rail road any ideas would be helpful ik it's up to me to choose but I can't think of one.

Hi. Is there a railroad out there you like? Have you looked at online rail photos of locomotives to see what the colors are like on those.

I found

Railpictures.net

to be helpful in my choice
DB40B4C3-0FA3-4B2F-8261-43D6C94B0789.jpeg

I worked with Matt Welke of

circuitcitydecals.com

in refining my choice of designs and for my decals

good luck

TomO

I generally like bright colors so when it came time to chose a livery color I picked yellow and orange. The three locos to the left are in that livery and there are two passenger trains, one in that scheme and one in yellow and blue. The orange and black loco I painted and named after my Grandfather's Ice business from back in the 20' and 30's. he was using horse's and wagons at the time but I think he would have liked that loco. The main thing is not to get the paint design too complicated. It's a lot of work at best.

Attachments

• 100_0002 (30).JPG
    100_0002 (30).JPG
    616.7 KB · Views: 78
What era? What does your railroad do?

Coal haulers tended to have darker paint schemes than non-coal focused roads. Older eras tended to have darker, more conservative paint schemes than newer. Around the 1960's bright colors became more popular.

How many engines are you going to paint and how skilled are you at painting and decaling?

Complicated schemes applied to a dozen engines is more challenging than a single color scheme with no color separations with fewer stripes and lettering.

Darker colors are easier to apply. Yellow can be challenging.

For a bright paint scheme, how about lime green with a pink stripe, numbers and lettering for rolling stock?
Black engines with a pink stripe, numbers and lettering works for both steam and diesels.
You would have little trouble identifying your property.

Back