Coffee XXXII Apr. 14th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning

Nice and sunny out..coolish though..high supposed to be near 48F now....

Got some dethatching of the flower gardens to get to today as well as some other home related stuff...friend actually got sent home yesterday and is recovering quite nicely at home....:)

Have a good day people! :)

Good morning. It's 62° and cloudy with a slight chance of showers in the morning. The high will be 72° with a 20% chance of showers and thunderstorms.

Feeling a bit fuzzy this morning. Can't concentrate and keep forgetting what I'm going to do. I had planned to do something with the Frankenstein F unit trio. It's right in front of me and I have no idea whatsoever what I was going to do with it. Nor do I have any idea about what I was going to type next.

Not the same photo as yesterday but it's close. This one's an F7. Yesterdays was an F3.

P1010762.jpg

Good morning from SoCal. 54 heading for a sunny and warm 81. This should be the weather through Sunday. Day 2 of the work week is actually my Friday as I'll be home the remainder of the week.

Hey, I remembered what I was going to do with the Frankenstein trio. I was going to check the wheels to see if they needed cleaning. Complete waste of time on my part. They're spotless. I've had trains running pretty much all day every day for the past couple of weeks. Ran my fingers over the rails a little while ago and got a barely visible gray smudge. That's GLEAM for you! I have three locos pulling fifteen cars. Only one of those cars has plastic wheels, a Tyco Diamond Chemicals tank car. All the others have metal wheels.

Good Morning
Here's the weather report from the Weather Underground:
Now Clear
Temperature 68.7 °F
Feels Like 68.7 °F
Wind(mph) 0.8
Sunrise / Set 6:20 AM / 7:36 PM
Moon: Waning Crescent
More Astronomy
Today Clear 77 °F
Tonight Partly Cloudy 48 °F

If it gets to 77* that's going to feel quite warm compared to how it been, for sure.

About two weeks ago, John & I each bought a Ryobi 9" Band Saw which is a great addition to my train-room-workshop and doesn't take up too much space. The saw comes with a fairly nice Miter gauge but didn't come with a fence for some reason but the previous model did and after some checking we both ordered a fence figuring it should fit? John ordered them and he said yesterday, that he received them and they fit and work just fine so I'm going over in a little while and get mine which will will make a very nice addition to a very useful and handy saw for only about $14.00 too plus $3.00 in postage. It sure puts the other little table saw I previously bought to shame. We did also buy a much finer tooth saw blade for it but are looking to purchase a different wood blade yet that even gives a finer cut.

The little Life-Like Dockside sitting on my turn table is cute but needs to be back dated with flat-top cross-heads and Walschert valve gear is I could find them? Possible Bowser has such items available if not an entire dockside engine kit of the Old Varney Dockside, Little Joe?

Enjoy the day

That Little Joe was good to see David.

Thanks Mike,
I'll have to take a better shot of it for you although I also have two other Saddle Tank loco's by MDC you'll probably enjoy too.

While I've got the little Dock-Side running fairly decently and fairly slow the drive rods are not really to my liking and the Cross-heads are too modern as all my other equipment uses the Flat-Top Cross-heads, I have to look-up the correct name for them. A number of years ago I saw where someone had put correct drive rods and even Walschert Valve Gear on a little Dock-Side and it sure looked cute. I wonder if Bowser has a conversition kit to back date the little loc? That's something to check into.

Talk with you again,

David

Thanks Mike,
I'll have to take a better shot of it for you although I also have two other Saddle Tank loco's by MDC you'll probably enjoy too.

While I've got the little Dock-Side running fairly decently and fairly slow the drive rods are not really to my liking and the Cross-heads are too modern as all my other equipment uses the Flat-Top Cross-heads, I have to look-up the correct name for them. A number of years ago I saw where someone had put correct drive rods and even Walschert Valve Gear on a little Dock-Side and it sure looked cute. I wonder if Bowser has a conversition kit to back date the little loc? That's something to check into.

Talk with you again,

David

David
Sadly, Bowser is out of the parts biz, might want to try Yardbirds trains (http://yardbirdtrains.com/). maybe the have something that will work.
Or fleabay?
I guess you want something like this?
97%20at%20mott.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
David
Sadly, Bowser is out of the parts biz, might want to try Yardbirds train. maybe the have something that will work.
Or fleabay?
97%20at%20mott.JPG
Karl, isn't that your sound equipped Docksider?

Subscribing to new thread.

How's it going, fellas?
Going OK here.

Went with my father today to a place in town for soup and a sandwich. I had Cajun gumbo and a Cajun roast beef sandwich on jalapeno bread. To be honest I've had hotter wheat bread. I couldn't taste any jalapeno and the only thing Cajun about the sandwich was the name. Tasted like an ordinary roast beef sandwich. As for the gumbo, it was a bit lean and tasted more like a thin beef stew with rice. The meal was fair but definitely not what I was expecting. Nothing done on the layout today except to check if the track needed to be wiped. Complete waste of time. Other than a very light gray smudge on my fingertips it's clean as a whistle. Other than the above I've been watching some TV and getting some rest.

Going OK here.

Went with my father today to a place in town for soup and a sandwich. I had Cajun gumbo and a Cajun roast beef sandwich on jalapeno bread. To be honest I've had hotter wheat bread. I couldn't taste any jalapeno and the only thing Cajun about the sandwich was the name. Tasted like an ordinary roast beef sandwich.
I've been eating a lot of Subway sandwiches lately, and they let you 'build' them to your specifications. When they get to the jalapeños, I tell them to put lots on. Then, I usually have to tell them to put more on at least two more times. It sure perks up an otherwise tasteless dish. In short, you can never be too rich, or have too many jalapeños.

I've been eating a lot of Subway sandwiches lately, and they let you 'build' them to your specifications. When they get to the jalapeños, I tell them to put lots on. Then, I usually have to tell them to put more on at least two more times. It sure perks up an otherwise tasteless dish. In short, you can never be too rich, or have too many jalapeños.
Now that MY kind of sandwich! Run the rats outta the cellar and rip the tar paper of the roof!

David
Sadly, Bowser is out of the parts biz, might want to try Yardbirds trains (http://yardbirdtrains.com/). maybe the have something that will work.
Or fleabay?

Hi Karl,
Good to get your reply and very glad your feeling much better.

I took the liberty of adjusting your image to show the detail of the Valve gear and drive rods on your very nice Dock Side.

Yes, that is almost exactly what I'm looking for except I like to have the Flat Top steam chests as I think they will still handle the Walschert Valve gear?

I had to do some searching but did find that IHC faithfully reproduced the Little Joe's of Varney Dockside fame. I actually still have the super structure and heavy boiler weight out of the Old Varney I used to have!

So now to see if I can buy it reasonably or not. I did see it listed for $150.00 but really didn't want to spend that much as it really doesn't fit my era but it about the shortest Loco I know of to transfer a car at a time on my 64' Atlas TT.

Karl, would do me a favor and measure your locos overall length from the front step to the rear step so I can compare if it's the same length as the little Life Like [LL] I have. The reason is that as it is now I can just fit the LL plus one shorty 34' coach on the TT and even then the coupler uncoupling pins over hang to the maxium so it barely allows me to pivot the TT around as needed. I imagine they should be the same length but I'm unsure?

90140[/ATTACH]"]
A2CorrectedKarlsDetailedValveGearDockSide2.jpg

Attachments

• A2CorrectedKarlsDetailedValveGearDockSide2.jpg
    A2CorrectedKarlsDetailedValveGearDockSide2.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 122
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back