Coffee XXXII Apr. 14th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good afternoon all,
It a sunny day here and currently 62* per the weather station, going for a high of 70* with a low of 46* tonight so things are warming up a bit.

I'm going to work on building the top portion of the H frame Gallows Truss for my turn-table
which should make the TT look much different.

Say Karl: After looking up the JD40 I can see it's a full size tractor alright! Wouldn't one of the smaller size JD yard tractors be better for you?

In the past I've kept about three plus acres of uneven slooping ground mowed down around my place using a Sears/American Yard Products 18 Hp High rear wheel Garden Tractor that I have almost 1,000 Hrs of of used time on the Hour meter. It's like the larger Husky, and Cub Cadets that now have 26Hp Engines. Mine has served me very well except that I've had to replace the bendix on the starter, and do again now, about 5 times now. Oh, I gone through three seats too butt that's about it. So it's been very serviceable except for the darn bendix and the fact one of the bolts holding the starter in place is a real PIA to get removed and put back.

Say Jeffery: With all the rain I've been getting out here I also had better get my tractor going again to keep the fields mowed down from a fire hazard standpoint as due to past circumstance I haven't for the last couple of years but did use my weed trimmer but the tractor and belly mower is sure a lot easier and more fun too till things dry out and get dusty when the damn Tarrweed is blooming in full force. Thankfully I have kept a pretty good handle on that damn stuff. The stalks get to about 1/4" in diam if not wacked back soon enough.

Take care all and keep the rail deliveries going!

Karl my Kubota is till running great and cuts grass perfectly as long as I keep it out of 4 WD. In 4WD the front tires have a tendency to cut thru the grass and leave ruts.

Larry, the big Deere (1955 model 40) runs great, but makes ruts too, but I think mine has more to do with 3200 pounds of mower on soft ground!:D
JD40.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Say Karl: After looking up the JD40 I can see it's a full size tractor alright! Wouldn't one of the smaller size JD yard tractors be better for you?

See, where I come from that WAS the little mower!! The "other" mower was a JD 720 diesel with a 12 ft bushhog! :D

If I had my druthers, I'd go with a Deere X500 with a 48 inch deck and a snowblower, but the wife says I havnt been a good enough boy for those kinda toys yet!!;)

then there's the Cub, aka the Cub Crapette. If ever there was a such thing as a yellow turd, this is it. Goes though parts like my teenage son goes though Pizza!:eek: Its been to 2 dealers, and many hours of my own, and I can cut the yard better with a Scythe. Its ONLY saving grace, the hydrostatic trans that the wife and son can handle!:rolleyes:
The lawn tractor that went in for repair is a Cub Cadet. I haven't had it long enough to get used to it yet, and if it munches hydrostatic transmissions every 10 hours like it did this time, I won't have it long, either. I replaced a 1998 model Sears hydro drive tractor, and thought I was gaining reliability and economy. I flipped a coin between a comparable John Deere and this one, the JD was $200 more, had a smaller engine, cheap vinyl seat, manual transmission. Since they are both built by MTD, I went with the yellow tractor, all other things being equal.

The lawn tractor that went in for repair is a Cub Cadet. I haven't had it long enough to get used to it yet, and if it munches hydrostatic transmissions every 10 hours like it did this time, I won't have it long, either.
The now 16 year old Peerless tractor (nothing to do with the old steam tractors or the company that makes Peerless trannys) I use still has the original tranny in it. I looked at it a while ago and it's what's called a hydro-matic. If I have to push or pull it I can just go ahead. No harm will come to it. It's always been a howler but it's never let us down. My father's MTD Yardman has a Hydro-static tranny. If you're going to push it or pull it you have to pull back and lock a pin at the back to disengage it. Apparently if you don't there'll be dire consequences. It's small too. I wouldn't give 10¢ for it.

Good afternoon/ evening guys,
Last night, well actually the night before, I got started on actually laying the the timbers on my Atlas TT to that will form the basis of my my H frame Gallows type truss structure.

Looks great David!

Time for me to call it a day. Mowed the parents yard this morning. Later had a twenty foot sweetgum tree at the west edge of my property fall over across the ditch and into the road. Thankfully it fell away from the power and TV cables. The tree had been diseased at the base for some time and the winds today finally got it. My father and I grabbed hold of it and pulled it into the ditch to get it out of the road. No layout work today. See y'all tomorrow.

P1010751.jpg

Looks great David!

Thanks Old 97, [ Mike, is that right?]
But I haven't posted any pics yet of the one I'm building, the H frame TT Truss I did post was a, 'Walt and Howard' model that I'm basing mine on.

Their model though, uses timbers which would appear to be about 2' x 2' square which is considerably over size from the pictures I've seen although they were just of an actual A frame type Gallows and not H Frame.

I'm build mine from beams that are about 18" wide x 2' high as that seems more appropriate to me trying to keep things in scale. But again I haven't seen an actual H frame Truss type Gallows to really know for sure.

Back to work enjoying myself!

Good morning. It's partly cloudy and 60.
Y'all haven't lived until you've discovered that mouthful of milk is sour, while you're washing down a handful of pills...:eek:

Good morning. It's partly cloudy and 60.
Y'all haven't lived until you've discovered that mouthful of milk is sour, while you're washing down a handful of pills...:eek:

Don't remind me!! :eek:

------------------------------------------------------

Good Morning

Having winds from the southwest turning to the west up to 50mph later this morning with clearing skies sometime this afternoon/evening

Got some stuff to get out of the way at the office today then it is off to LHS to pick up some detailing parts....:eek:

Have a good holiday!!;)

Good morning. It's 58° with rain and lots of thunder and lightning. The high will be 78° and there's a better than 70% chance of rain.

Hello from a very wet west central Louisiana! The weather picture looks very ugly as you can see from the radar image below.

inmasirla_.gif

Not much on the schedule today. I may work on the layout a bit but that really depends on the weather. If the power goes out that'll mean no lights or tools. Last night my father was questioning my decision to cut the grass yesterday instead of waiting to do it Friday. I told him there was at least one major storm on the way, probably more and the ground woukd likely be too wait bi then. I bet he's not questioning it now!

Well, I have to duck out of here and take cover. I hear another thunder boomer coming in. Take care of yourselves and have fun.

P1010761.jpg

Good morning from SoCal. 51 heading for a sunny 77. I had a very productive weekend. Day 1 of what is a very short work week. With the wife's gall bladder surgery scheduled for Wednesday morning I'll be only working today and tomorrow. At least I'll only be in the office those two days. Thanks to modern technology I can connect to the servers from home and still get a fair amount of work done . . . . if I choose to.

Good afternoon all, Seems I found my way to the new place after all.....

Wicked weekend, damage in Wichita is about 20 miles from my house and the tornado got as close as 4 miles away. I'm thinking I need to restart the layout. I'm not sure what's going on with the job offer, and I'm thinking I probably won't take it at this point.

Say Patrick,
Glad you found it, Larry would pick such an out of the way location too, well anyway the rent is cheap so that's a Plus!

Glad your place is ok, 4 miles is more than close enough enough for sure, but I think Rex in Alabama was only about a mile from all the destruction that wiped out most of his area. In either case, scary for sure.

Restarting the layout should be enjoyable while your waiting for things to solidify job wise.

Time for me to call it a night. Did a little work on the layout today and replaced a popped decoder. I just happened to notice while the Frankenstein trio was running around the layout that the lead units headlight wasn't on. I pressed F0 on the controller to turn it on and nothing and then I noticed the locos wheels weren't turning. A Stewart F unit is fairly hefty but the other two locos were pushing it around the layout like it was a feather. The three of them together weigh four and a half pounds with the second unit being the heaviest. I never saw any smoke from the lead unit. But when I sniffed it I knew. No mistaking THAT odor! Took about two minutes to program the new decoder with the information it would need and about ten minutes to install it. Put the shell back on and back into service it went. Got a short video of the GP7's at the shop. No motion but there's sound.

See y'all tomorrow.

th_DSCN2276.jpg

Good Evenin'

Windy day up here..winds from the ssw to w at upwards of 55-60mph...all kinds of stuff be flapping around...

Everything got done today..did the eTax thing, paid some other bills, got groceries, got LHS supplies...:eek::):)

Good late afternoon/early evening,
According to Weather Underground it's 67.6*F at about 5:00Pm going for a low of 52*F tonight so not too bad, it sunny with a few clouds around.

I did get the H frame done as well as the cross members for my Atlas Turn Table and it's not turning out too bad I feel. It's a ways from being done yet as I need to add the X bracing in the H frame section as well as 45* angle braces on the top caps and uprights.
Also I need to add the truss lines to it as well along with nut & bolt castings and some heavy plates to connect the up rights to the base timbers, etc.

I did something a bit different in the construction of the H frame truss tower. After actually gluing the H sections together I used Woodland Scenics Hobby Tack [HT], it's Trepositionable, to a adhear the H on each side to the base beams and then I also used the HT to attach the top cross members as well as the top spacers. The reason I did this was in case I should bump the Truss Tower it would flex rather than break! Oh, I almost forgot that I also the HT to adhear the base beams to the TT so if I ever have to remove it I can fairly easily.

AScratchbuiltHFrameGallowsReszd800x1200-1DSCF5477.jpg

See everyone in the morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back