Coffee Shoppe XXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Evening, everyone.

Matt, you're doing all this underwater weed mowing by just holding your breath? No wonder you're tired. :eek: Do a Google search for "Snuba". It a floating generator and compressor that allows you to use a standard scuba regulator and stay down as long as the gas in the generator holds out. There are also models with just an electric compressor if you have access to shore power. They aren't cheap, but you can build your own if you have a compressor with enough capacity. You'd be able to do a lot more work with a lot less effort with some air to breathe. Somehow, I don't think the gill idea is going to work out. :) What kind of rifle are you looking at? The red box loco is most likely a Rivarossi. They are good models and runners. If they are willing to take an antique in trade for a modern rifle, I suspect that antique is worth more than you think. Have you tried advertising it on something like Craig's List? I've never found that trades like that come out in my favor.

John, I've been reading about the Iowa floods. The plains just don't have the drainage system to handle that much water coming down that fast. Unfortuately, most of the people who die are the ones that foolishly try to cross flooded roads and creeks, especially at night. I've been in the position of have to rescue those folks and recover the dead bodies of those who didn't make it. :( I've never figured out why anything was so important you'd risk dying just to get across a flooded road or creek.

Don, looks like you guys up north are going to get a taste of what we've been going through for the last 25 days. Staying inside is a real good idea.

Jeffrey, no offense, but those are two of the weirdest looking vehicles I've ever seen. :D I'm glad to hear that they are good in mud. At least the mud will cover them up and make them look a little better. ;) Can you salvage the radio antenna as well as the radio? Don't know if it's an NMO mount or mag mount. I have the feeling the antenna might need to be replaced anyway if you've had it on the car for all these years. Is the radio personal or department issue? If it's personal, there are some really cheap new radios out now for both VHF and UHF if yours is on its last legs.

Sandy, when did you get that horse? Oh, never mind, I guess it's really a horse-like dog. :p Do you have your own bed, or is this the dog's bed? I don't think I'd like to make her move if she didn't want to. :eek: I hate moving too. Did you buy a new house or are you renting. Dianna was out in Ft. Collins for two weeks last month and just loved it. I told her it was usually pretty nice in the summer...but then comes winter. :rolleyes: She thinks a three inch snowfall is the end of the world here.

Another long, hot day here, with a high of 102. It's down to 82 now, so I can work on the Trek without waiting until 0300. Tropical Depression Five has now gone poof, and is no more. I have no idea why it was ever a tropical depression to begin with. The NHC did everything they could to get it up to a tropical storm, but even they can't make a disorganized area of moderate thunderstorms with winds of 25 mph pass the smell test. The pitiful remnants of this thing are now dissipating in the Gulf, and even the thunderstorm aren't moving ashore. We might get an increase in moisture and the outside chance of a thunderstorm, but the main effect will be to raise the dewpoint without providing much cloud coverage, which will make this heat even more stifling. Yuck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Jim, Jeff: The weirdest vehicle I ever drove was in the back 40 of my uncles farm north of Innerkip ON. We had a frame and front clip of a 1960 Chev Impala---with an Orange Crate mounted on the frame for a seat! And that thing would go through the mud no problem!!:eek::eek:

Good Morning Peoples!!

I've got a doctor appointment set up for this morning to look at what options I have for the implant--defrillator. This oughta be fun---:eek::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Sandy I just got finished cutting hay for the umpteenth time this year---the back 40 here needs it!!:eek:

Welp,
I better get going here on that one--have a good one people!:D:D:D

Good morning folks.

Rex, sorry to hear of your loss.

Jim, aren't you done yet?:p

It's another nasty hot day today. Temps around ninety with the heat index over a one hundred!:eek: I know that's nothing for you southern boys, but I think I'm going to melt. It's been like that for far too long around here as well. Temps next week are to be in the seventies! I can't wait. I'm trying to remind myself that once it starts cooling off, it doesn't stop until we're below zero in January!:eek:Better not wish away the summer just yet.

I ordered another box of super trees against the wife's wishes. I know there is a moratorium on most spending right now but I had to do it. I just can't see holding up my progress for a lousy thirty bucks. Not with the amount of money that I've spent so far. She'll just have to get over it.:)

We are going to ride on the Union Pacific Operation Lifesaver train this morning. My boss got me the tickets right when they became available. It's nice to know he thinks of things like that. I know it won't be anything spectacular, but any train ride is a good train ride. It's suppose to last about an hour. The best part is that I have clearance to be late for work to do this. I do have a good boss.

Well, I had better get going. Have a great day everyone.

Jim- Ive looked into the snuba thing, it just wouldnt be very safe in this situation. If it got tangled in the weeds, it would not be good :eek:. The engine is a 4-6-4 or 4-8-4 in NYC livery if i remember right. My rifle is a Springfield 1903 thats been sporterized. The gun im looking into is the Savage Edge XP in camo. http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/edgexpcamo . I think she thinks my rifle is worth more than it is. I explained all of the flaws and she didnt seem to care. She can sell it, its just going to sit for awhile before she does. The gun plus the train adds up to about $500. I really want the train in the deal for 2 reasons. Ive been thinking about it for awhile, and i can resell it to get some cash out of the deal.

Corey- Isnt the Operation Life train being hauled by a heritage unit or two? Sounds like a good boss :D

Morning gents. Ive got to wait until about 10 before i can call that place so i can fill you all in then. I can already tell how this is going to go. Im going to call, then depending on what he answer is im going to do research like crazy and make some phone calls to my dad. Depending on what he says and what i find im going to make a decision and then hopefully go get it tonight or tommorow. Fun.

Jeffrey, no offense, but those are two of the weirdest looking vehicles I've ever seen. :D I'm glad to hear that they are good in mud. At least the mud will cover them up and make them look a little better. ;) Can you salvage the radio antenna as well as the radio? Don't know if it's an NMO mount or mag mount. I have the feeling the antenna might need to be replaced anyway if you've had it on the car for all these years. Is the radio personal or department issue? If it's personal, there are some really cheap new radios out now for both VHF and UHF if yours is on its last legs.
I agree. He didn't build them for looks but rather for what he wanted them to do. He needed something he could afford to bend up and he had these two old Festivas he couldn't get titles on, so into the chop shop they went! They aren't street legal but the mud holes don't care about that.

The radio was originally dept issue but when the dept got all new radios they let me keep it. The antenna is a 15" magnetic mount that'sright behind the light bar. It's tuned for that particular type of radio and won't on the newer ones. The radio has several of the depts old frequencies that we still use as well as a duplex frequency to the 911 repeater. It also picks up forestry and the sheriff's dept. I have a dept issue hand held 2-way Motorola HT1250 that I at home and in the field. Both radios have an old sheriff's auxiliary channel we use as a private channel for personal and private use as well as short range communication on scene so we don't tie up the emergency channels.

Good morning, barely. Getting a late start today as I had a bad night last night. My ankle was hurting so bad that I didn't get to sleep until around 3 am. My nephew found a van yesterday with the steering column still in it but he says the coupling between the column and the steering box is different. So today he's supposed to be going back to see about snagging the steering box too, because sure as we don't get it we're going to need it. Old man Murphy never sleeps.

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/Running-Bear/P1011217.jpg

I found out that the locomotive is a Mantua 2-8-2 in Northern Pacific livery. I cant find any information on this locomotive. It was in a red box, and she wanted 79.99 for it, thats all i know. Ive got the model number and all that. Now is the hard part though. Ive got to see if its worth putting it in the trade.

Corey- Isnt the Operation Life train being hauled by a heritage unit or two? Sounds like a good boss :D

Why yes it was! It's even my railroad!

CoreysRandompictures110.png

I even got to ride in the dome car.:D

CoreysRandompictures118.png

CoreysRandompictures111.png

Jim,
I'm with you. I can't think of anything that important either. Turns out there were 3 cars and 11 people. The ages ranged from 16 to 21. This happened around 4:00 A.M. on a back country road. They were all going like someone set fire to their fannies and never saw the water at all. The 16 year old was a driver and the only fatallity. GPS from a lost 911 call got responders there quick enough to save the rest.

John

I found out that the locomotive is a Mantua 2-8-2 in Northern Pacific livery. I cant find any information on this locomotive. It was in a red box, and she wanted 79.99 for it, thats all i know. Ive got the model number and all that. Now is the hard part though. Ive got to see if its worth putting it in the trade.
My gut says "no". They're rugged, reliable, and very hard to put DCC in. Some of the very last of them before Mantua went out of business were advertised as having can motors, but 99+% of them had the old DC71 Pittman motors. The state of the art has passed them by.

Terry- Im not so much worried about performace because ill be reselling it. I want it in the trade so i can get some cash out of it instead of just trade. Im more worried about if i can sell it for like more than $50. If not, itll probably just become trading stock or stuff to sell.

Corey- I had a feeling 1995 would be on the head end. Sounds like a good day.

Wheres Bob?

Evening, everyone.

Barry, you have to get a defibrillator impanted? :eek: I didn't even know you were having heart problems. Are you having runs of atrial or ventricular fibrillation? The implanted defibrillators are very reliable now, and only need battery replacement once every 15 years. The operation is not trivial, but it's generally safe and the outcome is usually good. If you are having life-threatening arrhythmia's, getting an implant is really your only choice.

Matt, a lot of divers that do water weed clearing work use snubas, since it's lot easier to move around without tanks on your back, and cheaper in the long run. Having tanks with a short regulator hose is really a much bigger problem in a vegetation, since it's easy to get the regulator hose snagged and have the regulator ripped out of your mouth. with snuba, they ues a weighted 60 foot line that kind of drags along the bottom and is pretty easy to free up from tangles. I worry about you doing free diving to remove weeds, since it's easy for you to get tangled up too, and you have no reserve air. Check out a product called Spare Air on the web. It's a self-contained tank and mouthpiece, and the tank is refillable. You can get a 3.0 cubic foot model for $200 or less on the web. That' enough air for about 10 minutes at dive depths, but probably closer to 20 minutes at 15 feet. I know it's expensive, but think of it as life insurance. It will serve you well when you become a certified diver too.

I'm a little confused about the gun trade. Are saying she wants your gun, plus an extra $500 of the Savage and the locomotive? The Savage only sells for about $375, and that Mantua Pacific sure ain't worth $125. I must not be understanding something here.

Corey, I'm getting there. I have to rip off 8 feet of carpet while trying not wreck it and not to wreck the flimsy aluminum channel the motor is mounted in. I don't know what this guy used for glue, but it's about an inch at a time with a stiff paint scraper. I can only work for about 15 minutes at a time before I'm sweating so much I can't see anything. :rolleyes: About one more foot of carpet, and then I'll start drilling out the rivets and removing the screws on the aluminum channel. It's clear this thing has been worked on at least once before, since some of the pop rivets were replaced by screws. Lord only knows what I'll find once I get to the motor and gears. That's a darn nice looking train you got to ride...and that woman with you ain't half bad either. :D Any boss that gets you train tickets and time off to ride it is a keeper.

John, four in the morning, flash floods, and teenagers are all a bad combination. :( I guess they were lucky it was only one of them that didn't make it.

Jeffrey, sounds like you must still be on VHF from the length of the antenna. Everything here except Montgomery is still on VHF, and I hope it stays that way. Montgomery has spent tens of millions trying to get their ProVoice trunked system working and it's still having problems. You ought at least check the antenna of coax continuity and get an SWR reading when you reinstall it. Older radios like to blow out finals when they get hooked up to a bad antenna. I hope you finally get that steering column this time. Sounds like my bed repair and your steering column replacement will finish about the same time. ;)

The dog days of summer continue, with a little more tropical feel tonight. The remnants of TD Five are sending up a nice plume of moisture with a few clouds...but no rain. Tomorrow, the weather guessers say. High of 103 with a high heat index of 114. Lots of pretty tropical cumulus around at susnset, not enough for rain, but just enough to mess up viewing the Perseid meteor shower tonight. Rats!

Jim- She wants my gun for the savage. I want the savage and the mikado for my gun. Ill look into the spare air, but ill be honest i probably wont invest in it because i only have a few more weeks of work left, and they are going to do something about it when they lower the lake for the winter, so it might not be something i can use again. One of their solutions is introducing grass carp :mad:

Thanks to my laptop i just found out i have to buy a new battery for it. Depending on how much the battery is, im tempted to do my school shopping, and then consider buying a whole new laptop. We have to go get the dog from the vets today too. The elkhound had to spend the night and she gets to come back today.

Good morning everyone.

Boy did we have some nasty storms last night. I'm curious to see if we got rain in the store. I guess I'll find out when I get there.:(

We had an enjoyable ride yesterday on the Operation Lifesaver train. A funny thing happened. We were in line to get on the train when this mob of people came around and walked right past us towards the door. I almost said something but my wife said not to. Well, when it came time to board, both dome cars were supposedly full by the time I got in the train. If I hadn't been cut on, we would surely have had a spot up there. I sat down in the regular coach when a UP worker asked for a group of two. I raised my hand since he seemed persistent. He told us that there was room for two people up in the dome car and that we should make our way to that car! I tell ya, that really made my day. I got to not make a scene and still had the best seats in the house. God must feel bad about the twenty six grand that I need to find in order to have a baby!:D The ride lasted and hour through some of the country side around here that you just don't see from the main highways. It was the best free train ride of my life!(only free train ride)

I'm hoping it finally cools down this weekend. I can't stand this crap much longer.

Have a great day everyone!

Good morning. It's 80 and partly cloudy. The high will be 98 with a heat index of 107. There's a 30% chance of rain.

I had a stormy session at the planning table last night as I worked over some proposed changes to my layout. The inside loop, the park, the passing siding and the surrounding scenery will soon be no more. The layout as it stands at this moment has two access holes in the largest area. Until recently these access holes were easy to reach but owing to complications brought on by my medical problems these holes are now much harder to reach. Therefore much of the center of the layout will be removed. The track plan as it is now looks pretty much like this:

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/Running-Bear/trackplan-2-2.jpg

With the proposed changes it will look more like this:

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/Running-Bear/trackplan-2-4.jpg

The loop on the right will have an access hole but it will be easier to get to.

Afternoon, everyone.

Matt, grass carp probably won't be very successful in controlling the weeds, and it usually takes two to five years before they make much of an impact, so I wouldn't give up on your job just yet. They only feed when the water temperatures are above 68, so they don't have a very long season in cold places like upstate New York. I understand the trade now. If you can get the Savage and the mike, you will have made a pretty good deal. As far as laptops go, check out the price of netbooks. They are more than adequate for most uses and the price is around $250. It's almost never worth paying for a new battery for an older laptop.

Corey, I saw the storms you were getting on radar. They looked pretty intense. I'd take one or two down my way. Funny how sometimes not getting into a big ruckus gets better results. I'm fairly certain that the Columbine was one of the dome cars that was on the California Zephyr when I rode it in 1972, about a year after Amtrak took over. The A/C wasn't working, and the only time the dome was habitable was after dark. That was about the worst train trip of my life. Sounds like you had a much better time.

Jeffrey, your new plan looks like a much better use of space than the one you have now. You'll have more room for yourself in the trailer and not have to crawl under the layout all the time. Smart move.

Day 27 over 100 degrees. Like Corey, I'm getting really tired of this crap. The remnants of TD Five have bought us nothing but higher humidity and even more miserable conditions. There are storms to the north and west of us, but zip in our area. It appears that most of the storms will die at sunset, just before they would have gotten here. :mad: Almost everything in the yard is dead, and I can't afford to water in these kind of temperatures. I'm not even sure it would make any difference since the ground is so dry that any water run right off. Maybe we'll somehow luck out and catch a stray shower, but it doesn't look like we have much hope for anything more.

Matt
Check out a product called Spare Air on the web. It's a self-contained tank and mouthpiece, and the tank is refillable. You can get a 3.0 cubic foot model for $200 or less on the web. That' enough air for about 10 minutes at dive depths, but probably closer to 20 minutes at 15 feet. I know it's expensive, but think of it as life insurance. It will serve you well when you become a certified diver too.

The spare air is not good for that as you get maybe 2 -5 min out of it tops. 3.0cf of air isn't much and wont last long enough to do much work. and as every diver knows that once you take a breath of air at depth you don't hold it as you can cause some serious damage if you ascend to much. Plus most dive shops will charge you the same to refill the spare air as an 80cf dive tank. Now you can fill the Spare Air from a dive tank but as you fill it and pressure lowers so wont the usage time. I used an 13cf pony bottle that was small and strapped to my tank using its own dedicated regulator. Might be a little overkill for rec purposes but I rather have 13cf then 3cf of air anytime and the cost was close to the same if not less in the long run. But it will give you at least 10min if not more in any situation. I would say get certified in diving and get a 80cf or 63cf tank as it will be less of a hassle in the long run as you will already have a tank which is good for many years if taken care of. I have tanks that I have been using since 1997 and the pass yearly visuals and 5 year hydrostatic tests no problem.

In looking through my stock of spare Bachmann EZ-Track I find that I have plenty of curves but very few straights. I have therefore placed an order for 6 packs of the stuff today through the Shopatron network. It has already been shipped from Hobbytown USA of Dallas and is on it's way. I should have it at the latest by this time next week. Maybe by that time I'll have most of the old track (in areas that will be removed) pulled up. I have a bucket of water standing by to drop them into to remove the glue and ballast. I hope to be able to reuse the turnouts. If not I'll just have to order more. I'm glad one of my family members (who shall remain nameless) is a closet model railroader and is footing the bill. Regrettably one of the things on the layout that will have to go is Ezra's Exxon station. Hopefully I'll be able to put it down in another location. The park and it's sandlot baseball diamond and K4 locomotive display will also be coming up. I hope to put it down in the area that's now occupied by the Shell station. I'll probably cut that structure and use the front of it against the backdrop. The north engine house and the foundry will also be pulled up. Bob's hot dog stand will also be looking for a new home. The south engine house (old Walthers structure I got in the 70's) will be pulled up. It's footprint will be relocated slightly and it will be replaced with the north engine house structure which is also a Walthers structure, the backwoods engine house and car barn. There is also a Pola car barn which will be relocated. It's going to be a lot of work but the new layout is almost ready to jump off the planning sheet and become a reality. It's kind of a shock going from 2 loops to one but the inside loop was always rather boring anyway. It's just an oval with an inside spur. But pieces of it will be used in the creation of the new track layout. That's enough for now. I wouldn't want to bore anyone.

Thanks to my laptop i just found out i have to buy a new battery for it. Depending on how much the battery is, im tempted to do my school shopping, and then consider buying a whole new laptop.
A new battery is usually between $45-$100. About a month ago, I got a new Compaq CQ62 laptop for $400. It's got what I wanted (large hard drive, dvd burner, nice big screen, built-in wifi card, etc. I got it so I could run the Windows applications that wouldn't run on my Powerbook. I was pleasantly surprised by Windows 7. I'm now using it almost exclusively, but still have the old Mac. I saved about $1400 by doing this, rather than getting a comparable Macbook Pro. Only time will tell if I made a good choice, but so far it seems to be doing well.

Jim- Thanks for the info on the carp, ill have to pass that along. Ive considered a netbook for awhile now, but they usually dont have all the functions of a regular laptop like microsoft office, and since college is 3 yrs away, id like something a bit bigger. The new battery is only about $75. The wierd thing is that its just over 2 yrs old. The more i think about the deal the happier i am with it.

Terry- I have a compaq/HP/presario CQ50. Its been good until now.

Mgwsy- If i go below 10-12ft ill be surprised. The whole depth of the lake is 32ft. No need to worry about pressure and decompressing.

Jeff- The new plan looks pretty good in my opinion. To bad youll have to tear out a good portion. I have the same problem as you do, hundreds of Power-loc curves, but maybe 30 straights :confused:

I finally got paid today. I really shouldnt complain, she paid me for this week too. Not bad, it almost covers the cost of the new battery :rolleyes:. Honestly ill probably put off the battery for a week or two. I want to build up my bank account as much as i can, then pay my expenses and see where im at. For now though my biggest concern is school shopping. Mom and dad give me $250 in the fall for clothes. That usually pays for some of my shirts and most of my jeans, i usually spend another $200 on shoes and clothes after that. Unfortunately summer is coming to an end. The second week of sept is going to be here much to soon. Half of my summer work is done and for now its looking ok on schedule. Hopefully i can finish it in two weeks and relax for the rest of the summer.

Well with Scuba you can do some serious injury in as little as 5ft of water if you do the wrong thing so its just something to consider and be careful. Yes you don't have to worry about decompression unless you spend a couple hours under water but now if your actually exerting yourself doing work and not just floating around then you have to take that in to consideration as you will breath faster and absorb more nitrogen into your system everything is based on length under pressure.

Check this link out.

http://www.deep-six.com/page63.htm

Mark G

Mgwsy- If i go below 10-12ft ill be surprised. The whole depth of the lake is 32ft. No need to worry about pressure and decompressing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back