Coffee Shoppe XXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was a cool 106 in the shop today, with humidity about the same number...

Ditto here Terry. Its pretty bad when just sitting in the shop at my computer I was dripping sweat, with a fan blowing on me!!!:eek: Some of the techs looked like they had been out in a rain shower. Speaking of rain, not a chance in hell of it tonight.....its 85 outside at 11 pm , looking for a high of 103 tomorrow with big humidity....goin to the In-Laws tomorrow,,,,they got a pool!!!:D

Sandy,,,,,you are proud, and for good reason!:D

Chris....no steak...nothing hot at all...howabout a salad and a few slices of Honeydoo melon.....maybe a few melonball shooters to go with that??

We live in an apartment, and while the apartment itself is not bad, some of the people in them leave a bit to be desired.
Two weekends ago, our neighbor through the den wall had a wild (loud) party until 2 am. The party has started again.
If they go until 2 again, I think I will get up at 7:01 am and place my boombox up against the adjoining wall, turn it up as loud as it will go, and go yard sale-ing for the morning.

Just set their cars on fire! Or better yet set them on fire! Terry remember my apartment with my comrade land lord? Them were the days.........:rolleyes:

Just set their cars on fire! Or better yet set them on fire! Terry remember my apartment with my comrade land lord? Them were the days.........:rolleyes:

Who, Gorbudnikov?:rolleyes:

I'm not sure if I'm happy or disappointed, the party broke up about midnight, which is not unreasonable. I'm not going yard saleing this morning, it's already too hot. It's 83 now, and supposed to hit 102 today. I think I'll head over to the LHS where it's air conditioned, then get our dog groomed.

Who, Gorbudnikov?:rolleyes:

I'm not sure if I'm happy or disappointed, the party broke up about midnight, which is not unreasonable. I'm not going yard saleing this morning, it's already too hot. It's 83 now, and supposed to hit 102 today. I think I'll head over to the LHS where it's air conditioned, then get our dog groomed.

I like it when the neigbors have parties! I invite myself and nobody says a word! Free food, Free Booze/beer, and if you stay late enough Free what ever you want!:D Single life might have it's advantages;):p! Still rather have my family back though!:(

Good morning. It's 76 and mostly cloudy. The high will be 94 and it will be mostly cloudy.

We've got everything tied down here to keep it from washing away tomorrow when Bonnie's rains come. We're expecting at least 1.19 inches of rain. Old man Murphy was in good form yesterday. While I was mowing my parent's yard the choke cable on the old tractor grounded out one of the spark plugs. To say it was a shocking experience would be an understatement. Then while I was here in the front room chatting online with a couple of friends sinister forces were at work in the bedroom. At about 9:40 pm my display rack which holds many of my locos parted company with the wall. A mounting brace on the back had broken and the increased weight being thrust on the other one caused it to fail catastrophically. Fortunately my bed is against that wall and about 3/4's of the locos landed on the bed. The others stayed on the rack. The rack itself was easily repaired and reattached to the wall. The damage to the locos was mostly couplers that were knocked loose. The worst damage was to a Proto 2000 E6A that had the front truck knocked out. That required that the worm assembly be put back in place and the truck remounted. Good thing I had some extra worm housing clips lying around. There are 6 of those heavy Proto beasts in the rack, The rest are a mix of Proto, MDC, Athearn, Bachmann and Mehano. Two of the four Atlas locos I have are in a shadow box on the opposite wall and the other two are on the layout along with some Athearns and Bachmann's. My GP7's did not come in yesterday. UPS got balled up on the address. For some reason they were looking for an apartment number where there is none. I called UPS and they checked the address with me and it was just what it was supposed to be, so I don't see what the problem was. They'll try again Monday.

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/Running-Bear/P1010930.jpg

I like it when the neigbors have parties! I invite myself and nobody says a word! Free food, Free Booze/beer, and if you stay late enough Free what ever you want!:D Single life might have it's advantages;):p! Still rather have my family back though!:(
The neighbors are forgetting the first rule of a successful party: Invite The Neighbors. If the neighbors are at the party, they can't complain about it.;)
Of course, now my upstairs neighbor keeps calling the police on me for allowing my dog to urinate where he can see her. He wants me to buy diapers for her, so she doesn't pee on the ground... I already have a high-dollar scoop for the solid waste, which he also doesn't want to see her do. Bear in mind I already have her so far from the building she is peeing on the sidewalk in an effort to appease him. There is no place else to go, except allow her to do her business inside our apartment so he doesn't have to witness it. There are two chances of me allowing that to happen.

Anyway, back to trains... I picked up one of those generic factory building kits that are currently sold under the Life Like banner. It would be a good kit, if it wasn't so garishly colored. Tannish-grey walls (okay):eek: with bright blue windows and doors (yuck), bright green roof (eeww),:eek: and rust brown accessories (not a good choice, but not horrible). I guess it's their idea of a colorful kit... I'm having to wear my sunglasses while I assemble it.:cool:
I'm going to coat it with some dust or concrete colored paint before I put the window "glass" in, maybe it'll tone it down some...

Sad news to report.

"Bill Purdie, Master Mechanic – Steam Engines, “RETIRED”
A True Steam Driving Man
Bill Purdie, former Master Mechanic – Steam Engines for Southern Railway, and later Norfolk Southern Railway, had a career which afforded him the opportunity to bring smiles to thousands of people, both young and old. Beginning in 1968 with a call from then Southern Railway President, W. Graham Claytor, Jr. the adventure began. Claytor’s vision was to operate steam locomotives over Southern rails to let another generation know what a steam locomotive was. The program was so successful that it evolved into nearly year round train excursions throughout the Southeast and beyond. Purdie professionalized the rebirth of Southern Steam and in consequence, made its sight and sound self-supporting and available system-wide.
Purdie began his career with Southern Railway in February 1936, as a machinist’s helper in Pegram Shops in Atlanta; he then served as machinist’s apprentice and later roundhouse foreman. Purdie preferred the shop to the road stating “The shop restores; the road debilitates.” His theory being that “The exhaust, smoke, whistling, bright headlight, and flailing rods of a photo run-by were glamorous; but the lathe, forge, drop pit, rivet furnace, crane, and hammer made the dramatics possible.”
After graduation from Russell High School in East Point, Georgia, during the depression, Purdie enlisted in the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC). After his time with the CCC, he was able to secure a job with Southern Railway as a machinist’s helper. During WW II, he offered his service to the Army and Navy; being turned down by both because his work for the railroad was deemed as important. Determined to serve his country, he enlisted with the Merchant Marines in 1945 and served as Junior Engineer.
A strong belief and deep conviction in Jesus as our Lord and Savior, led Purdie to be actively involved in the East Point Presbyterian Church for many years. He was Building Committee Chairman during the church’s expansion and served in several other capacities through the years.
Purdie belonged to several organizations, mostly railroad oriented. He was a charter member of the Atlanta Chapter, National Railway Historical Society (NRHS) and Southeastern Railway Museum; recently receiving 50-year membership recognition. He devoted many hours working with the museum to preserve and restore railroad equipment. Bill was an honorary member of several other NRHS chapters throughout the Southeast. Additionally, he was a member of the Southern Railway Historical Society, American Legion Post 51, the National Rifle Association, National Model Railroad Association, and was a Kentucky Colonel.
During the 70’s and 80’s, the steam locomotives under Purdie’s supervision made appearances in several Hollywood productions including “Fools Parade,” “Coal Miner’s Daughter,” “Minstrel Man,” and a Johnny Cash film.
Bill Purdie was married to the former Sara Elizabeth Fries of East Point for 52 years until her death in 1993. He is also preceded in death by his parents William James Purdie, Sr. and Charlotte Taylor Purdie, both from Scotland; son John Davis Purdie; brothers Douglas, Alexander, and Kenneth; sisters, Hazel Purdie and Charlotte Boggus. He is survived by sons William James Purdie, III and wife Ruby of Milton, Georgia, and Donald Kenneth Purdie and wife Sharon of Wise, Virginia; Grandchildren Deanna Purdie, Dr. Brian Purdie, Matthew Purdie, and Jeff Roark; and one great grandchild, Juliet Rose Purdie, as well as several nieces and nephews. He also leaves behind a very dear and close friend, Joyce Harris of Atlanta.
Family will receive friends at Northside Chapel, 12040 Crabapple Road, Roswell, Georgia, Between 4:00 and 7:00 p.m., Saturday July 24. Funeral services, officiated by Dr. Allan Purdie, will be held Sunday July 25 at East Point Presbyterian Church at 2:00 p.m., followed by graveside services and interment at Hillcrest Cemetery.
Family requests that in lieu of flowers, donations be made to the Southeastern Railway Museum, Duluth, Georgia.
Donald PurdieVP - Operations"

We're gonna miss ya, Mr. Purdie. RIP

Of course, now my upstairs neighbor keeps calling the police on me for allowing my dog to urinate where he can see her. He wants me to buy diapers for her, so she doesn't pee on the ground... I already have a high-dollar scoop for the solid waste, which he also doesn't want to see her do. Bear in mind I already have her so far from the building she is peeing on the sidewalk in an effort to appease him. There is no place else to go, except allow her to do her business inside our apartment so he doesn't have to witness it. There are two chances of me allowing that to happen.
Your neighbor needs to get a hobby that keeps him away from the windows. The guy sounds like a typical jerk. I used to have such a guy for a neighbor. He didn't like to see me working on MY car in MY driveway. That's what fix-it places are for. Our last conversation before he moved away (thank God!) went something like this.

Him: (Throws open front door and storms out into yard waving rolled-up newspaper) I told you to take that (expletive removed) thing to a garage and get it fixed there! I don't want to see you working on it where I can see it.

Me: Then stay away from the windows.

Him: I'll still be able to hear you working on it!

Me: Put in earplugs.

Him: Then I can't hear the TV!

Me: If you're watching TV why are you bugging me? Is the program that boring. (I'm having fun now).

Him: Take it to a garage or I'm calling the cops!

Me: Go ahead. Just remember to find a new place to live first. My father is your landlord, remember?

Him: TAKE IT TO A GARAGE!!!!

Me: Are you going to pay the bill?

Him: Why should I pay the bill?! It's your car!

Me: Which I'm working on in my yard. Now, are going to pay the garage bill?

Him: NO!

Me: Then shut your pie hole and go watch your TV.

Him: I'm calling your dad about this!

Me: Go ahead. He'll just tell you to mind your own business.

Him: (SLAM) slams door and goes back inside.

15 minutes later phone rings. It's my father telling me to get out the FOR RENT signs for the trailer the guy is living in. He's kicking him out.

Anyway, back to trains... I picked up one of those generic factory building kits that are currently sold under the Life Like banner. It would be a good kit, if it wasn't so garishly colored. Tannish-grey walls (okay):eek: with bright blue windows and doors (yuck), bright green roof (eeww),:eek: and rust brown accessories (not a good choice, but not horrible). I guess it's their idea of a colorful kit... I'm having to wear my sunglasses while I assemble it.:cool:
I'm going to coat it with some dust or concrete colored paint before I put the window "glass" in, maybe it'll tone it down some...
Repaint time!

Last edited by a moderator:
C'mon gang, look alive! The cricket noise is deafening!!!

Flo! Get rid of the decaf!!!!!!!!!!:eek: NOW!!!:eek::eek::eek:

Good morning. It's 77 and mostly cloudy. There's a 52% chance of rain with heavy rain expected. To say that it will be cloudy would be an understatement.

Not much happening here this morning. Everyone has their homes buttoned up in preparation for the rain we're supposed to get today. I found out back in the 80's that even a weak tropical storm can bring boat loads of rain. Today I'll just keep busy on the layout. I have cars to weather and plaster to pour.

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/Running-Bear/P1010979.jpg

C'mon gang, look alive! The cricket noise is deafening!!!

Flo! Get rid of the decaf!!!!!!!!!!:eek: NOW!!!:eek::eek::eek:

WE NEED REAL COFFEE!!!!!

Good morninig---

Welp--it's off to w**k this morning--gonna be briefed on all the dang changes in here--my schedule for one thing is changed---

So---have a good day peoples!!:eek::D:D:D

Another successful weekend in the woods in complete.
I took a real nice ride with some guys from the neighboring camps through some of the rougher trails on the property. These trails are difficult in the daytime, we started this ride about 11pm. I had a blast though, it was 7 wheelers, i was driving by myself, and my buddies were 2-upping it behind me. It was alot of fun, until my friend decided to go through the log instead of around it. Yes through the big rotted log. Anyways, long story short, a peice of wood slapped the transmission and knocked it out of gear. Because the stick was jammed in the bottom, it wouldnt go into gear. Eventually it got fixed and we were on our way. It wasnt until the next day that he blew the gears in the back axle out :rolleyes: Hes probably going to get a bunch of work on his wheeler done though, should run great when hes done.

Other than that i shot the new muzzleloader for the first time this morning. I was surprised how little it kicked. 2 of the dogs went with us to camp this weekend, both behaved really well. Typical labs, i tried to drain the puddle in the trail in front of camp. I hear splash splash and look over and theyre in halfway up their legs :rolleyes:. Another standard feature with labs is bedhog. Anyone whose ever slept in a hunting camp knows you dont get a king sized bed, its a matress over some wood about a foot in the air, maybe 3 feet wide. Sharing that with 2 50lb dogs was a pleasure.

Jeff- Hows that van coming?

Still nothing from Jim?

Hi folks. I see that this is the Anti-NitPickers League. Since I can no longer see the Nits, much less Pick them, can I join in too? :)

Howdie all....Been away for a bit. It's been a busy couple of weeks here. Finally got a layout started that will keep me amused for a bit until we can get the space cleaned up and ready for the intermediate pike. But, at least the trains are running again.:D

Origianally posted by Terry: If they go until 2 again, I think I will get up at 7:01 am and place my boombox up against the adjoining wall, turn it up as loud as it will go, and go yard sale-ing for the morning.

A few years ago I was living in a motel efficiency unit that also dubbed as a dorm for a local community college. Had some guys move in above me that liked to party late at night. Luckily I worked a graveshift so my my sleep schedule was not interrupted, but they did like to crank the tunes up well into the wee hours of the morning. At the time I was heavy into MS Train Sim. I was also on very good terms with motel manager, and told him I would get them to quiet down, no problem. So the next time they cranked the music at 2am, I ran a mile and a half stack train out of Colton CA up Cajon Pass to the summit with 5 AC4400's on the head end. I also unplugged the headphones I normally used, and cranked the surround sound volume to about 3/4's. It takes about 58 minutes to reach the Summit, and needless to say, we did not have midnight serenades after that. :rolleyes:;)

Howdie all....Been away for a bit. It's been a busy couple of weeks here. Finally got a layout started that will keep me amused for a bit until we can get the space cleaned up and ready for the intermediate pike. But, at least the trains are running again.:D

A few years ago I was living in a motel efficiency unit that also dubbed as a dorm for a local community college. Had some guys move in above me that liked to party late at night. Luckily I worked a graveshift so my my sleep schedule was not interrupted, but they did like to crank the tunes up well into the wee hours of the morning. At the time I was heavy into MS Train Sim. I was also on very good terms with motel manager, and told him I would get them to quiet down, no problem. So the next time they cranked the music at 2am, I ran a mile and a half stack train out of Colton CA up Cajon Pass to the summit with 5 AC4400's on the head end. I also unplugged the headphones I normally used, and cranked the surround sound volume to about 3/4's. It takes about 58 minutes to reach the Summit, and needless to say, we did not have midnight serenades after that. :rolleyes:;)

I'm still in favor of pouring lighter fluid on them, striking a match and watching them as they light up the night trying to stay alive!! Way more fun!:D

My weekend keeps getting better... I have a monitor hooked to my laptop right now, and am transferring files to a removable hard drive for installation in my new laptop... I tripped over the power cord early this morning, yanking the laptop off the desk onto the floor, then fell on it. Sigh...
The new laptop is a windoze box, which I am going to have to use until I can afford a new Macbook Pro to replace this one. The replacement was $400, versus $1800 for a direct replacement for my Powerbook. No more train purchases for a while. Oh, I also had to get a new desk and I'll be getting a new printer next week, since I pulled all that over on myself when I fell. The desk was pretty cheap, I just wish that was all I had to buy. Anybody wanna buy a 15" Powerbook G4, cheap? Owned by a little old guy from Pasadena...:rolleyes:

Hey Flo, can you put out any open flames around the bar? Chris is scaring me.... :D

Not doing much, been searching the internet looking for a Canadian Pacific AC4400 in HO. I got some N scale stuff but its just not for me. I dont really care if i have to do some carpet running, i like my HO stuff. If the member im working with here still doesnt have his, ill be searching Ebay or placing a per-order with Trucklover. The only problem with that is that its not even out from Athearn until january of 2011. Which means i should get it around July of 2011, assuming the whole delayment of new releases B.S keeps up :rolleyes:. If i could get one of them, and a CSX Dash-9 in YN3 id be pretty happy. My other problem is im a cheapskate when it comes to trains. If prices go over $30-40 i really start thinking :rolleyes: Perhaps this is a bad hobby for me :D Ill fgure it out, ive still got some other expenses i need to cover to. We'll have to see.

Terry- Sorry to hear about the computer. Out of curiosity, did you ever find that SD80MAC, ive never heard of one in YN2, only Conrail, YN3 and NS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back