Coffee Shop XXXVI-2/4/2013

Good morning. It's 60° with 100% humidity and dense fog. There will be some clouds and the high will be 82°.
pcloudy-1.jpg

No plans for today. Whatever comes along I guess. I do need to open up the H24-66 and the U30E645. It's about time for their annual maintenance.

Good Morning:

It's 54° and raining this morning. The weekend was really nice. Unfortunately, I spent too much time indoors.

Suppose I'll try and stay dry today, so I might do more work with the layout.

Have a good day!

Joe

Good morning folks

It was 52 F when I hit the crowded highways this morning. Our high is supposed to be 60 F with rain for today and tomorrow.

We visit another college with my daughter this weekend. It was an under whelming experience. My daughter was not over impressed and my wife was disappointed. It was a Division 2 school and to her it did not live up to the hype. The Open House was somewhat disorganized. There were no coaches available for any sports. This was a first for us on any Open House we have attended. The person manning the Athletic table was not too knowledgeable. All she seemed to know how to do was hand you a brochure and ask you to fill out a questionnaire. We knew ahead of time that the volleyball coach was not going to be there. When this has happened in the past usually team members are available. The coach told my daughter to speak to some athletes but there were none available.

Did a little yard work and made the grocery store run. Did not accomplish much else.

Tonight my daughter has volleyball practice and my son has a Boy Scout Troop Meeting.

I hope everybody has a good day.

Well I went down and cut the grass and got my laundry done at the same time. Took a few hours but it's done. Now I'm exhausted and about to fall over and I really don't feel like doing anything the rest of the day.

See y'all later. Maybe.

Had a busy day today. First mowing the grass and doing laundry then feeding my fathers dogs this evening as he's at work tonight. It looks like I may have a problem with oranges now and I may have to add them to my taboo list along with bananas, cherries, avocados, tomatoes and a few others. In the past few weeks every time after eating an orange I've been hot, shaky and really weak not to mention my sinuses go wild and I sweat profusely. That never happened before until a few weeks ago and it's gotten progressively worse. Tomatoes and avocados will keep me on the throne for hours. Cherries make me quite sick and a banana will require that I be taken to the ER. Looks like oranges are on the way to doing the same thing. I was thinking today that this might be some kind of reaction with the new meds but this started before the new meds were prescribed. My father eats oranges from the same bag and he shows no ill effects. And we've been through several bags. So why would they effect me and not him? Another point to bring up with my doctor.

Time to call it a night here. See y'all tomorrow.

DSCN3762.jpg

Jeffrey; I know that Oranges and Grapefruit both in fruit and juice form cause havoc if I consume them within 4 hours of taking my BP medication. Also Acid reducers within 2 hours. Tomatoes, and oranges are acidic. I don't know about the others. Best is to avoid.

I spent part of the day going through boxes of stuff, and now have a line-up of 18 locomotives in need of decoders, and other repairs. I just ordered more decoders, as well as more replacement gear sets for Proto engines. I have been following Ken's conversion of his B&O fleet to DCC, and I find his comments helpful.:).

Tomorrow, I'm going to set up an analog dc test track, to diagnose problem loco power trains, before I attempt to upgrade them to dcc.

However, thats for tomorrow. It's past bed time.

Joe

Good Morning:

Although the forecast is Mostly Cloudy, with a high of 60°, it's currently sunny and 52°. If it stays sunny, and the lawn dries a bit, I will cut the grass today. It suddenly took a growth spurt with the rainfall.

I will probably find some quality time with my layout later on.

Have a great day!

Joe

Good morning. It's 62° with 100% humidity and a fair chance of rain. The high will be 82°.
condmc-1.jpg
cond50.jpg

Nothing on the schedule today except working on the layout and running trains. I was running the GP40's (Pathmark, L&A) in consist with the H24-66 and U30E645 this morning. Everything went well for a few laps around the layout then I saw the Pathmark loco break away from the L&A GP40 and take up a new career as a runaway! The locos are speed matched so it only pulled away a few inches in ten feet. The other three locos had the weight of the train slowing them down slightly. Of course an investigation into the incident quickly ensued. It was found that the front coupler on the L&A GP40 was a McHenry shelf coupler. The jaw on it had apparently cracked and broken off. This was corrected with the installation of a Kadee 119 shelf coupler. Running after that was uneventful. No more runaways.

Got a short video this morning. Just click on the photo.

th_PIC_0019-1.jpg

Will go smoother if I can get this house I bought in February sold before I have to turn it back to the bank. I'm gonna lose money, but I'd like to be able to have some of it back.

Good luck selling the house. Hope you find something in Kansas too.

Well seems the only bad thing to happen today was a McHenry coupler on the front of an Atlas/Bachmann GP40 broke. That was easily fixed with the installation of a Kadee 119. I received a packet of Kadee 142 couplers today. The project I needed them for was handled in a different way so I have them on hand in case a need for them arises in the future. A railfan caught a crew member, hat in hand posing on a GP40. I have no idea what the L&A's dress code is but it must include T-shirts.

DSCN3776.jpg

Time to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.

Back