Coffee Shop XXXV-12/3/2012

Good afternoon folks.

I've been meaning to stop by and say hi but I've been so busy, and then so sick it just felt like too much work. I've had the flu for four days now and feel like I've been hit by a Mack truck.:(

On a different note, I received a very special gift for Christmas. My Uncle, who gave me his HO trains twenty five years ago, gave me another great gift. After cleaning through his basement he came across his American Flyer trains from the late 1940's. I received four boxes of track, freight cars, passenger cars and locomotives. I haven't had a chance to really research anything accept the power pack. I guess it was the top of the line, manufactured from 1947 to 1953. I'm looking forward to learning everything I can about the rest of it.

Christmas was a great time with running trains with the nieces and nephews.

Other than that I don't know much.

I hope everyone is happy and healthy.

COREY: I have a friend who is very knowledgeable on 'S' scale matters, and I know he has friends in a group here in Rochester that could answer his questions. I will see if I can't get him to join us here, or you can e-mail me and I will send his info.

Still cold here, but sun is shining. Total snowfall in last 3 days has been around 18". So ok, I've seen enough now for this year and next. :) Have fun:

sp2562ani.gif
40ibreef_pfe-wthr1.gif
40ibreef_pfe-wthr1.gif
40ibreef_pfe-wthr1.gif
40ibreef_pfe1.gif

No problem Corey. Talked to my partner Jeff, and I think he'll be joining us here soon in the next few day:cool:s. He does some remarkiable modeling. He and his Dad were 'S' scalers years ago, and Jeff still has an interest in it.

Dspsd40t2left.gif
Dspsd40t2right.gif
Dspsd40t2right.gif
hersrud86auto-n_ssw1.gif
hersrud86auto-n_ssw1.gif
hersrud86auto-n_ssw1.gif
hersrud86auto-n_ssw1.gif
hersrud86auto-n_ssw1.gif
hersrud86auto-n_ssw1.gif
hersrud86auto-n_ssw1.gif
hersrud86auto-n_ssw1.gif
hersrud86auto-n_ssw1.gif

There was an uncoupling and derailment last night just past the Johnson mill north of Sundown that resulted in six cars going to ground. A 29 foot container was broken open and a gondola load of lead sheets was spilled. The train was heading to the Sundown turn that loops around back to Knutzville. There was a Diamond Chemicals tank car involved as well as a Magnolia Petroleum tank car. After an initial inspection the scene was deemed safe. The guys from the Sundown shops were busy with that one. The cause has been determined to be a Kadee coupler box that pulled loose from the Diamond Chemical car. The car ran over the box and derailed causing a five car pileup behind it. It was the eleventh unit in the train. The line back to Knutzville was not blocked.

Say Jeffrey,
Glad to hear things weren't worse, and the line to Knutzville was left open, all though they seemed bad enough! I hope it didn't get the people there any more disturbed?

The main thing of course is not to let the B&H inspector/claims adjuster get wind of what happened or he liable to really cause a scene in that place and really drive the Knutz folks Wild!

But usually a little simple direction is all they need to get them back into order. You know, it's Ok, Knutz, Relax Knutz. Just hope some guy doesn't come along selling Popcorn & Pea nutz!

Last edited by a moderator:
Say Jeffrey,
Glad to hear things weren't worse, and the line to Knutzville was left open, all though they seemed bad enough! I hope it didn't get the people there any more disturbed?

The main thing of course is not to let the B&H inspector/claims adjuster get wind of what happened or he liable to really cause a scene in that place and really drive the Knutz folks Wild!
Yeah, I think the folks in Knutzville would go really nuts if the B&H boys were set loose on them!

Thought I would try and post a vid of our T-Trak display at the Syracuse Show in November. One of our friends from Ottawa Valley N-Trak had a cam car that he used to take this engineers view of the layout. Wer had aprrox. 5.7 scale miles of main on the outside loop, so grab a cup and enjoy. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AX9xmaDLkZA

sp2562ani.gif
40ibreef_pfe-wthr1.gif
40ibreef_pfe-wthr1.gif
40ibreef_pfe-wthr1.gif
40ibreef_pfe1.gif

Good morning. It's 44° with 80% humidity. It's mostly cloudy and there's a fair chance of rain.
condmc-1.jpg
cond60.jpg

It's so cloudy this morning it still looks like 6am. Good thing I have no plans for doing anything outdoors. Rain seems to be the word of the day here and there's more on the way the next couple of days. I guess my activities will center around cleaning up the mess on the layout, if I get to it that is. There are other things that have to be done so there's no telling what may get in the way.

DSCN2793.jpg

Good Morning

We have a shiveree planned for tonight...the pots and pans are at the ready in fact...heeheehee

Kinda mix of sun/cloud today with little tiny snowflurries for us...high of 28F expected ...low of 19F...kinda...

Barry, it's been a long time since I've heard of anyone doing that! We were shivareed when we were married almost 38 years ago (Jan. 31). I looked up the story behind the custom and I was very surprised at what I learned.

Seems it was not the light hearted ritual that we did here in the Midwest when it first originated. In fact, it was actually done as a form of punishment or as a way of showing disapproval of something done by a couple. Pretty interesting reading about how it came about and evolved.

Good midday at noon! It's now cloudy 35* degrees with an inch of snow on the way.

Just wanted to say thank you to all the great old timers and the many excellent new people who've made this thread and forum the outstanding fun place it is....in the last year. I'm signed up on several other model train discussion sites which are fine.......but I have the most fun right here at the ANPL Coffee Shop. Wishing you and your families an awesome Happy New Year! :)

Mike

I would like to wish everyone a very happy new year, it's been a roller caster ride this year i hope it gets smoother in 2013,

cheers guys and gals ya'll take care

I just wanted to wish y'all a HAPPY NEW YEAR to all!

I'm resolving to spend more time on the forum in 2013.
You have been warned! lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had a derailment this morning with five cars and one loco going to ground. It happened on the northeast corner of the layout just coming through knutzville and it was a mess. That area is the hardest to reach so a grip and grab reach extender is required. For this reason it's near impossible to rerail anything at that location. Uncoupling the fallen loco from the three in front of it was a little tricky. Retrieving said loco required the grip and grab. Thank God I don't go in for fancy details and angel hair guardrails. The loco is a Bachmann GP7 so it's tough as an old boot! One of the cars was a bit of a nut to crack as well. It's one of the old Tyco 'Old Dutch Cleanser' hoppers so there's not much chance of hurting it. The problem there was that it landed against a couple of structures and it was flat on it's side. I had to flip it up then reach in and grab it before it fell back down. Not so easy with a Grip and Grab. After getting all that cleaned up it was time to find the cause. Inspecting the cars I had retrieved revealed nothing. Looking back along the track I found a small black screw laying on the track. I don't use that type screw to hold my couplers so it wasn't from that. The train was back in service by this time so I brought it around and started checking each and every car by lifting first the front then the rear. My aim with this was to find a loose truck. And I did! the 22nd car back. An Athearn 34' cement hopper. The only thing keeping the truck in place was the mounting nub on the bolster. Looked like Murphy was prepared to have yet ANOTHER day at my expense. That was an easy fix. Still I checked the remaining cars to be sure. You know how that old Mr Murphy is!

Back