Coffee Shop XXXV-12/3/2012

Hello...

Back from doing the shopping thing...and still am not done....eeerrgh...

More stuff to do tomorrow....

Hopefully, sometime this week I might get a chance to run some trains

WARNING!! GRAY HAIR ALERT!!

I went to my parents place to rescue some old computer equipment. When I say old I mean from the EARLY 80's. The main item is an Apple IIe computer that's more or less the stock version of the one I already have in my closet. Mine is 128k RAM, four 360k 5 1/4" floppy drives (a fifth one for parts), RAM drive (early solid state drive)/80 column adapter, printer RAM buffer, 1 meg memory expander, FP/Integer Basic, Prodos, Cp/m selectable from the keyboard, 13" green screen. This other one I picked up is just 64k RAM, one dual 360k floppy drive (piece of crap), 80 column card, FP/Integer Basic keyboard selectable, Prodos available on reboot, 9" white screen(we're talking hard on the eyes here!). It works but I got it for spare parts. All it cost me was the time to go get it.

Looks like the Wimberly Abucus to Computer exhibit is nearing completion, and coming to an antique mall near you!! :rolleyes:
Quick, somebody give Jeffrey one of those red number displaying "digital" watches, a silk shirt and some bell bottoms so he will look more authentic!!:eek:

Quick, somebody give Jeffrey one of those red number displaying "digital" watches, a silk shirt and some bell bottoms so he will look more authentic!!:eek:
I already look quite authentic. I live in a 60 year old trailer, drive a 30+ year old vehicle and my idea of formal is jeans and a T-shirt. My hair, beard and mustache almost scream grade A redneck.

Looking at a 90% chance of rain tonight and 40% tomorrow. Appropriate. I have a doc appointment in the morning. General physical and lab work. More needles! Oh joy.

Time to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.

IMAGE67.jpg

Good late afternoon/early evening,

I got a late start today due to staying up too late last night/this morning and sleeping in till Noon.

The weather has been cool around the 50's and though it cleared up a while i clouded back up looking like it could rain.

I've been thinking more about location of my turntable and think I should really move it in a bit further from the edge of the Engine house area as I seem to feel it too close to bank above the lower track, but that will have to wait till I get a fair amount more of the main line down first. The track foreman says the guys on the track gang are yelling about lack of full time wages as it's getting closer to Christmas and no money to buy presents for the lady in their life and the kids.

[ATTACH=full]93765[/ATTACH][img]

So I had better get busy and create some work for them. Besides the superintendent says the guys at the 7to1 mine are anxious to get the rail line put in so they can increase production.

So I guess I know what I going to be doing.

Have a good night!

Last edited by a moderator:
WARNING!! GRAY HAIR ALERT!!

I went to my parents place to rescue some old computer equipment. When I say old I mean from the EARLY 80's. It works but I got it for spare parts. All it cost me was the time to go get it.
That reminds me of my commodore-64. Anyone remember those dinosaurs? Got mine in 1984 and I had the floppy drive. Most people just had the cassette drive. I got the flight simulator for it, and later had a 80 column card, word processor, printer interface and printer. Amazingly, I sold it all for $500 just in time before they became totally worthless. :p

Mike

Here is the new N scale model train platform/benchwork. I just built this in the last several weeks after moving into nice new upstairs apartment. Four seperate modules, made from all new material, 1/4 inch plywood on 1" x 3" frame. Total cost about $130, including wood, special self-tapping cabinet screws, tackcloth, primer.

I weigh 175 lbs and walked all over on top of it......though stepping only where there is a support joist underneath the thin plywood. Very strong, lightweight, easily dis-assembled for moving. I plan to eventually add another thin section with a hinged lift-up bridge. After entering and lowering the bridge I'll be surrounded by the layout on all sides. And I may get a jigsaw and cut the back two corners out to make pop-up access. The three foot deep panels.......I call them extra-fat.

Mike

Good morning. It's 46° with 100% humidity. There's a fair chance of rain and the high will be 50°.
condmc-1.jpg
cond50.jpg

Not much going on. I'm just getting ready to cut out for my doctor appointment this morning and I'll be back whenever I get back. Just a general physical and lab work. More needles. Yuck! Not my idea of a great time.

Image9.jpg

Good morning folks

It was 45 F as I headed onto the fog shrouded highways this morning. Our high is supposed to be 64 with more showers.

It has been a busy couple of weekends. Last weekend we went with my daughter to a college prospects’ showcase at the California University of Pennsylvania. She did very well at the showcase. She got hot at the right moment when a couple of the coaches from schools she is interested in were watching. It was some long driving, however on Saturday and Sunday.

She is now into the swing of things with club volleyball practices three days a week. Yesterday she had a clinic for setting followed by her regularly scheduled practice. It resulted in 4 hours of volleyball. Tonight is also a regular practice. Despite the lengthy practices she is enjoying it. We are all happy with the instruction she has been getting. In the first week of practice she has gotten more instruction than she got in three years with her previous club.

My son has been enjoying his time off since football ended. Tonight he will be getting back into Boy Scouts with his first troop meeting of the year. Football took up so much time that trying to make the troop meetings was basically impossible.

I hope everybody has a good day.

Good Morning All:

It's currently 51F, forecast is for highs in the mid '60s with 50% probability of rain.

I did some more work on my layout, last night, so I'm getting closer to my goal of a true point to point operation. I also cleared up my backlog of cars needing repair.

Today, I need to replace the thermostat for my HVAC. Furnace seems to do what it wants, regardless of setting. If this fix doesn't work, I'll call in a service guy.

Jeffrey, Hope everything goes OK at the Docs. I don't like probes and needles either.

Got the doc appointment out of the way. I let him know that my chest pain has been making a comeback and he scheduled a stress test at the hospital this coming Thursday. I have to be there at 7 am. That's going to be an interesting morning. I have to take my father to the dentist that morning also. Then on the NEXT Thursday (20th) I have to go back to see the doc so he can tell me about the results of the stress test. Friday (21st) I can sit back and see if the world ends.

Friday (21st) I can sit back and see if the world ends.

I am putting off my Christmas shopping until the 22nd. That way if the world ends, I won't have wasted my time shopping.:cool:

At least, that's what I told my wife. She tends to "snoop" and the late time will ensure she won't have much opportunity for the tape to accidentally come off the packages...

Good morning folks.

We got our first taste of nasty winter driving weather last night. We went to my Father's house yesterday afternoon for Christmas knowing the weather wouldn't be great. Since the snow was so wet we figured the fore casted winds wouldn't be able to pick it up and blow it around. We were wrong! When I started the car from the house it looked like it was moving forward with the snow blowing into the headlight path. Rather than stay the night we decided to head home. Well, the wind was way worse outside of town with complete whiteout conditions. The snow was blowing with gusts of 40 miles an hour slowing the traffic to 5 miles an hour at some times. I've lived in Minnesota my entire life and have never driven in blizzard conditions like that. We made it home after two hours of white knuckle driving. I was exhausted from the stress and wondered why we didn't just stay there and come home in the morning. I guess I'll learn my lesson some day!

Anyway, it's a bright shiny day today with ice covered roads and a high of 10.

Have a good day everyone.

The snow was blowing with gusts of 40 miles an hour slowing the traffic to 5 miles an hour at some times. I've lived in Minnesota my entire life and have never driven in blizzard conditions like that. We made it home after two hours of white knuckle driving. I was exhausted from the stress and wondered why we didn't just stay there and come home in the morning. I guess I'll learn my lesson some day!

Anyway, it's a bright shiny day today with ice covered roads and a high of 10.

Have a good day everyone.

Corey
Glad you made it back ok, 10? Brrrrrrrr! :eek:

56 and light mist here tonight :D

Gee, it's cloudy and 59 here. We could use some rain, but y'all can keep the snow with you.

Back