Coffee Shop XXXIX-9/21/2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got my new CP/M co-processor today. As can be seen in the photo below it's almost identical to my thirty-one year old Microsoft CP/M co-processor (top). In the second photo the new co-processor is undergoing testing.

DSCN5519-2.jpg

DSCN5508.jpg

Good evening folks

It is finally over after almost 3 years. My daughter has found a college. She was accepted to New Jersey City University. Along with being accepted she was awarded the Presidential Scholarship. The scholarship is an academic scholarship and it provides full out of state tuition, room and board, and all fees for all 4 years provided she keeps her grades up. She spoke with the volleyball coach this evening and verbally committed. He is very happy. He has been aggressively pursuing her for the last few months. Paperwork is in the mail to the Admissions Office. Now all that is left is notifying the coaches of the other schools that were recruiting her. There are going to be some tough phone calls since there are some coaches and schools she likes.

Now maybe I can dust off the workbench and layout and get back to the trains. even my daughter says it is time.

That's the thing. Everything works great on my Digitrax system, but becomes an exercise in frustration when trying to use the NCE system at our club.
At one point, I was ready to ditch the Digitrax system, and get an NCE system. Now I'm glad I didn't. I have decoders from Soundtraxx, QSI, BLI, Digitrax, NCE, TCS, and ESU, and they all work just fine at home. They only lirp out on the club's (NCE) layout.

Try turning off the BEMF in everything but the lead unit. I've had some decoders go wild on my layout when running in a consist. Turned off the BEMF, and everything runs as smooth as can be.

Good evening folks

It is finally over after almost 3 years. My daughter has found a college. She was accepted to New Jersey City University. Along with being accepted she was awarded the Presidential Scholarship. The scholarship is an academic scholarship and it provides full out of state tuition, room and board, and all fees for all 4 years provided she keeps her grades up. She spoke with the volleyball coach this evening and verbally committed. He is very happy. He has been aggressively pursuing her for the last few months. Paperwork is in the mail to the Admissions Office. Now all that is left is notifying the coaches of the other schools that were recruiting her. There are going to be some tough phone calls since there are some coaches and schools she likes.

Now maybe I can dust off the workbench and layout and get back to the trains. even my daughter says it is time.

Congrats Tom! Congrats to daughter as well. My daughter got an academic scholarship when graduated from high school as well. But after 2 years the school dropped her major, and she transferred to another university, but couldn't get another scholarship. That was ten years ago and she's still paying those loans off.

Good evening folks

Congrats Tom! :D

Got a lot of work done on Paradise Cove today! Part of that was breaking the file into two parts and making each a separate file. It had gotten so big it overran the computers memory and I started getting 'OUT OF MEMORY' error messages. So the first part of Paradise Cove is saved with a file size of 139 and the second part is up to 032 so far. Today's main bit of work was 1130 Nelson Street. The residence of one Harry Raintree and the wildcats he keeps in a big cage in the back yard. The cage has a sign above the entry gate that says "Welcome to the Cathouse!". I also put that in the game. Yes, the character can enter the cats cage. However there's no guarantee as to his safety! Only one property and house to go before Nelson Street is wrapped up.

Here's a small part of the game as I'm going through Harry Raintree's yard:
DSCN5538.jpg

As reported earlier I got my CP/M co-processor this morning. I decided to put it in my //e and put my old Microsoft CP/M co-processor in my mothers old IIe. Tracking reports that the modified Apple //c external disk drive may be coming tomorrow.

Time for me to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.

IMAG0007-2.jpg

P1010012-5.jpg

151.jpg

Good Morning! from Tipton IN.

It's Wed 11/6/13

BLUECOFFEEMAN.png

COFFEECUP_POURING-Copy.png

:cool:

Tipton.gif

Temperature in TIPTON IN

High temperatures will remain steady at 51 degrees with cloudy skies. Winds will range between 16 and 20 miles per hour from the southwest. Rain amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch are predicted.

2mfc7lu.jpg

Good morning. It's 69° with 96% humidity. The high will be 78° and will feel like 83°.
cond006.gif
cond70.jpg

Looks like it might be wet today. I'm expecting my Apple //c disk drive to come in this morning. Odds are that my my Harry Potter Deathly Hallows 2 DVD will arrive today too.

I plan on doing more work on Paradise Cove (file 2) today. My hope is to get Nelson Street completed then I can start on the train room the character found earlier. I still haven't made up my mind. Should I put him on the layout as a willing participant viewing the action from the perspective of the railfan? Or do I put him on the train as an unwilling participant who has to search the train in order to find the item that will return him to reality before the train is beset by whatever fate awaits it. Gomez Addams beckons!

P1010007-10.jpg

P1010023.jpg

P1010022-1.jpg

My two new Kato BNSF Gevo locomotives arrived today along with six Atlas 52' gondolas. The new engines test ran extra Kato smooth and fast as ever....and they be super bright BNSF orange....much brighter than my old atlas BeaN SurFers.

The Apple //c drive came this morning. Unfortunately it's non-op. It lights up and runs but other than that all it does is erase the DOS from track zero of any diskette I put in it. I opened it up for a look inside and right away I could smell fried circuits. I contacted the seller about it and he offered a fair refund. And I keep the drive as a curiosity. Even though it doesn't work it'll look good in my Frankenstein collection. It can be used as a paper weight or a door stop too.

I finally finished Nelson Street! Most of the addys were pretty easy to program as they were north to south or east to west. The last one had to be the odd bird! It runs northeast to southwest and should give the players mind a workout. I can't wait to spring it on Mr Raintree! He should get a blast out of it.

Maybe tomorrow or this weekend I can get started on the train room segment. I'm still debating on whether to make the character a railfan watching the trains pass or making him as someone who's a victim of foul play and is trapped on the train and has to search for the item that will set him free from the enchanted layout. I could have some serious fun with this.

Well it's time to call it a night. I'll see y'all tomorrow.

Imag0009.jpg

P9180009.jpg

Imag0003-3.jpg

Congrats Tom! Congrats to daughter as well. My daughter got an academic scholarship when graduated from high school as well. But after 2 years the school dropped her major, and she transferred to another university, but couldn't get another scholarship. That was ten years ago and she's still paying those loans off.

Tom .... That's good news about your daughter.
Carey .... I hear about big student loans from time to time. Hopefully your daughter can pay hers off soon.

I continue working on my old kits for Burlington Commuter passenger cars. Taking a break from my layout expansion.

Cheers!

Evening Guys,
I'm getting quite a late start today posting, I took some shots of the new work on my C & S West Short Line RR but attempting to get them to upload to Photo Bucket [PB] was like pulling hens teeth. Yea, they don't have any teeth and PB took forever to get my images loaded and wouldn't in one case. I finally settled on just one shot.

Ok, I've been talking about the Whiskey switch and siding for quite awhile now as I had the bench work, uprights & ground work/road bed laid, for quite some time already. Well here is a shot of two of the three curved switches that make up the transition from the Ridge Crest depot mainline & passing siding over to the Whiskey switch mainline and passing siding along the edge of what will be a 59 [scale foot] high cliff and steep mountain side as it gets closer to the finial curved portion of the upper line..

The switches are the only real track laid at this point as I just starting to use the Central Valley Branch line tie strips which seem like they are going to work very nicely and make my track laying a lot easier than gluing down wood ties especially in the farther reach areas that the upper line will mainly involve.

What I've put down so far is sprayed a tanish color but I think they are visible enough in the photo.

yswitchandsiding-ExprtdReszd964x723Jpg_zps701ae89e.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

It's Thu 11/7/13

BLUECOFFEEMAN.png

COFFEEampPOUR-Copy.png

Tipton.gif

Temperature in TIPTON IN

Today will be a chilly day with high temperatures only in the upper 40s and breezy

2mfc7lu.jpg

Good morning - gotta leave in 5 minutes, just checking in. Mid-50's here in central MD, not too shabby!

Haven't been on here much lately because I'm prepping for my next op session [a week from Friday]. I've been doing rehearsal runs of each planned train. Last night I discovered that my cars for the Local were too randomly scattered in the yard, and it took me an hour to build that train [sorting my lineside destinations]. Too slow for an op session, glad I discovered that problem now and not during the session itself. Rearranged the cars accordingly, I'll have another stab at it tonight after work.

Have a great day!

Good morning. It's 44° with 93% humidity. The high will be 62° with some clouds.
cond026.gif

No real plans for today. I may start on the planning for the train room at 1020 Nelson Street but what I plan out depends on what I do with the games character who for now will be known as Oliver. In any case Oliver will be transported onto the layout and it will become his world until he can figure out how to leave it. Right now I have two options.

#1. I can make Oliver a willing participant in what's going on. He can search for the objects he needs while going from place to place witnessing the rail action from a railfans perspective. This means he'll be searching trackside structures and locations.

#2. I can make Oliver an unwilling participant in what's going on. He's trapped on the train which may or may not be under control due to an act of foul play. Oliver must overcome obstacles and those who are very willing to do him harm while searching the train for the objects he needs to escape from it and from the layout.

Right now both scenarios look good to me but I can only use one and I just can't decide which one.

P1010003-12.jpg

P1010003-10.jpg

P1010003-8.jpg

Good Morning, All:

This morning's outside temperature (62°) is warmer than it's been in quite a while. Good day to do some outdoor work, before it rains. I have been reconstructing the curves on my layout, a slow process, but rewarding in that operating performance should improve. Beyond that, it's been rather quiet around here. That won't last long;).

Joe

No work done on the game today. Instead I took some time to clean up the insides of the two Apple computers I have here. Those old electronics sure can draw in the dust! Both of these machines started as phase one IIe's or "Diana"'s (Apple's code name). My mothers old IIe despite modifications is still a Diana. My //e is still a Diana externally. Internally it's been rebuilt into a combination of an "LCA" (Low Cost Apple) and an enhanced "Super II". My third Apple, the IIe that's at my trailer started as an "LCA" and is now what I call a "MLCA" or Modified Low Cost Apple. It was a school computer before I got hold of it.

Well I guess tomorrow I'll get started on drawing out the scenario for 'Oliver' to make his way through. I've decided on option #2. He'll be put on the train unwillingly due to some sort of foul play and will have to get away from his captors and find objects he'll need as he makes his way from the rear of the train to the locomotive where he may attempt to stop it.

Time for me to call it a day. See y'all tomorrow.

shot1.jpg

Imag0006.jpg

P1010003-15.jpg

It's Fri 11/8/13

BLUECOFFEEMAN.png

pouring_coffee1-Copy.png

Tipton.gif

Temperature in TIPTON IN

Temperatures will range from 45 to 38 degrees with partly cloudy skies. Winds will remain steady around 5 miles per hour from the west. No precipitation is expected.

2mfc7lu.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back