Coffee Shop XXXIII 06/21/12

Good morning. Temp-73°, humidity-100%, showers/thunderstorms likely, high-88°, heat index-97°.
cond70-1.jpg

Have to be at my parents place this morning to meet the appraiser. May work on the layout later. Looks like it's going to be wet today. There's a more than fair probability of scattered to numerous thunderstorms.

P1011553.jpg

Good Morning...

Sunny with high of 83F feeling like 96F today...

Gonna have another doctor's appointment today to find out how the bone scans went..then off to a couple of other stores to pick up some new iThings....:eek:

Looks like the weather guesser was right for a change. Rain is here for the second time this morning. It's going from light to moderate to light to heavy, etc.

I'm on my old computer at my parents place. The appraiser has been here and gone so I'm just waiting for the rain to let up so I can go home. Still don't have a wiper motor for the van.

My job with the local council has been deleted, yes i was deleted,,, but they gave me the option to re apply for my old job but on lower pay, that or nothing so i had no option. Thankfully my Fire service job is OK.

My job with the local council has been deleted, yes i was deleted,,, but they gave me the option to re apply for my old job but on lower pay, that or nothing so i had no option. Thankfully my Fire service job is OK.
The higher ups are always happy to force lower pay on those lower down but wait and hear the screaming, hollering and baby tantrums when it happens to them. Been there and heard that!

Hi all! Glad to see so many of you stopping by for a cup'a joe. The electronic component replacements for my layout have arrived with the exception of two back orders: 1-BDL168 and 1-LocoBuffer USB. Hopefully, they will arrive soon and I can begin the process of recovery on the layout. We finally traded off our 2000 Bonne SSEi for a 2013 Explorer XLT. We got a pretty good deal, but you never get the trade-in value you hope for. The Explorer has more bells and whistles than I ever imagined possible; I spent half the night trying to decipher the manual. I would have been happy just selling the SSEi and forgetting about a new purchase, but the wife wanted a new one and quickly claimed, "It's MY Car!" (you understand, right!). Maybe this will keep her out of my F150....yeah, right!

KEN: Man, it's good to see you enjoying Flo's finer points. I've been meaning to send you an email and tell you how much fun Carey and I had during your visit. I'm always glad to see you, but next time try to keep my trains on the track....I'm still finding pieces:eek: (Just kidding!:D:D)

Steve: Hi ho, Steve-O! Sorry about you losing the council job, but you soon will find something to replace it at equal or better pay. BTW: how does it feel to be DELETED? like Poof? lol:D

I was hired for new job today. Happy yes.....but not celebrating until first paycheck is in bank and getting a sense it's going to work out. Cautious optimism is the best I can do right now......which is an improvement from what it's been. :cool:

Mike

Hi Steve, sorry to hear about your Council job :(

Rex - I had a blast! The fact that I totally forgot to eat supper is evidence of that. BTW Thanx for helping me test how to wire my signals, I've got them all installed now! Not automated like yours, but controlled from a 'dispatchers panel':D Also - thanks to Carey for treating me to lunch at the Fried Green Tomatoes restaurant (can't remember it's actual name?), that was truly a meal "to die for"!

Mike, congrats on the new job - hope it works out for you!

Barry I hope those bone scan results were OK!

Its gotten kinda quiet in my house today. This morning we sent off our 20yr-old son on a series of flights to Austria, where he will be doing his Fall semester of college. Hopefully he'll stay out of trouble...:rolleyes: On the mrr front, my replacement crossbucks arrived - I hope to have those installed over the weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hiya gang!

Thank God its the weekend!!:D Its been the week from H E double toothpics!

My 2 immediate supervisors were both on vacation this week, so I had to battle the front end management with just me and my cohorts on the desk,,,,but I think we held our ground.

Tuesday my youngest (16) drove my ex crazy, so she dumped him on my doorstep , then to make matters worse, he got into an argument with his step-mom and now those 2 aren't speaking !!!:( Now I'm stuck in the middle.:( At least the grass is mowed, he cant argue with anyone over the noise of the mowers!:rolleyes:
School starts Monday, so he goes back to his mothers Sunday night!;)

Next week, its back to the workbench, time to start finishing projects and cleaning off the bench!!

Rex Glad ya had fun with Ken down there, and the phone call was a blast. Maybe I can talk the Mrs into a Bama vacation next year, sounds like fun!

Ken After my middle son spent a semester in Beijing last year, I can tell you, Facebook chat and Skype will be your wallets best friend!

Barry hope you "boned up" for those tests!! :D:D:D

Steve chin up about the council thing,,could be the best thing in the long run,,now your options are open.

Jeffrey Still got your Mom on the prayer list. :)

Going for my quarterly blood tests in the morning, then taking JR to his work, then doing a little repair work on the shed doors. Oh, did I mention,, they were sideswiped by a Cub Cadet this week!! What,,do ya think I would have let the brat use one of the Deere's??:p:p:p

About all I accomplished today on the layout was to make the rear headlight on one of my GP7's light all the time whether it's running forward or backward. It's the last loco in a three loco consist (GP7 SHF (short hood forward)-GP35 LHF-GP7 SHF. The light flashes when the consist runs forward and lights steady when the consist runs backward. I may do the same on the other GP7 on the front headlight so it lights steady going forward and flashes when running backward. My only other accomplishment today was going to town and putting $20 worth of gas in the van.

Time for me to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.

DSCN2641.jpg

Karl you'd love it in Alabama [not sure about Janice though...?] - so many trackside industries, it's a railfan's paradise! Similar to the Chessie rights-of-way in MD ~30 years ago. Leeds and Cullman are two examples of towns with a lot of local switching.

Hi All! Glad to see the movers and shakers are in town. Not much going on here. Just jumping through the same old hoops.

Good Morning...

Good Morning! from Tipton IN.

August 25, 2012 is the 238th day of the year 2012 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 128 days remaining until the end of this year. The day of the week is Saturday.

coffee-pouring111.png

NE_FTW.png

:cool:

Tipton.gif

TIPTON

New Additions to the fleet

FP45s1003.png

FP45s1004.png

Both are of course Genesis, the Passenger FP45 is a 2007 release with QSI sound with the very handy remote button pad for operating the horn etc on DC layouts, and the Freight loco is fitted with the 2010 release, Tsunami sound.

I have tested both on my DC test track (5 lengths of flextrack) and the QSI has absolutely brilliant sound (the instructions said to test it in DC fisrt to make sure all is working OK anyway)and ran well

The Tsunami, although it's able to be run in DC, isn't very happy with my controller (instructions for that one says reohstat types aren't the best and don't advise their use) being electronic but with a slide control, so only a short test was carried out. The sound was much more subdued, won't be able to do a proper test until I get my DCC pack.

Got the Warbonnet from a local eBayer and the blue one from M B Klein. Have another passenger and a freight also coming, from US sellers (both respective warbonnets but DCC ready)

I have another Genesis QSI (SD45T-2)and several club members have remarked favourably on it's sound quality compared to other sound equiped locos.

Don't seem to hear much about QSI anymore but if they're still around I think I'll be holding off making decoder choices until I can give the Tsunamis (also got 1 of the new Intermountain ES44AC's so fitted and tested at my club which does have better DC cabs, but still was not all that impressed) properly set up.

Nice looking equipment Toot! My favorite railroads are Santa-Fe, BNSF, and Union Pacific. Lived in western USA mostly so always saw lots of SF and UP trains.

My grandmother used to collect railroad matchbooks and notepads. She got hundreds of them from her boss where she worked in kansas city, missouri. She had big jars full of RR and trucking company matches when I was very young in the 1960's. Never thought at the time those would be nice to hold onto.

Mike

Nice looking equipment Toot! My favorite railroads are Santa-Fe, BNSF, and Union Pacific. Lived in western USA mostly so always saw lots of SF and UP trains.

My grandmother used to collect railroad matchbooks and notepads. She got hundreds of them from her boss where she worked in kansas city, missouri. She had big jars full of RR and trucking company matches when I was very young in the 1960's. Never thought at the time those would be nice to hold onto.

Mike

As I've mentioned elsewhere, UP stands out for me as my earliest memory of model trains, and at one time SF is about the only other that seemed to be modelled commercially.

Those matchbooks would probably now have been able to buy you quite a lot of trains were they put up for auction.

Both are of course Genesis, the Passenger FP45 is a 2007 release with QSI sound with the very handy remote button pad for operating the horn etc on DC layouts, and the Freight loco is fitted with the 2010 release, Tsunami sound.

I have tested both on my DC test track (5 lengths of flextrack) and the QSI has absolutely brilliant sound (the instructions said to test it in DC fisrt to make sure all is working OK anyway)and ran well

The Tsunami, although it's able to be run in DC, isn't very happy with my controller (instructions for that one says reohstat types aren't the best and don't advise their use) being electronic but with a slide control, so only a short test was carried out. The sound was much more subdued, won't be able to do a proper test until I get my DCC pack.

Got the Warbonnet from a local eBayer and the blue one from M B Klein. Have another passenger and a freight also coming, from US sellers (both respective warbonnets but DCC ready)

I have another Genesis QSI (SD45T-2)and several club members have remarked favourably on it's sound quality compared to other sound equiped locos.

Don't seem to hear much about QSI anymore but if they're still around I think I'll be holding off making decoder choices until I can give the Tsunamis (also got 1 of the new Intermountain ES44AC's so fitted and tested at my club which does have better DC cabs, but still was not all that impressed) properly set up.
I hate to tell you this, but Athearn never used QSI systems in any of their locomotives. Ever. If those engines have QSI decoders in them, somebody has monkeyed with them. The only decoders they ever used have been Soundtraxx and MRC.

Back