Coffee Shop XXXIII 06/21/12

I left out of Virginia this morning on a motorcycle trip through mayesville kentucky. The bike started acting up in west virginia and got a really bad as I got closer to mayesville. I was able to limp it into the motel where I had reservations on 1 cylinder. I had to rent a u haul truck so I can haul the bike back home to virginia tomorrow. Harleys, you love them or you hate them.

Ah! the bikes, it's been a long time since I rode one. Never got into Harleys, they just started coming back while we were into Hondas. Prior to that they wern't very dependable (maybe still arn't :D) We had 5 Hondas, my prize posession was an old inline 4 cylinder with 4 carbs and pipes, what a beast. Wasn't much more than a piece of junk when I bought it to have some fun with and for some unknown reason I lovingly rebuilt it. After returning from a vacation I wanted to go for a ride, got creamed and was wrote off at a RR crossing by a woman who was waving to a fried instead of watching where she was going. We sold off the other 4 and that was the end. Still miss it though! :eek:
Cheers
Willey

Time for me to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.

P1011312.jpg

Good Morning...

We are still getting rained on here but there is a fine clear arc forming to the north of us...we are at 64F going to a high of 77F today...low tonight of 57F ...

Getting to be a bit strange out there....over 15 killed and 50 injured in CO at a Batman showing...my heart goes out to the families involved there as well....:(:(

Have a few things need catching up on today...I found out my sick leave was extended another 3 months...just to be sure...I love where I work..:)

I've heard of people starting a business "on a shoestring" as the saying goes. Was thinking maybe I could do that....and create some jobs for people since we've been in this depression for a few years now. I'd like to start my own railroad and I've learned quite a bit about them from this forum....and from watching trains and the switchmen who make things happen here when the OHIO CENTRAL RR comes through our downtown once or twice a week.

As far as capital to get started....got some old pop bottles I could turn in for deposit.....if any stores still do that now-a-days. And my old motocross helmet I could sell......every little bit adds up. Yeah, because you can really run up some expenses pretty quick, what with the price of locomotives, fuel, track, payroll, right of way aquisition, obamacare, etc.. I don't smoke....so the ashtray in my toyota fills up with quarters dimes and nickels. Probably going to need that too.

My dad had a bachelor degree in business and was somewhat successful....though not hugely.....so hoping maybe some of that rubbed off on me. Well, got a list of things going for me there I guess......plus I have boo-koo optimism and enthusiasm......I've heard those can be important on the road to success as well.

Mike

I've heard of people starting a business "on a shoestring" as the saying goes. Was thinking maybe I could do that....and create some jobs for people since we've been in this depression for a few years now. I'd like to start my own railroad and I've learned quite a bit about them from this forum....and from watching trains and the switchmen who make things happen here when the OHIO CENTRAL RR comes through our downtown once or twice a week.

As far as capital to get started....got some old pop bottles I could turn in for deposit.....if any stores still do that now-a-days. And my old motocross helmet I could sell......every little bit adds up. Yeah, because you can really run up some expenses pretty quick, what with the price of locomotives, fuel, track, payroll, right of way aquisition, obamacare, etc.. I don't smoke....so the ashtray in my toyota fills up with quarters dimes and nickels. Probably going to need that too.

My dad had a bachelor degree in business and was somewhat successful....though not hugely.....so hoping maybe some of that rubbed off on me. Well, got a list of things going for me there I guess......plus I have boo-koo optimism and enthusiasm......I've heard those can be important on the road to success as well.

Mike

I almost spit my coffee on the computer!:D What you have sir, is a plan for success!!!

Mike
I'll have 3 pints of what he's drinking. :cool:

Good day all from Olympic London. Getting ready to hibernate from the infux of tourists and general idiots for the next few weeks. If I had the cash I'd be in a cabin in Montana, as far away from it all as possible.

Haven't said it for a while but a big thanks to Bill Tidler for his daily good mornings. It really brightens up my day.

Good afternoon. It's 87° and feels like 96°. There's a chance of rain. The high will be 95° with a heat index of 108°.
30-1.jpg

The power in this area was off all morning, reason unknown. At least no one has seen fit to tell me why. It finally came on about forty-five minutes ago. I was going to mow my parents yard this morning but with no power to charge the tractors battery that got nixed and no way am I going to do it in the afternoon with the heat index near 110. My father mentioned it and I told him no way.

Well those of you who saw my last post yesterday got a glimpse of something I started work on yesterday. It's another Frankenstein. So far it consists of an Athearn F7 frame, Proto motor with Proto flywheels, shafts and worms, Proto trucks with Athearn gears throughout, Athearn nickel silver wheels and Athearn worm housing clips. The motor is locked in place with hot glue. Today I hope to get the motor and trucks wired and give it a test run on address 00.

P1011319.jpg

Ah! the bikes, it's been a long time since I rode one,
Honda, my prize posession was an old inline 4 cylinder with 4 carbs and pipes, what a beast. I wanted to go for a ride, got creamed and was wrote off at a RR crossing by a woman who was waving to a fried instead of watching where she was going. Still miss it though! :eek:
Cheers Willey

Say Willis, That brings back some memories of mine too. I just had a smaller Honda 50cc at the time and while the shop was working on it they let me ride a 305 Hawk, a twin cylinder and fast bike for it's size, and I had a lot of fun riding it. but when my little bike was finished I went back to riding it. That was way back in 1962 though, quite a ways before your In-line Four came out.

Yea, ridding sure can be a lot of fun but very dangerous too if your not aware of what your doing as well as what others are doing or not doing! I came very close to the final ride one time going through a twisty canyon but
sure glad it didn't happen.

I guess you also saw the lady coming and were able to stop or jump and prevent too much injury hopefully? A bike against a car are no match on impact.

I got the new Frankenstein F unit wired and tested. It doesn't have a decoder yet so I ran it forward and backward around the layout under address 00. It runs beautifully. Right now it's got an F3B shell on it. It still needs some weight, coupler pockets and couplers and a decoder.

Good afternoon guys,
It's been cooler but the heat is coming back unfortunately.

It's about 98* with only a mild breeze so it's fairly hot.

Not too much else going on around here and little being done on my C&S West layout as I just can't seem to get motivated. I guess my RR Buddy Brian Francis passing away affected me more than I figured? Of course this darn hot weather doesn't help at all either.

I hope everyone has a good weekend.

well my luck ran out the big black thunderstorms just formed overhead later then usual but wow are they loud :eek::eek::eek:

We'll take any rain in Illinois that anyone cares to send our way! Our area is extremely dry, having only about an inch or so since the end of April. We're ready to go with desert landscaping like we had in Arizona, but its been too hot to do anything!

oh and

boB ! hey ya old bag o dirt!! Where ya been buddy!!:D:D:D

yeH lraK!!! Been hindin' from guys like you!!!! :p Actually been working. Too hard at that!!!! Missed all of the misfits at Flo's and that coffee that melts the enamel off'n your teeth.....good stuff.

I'll be droppin' in from time to time.

Bob

Time for me to call it a night. Weather alert says we may get some bad storms tonight with a 50% or better chance of rain with locally heavy rain possible. Heavy and frequent lightning is possible with wind gust to near 40 mph. See y'all tomorrow.

P1011306.jpg

Good morning. It's 72°. The humidity is 92% and there's a chance of rain. The high will be 98° with an expected heat index of 110°.
cond094.gif

This morning I intend to mow my parents yard provided that Mr Murphy doesn't get in the way. The rest of the day will be getting some rest and I may get some layout work done.

DSCN0436.jpg

Back