Coffee Shop XXXIII 06/21/12

Thank you all for the warm support you have and are giving me. It is just my wife and I here in T-town to deal with this, with some help from the wife's sister. My daughter is in Texas and all others scattered from Indiana; to Connecticut; to Atlanta, etc. Even though it's through cyberspace, I am very lucky to have you. Your sincere and warm posts help give me strength and courage to get through this.

Rex, you have my sympathies. My wife and I have had to watch both of my parents and her mother go through their final weeks and days with hospice.
The hospice nurses are great people, and if you need anything for your mom, ask them. They will go the extra mile to help.

Calling it a night early. Had some storms come through today and as a result there are one or more locations where power connections are having fits. Not bad enough to go completely out but not good enough to keep the lights on steady. It's my birthday tomorrow and I have no idea what may be going on if anything. See y'all tomorrow.

P1011463.jpg

Good Evening

Today we broke a record ...103f with heat index reading at 119F...going to be somewhat the same tomorrow as well

Got the appointment done and the treatment session...then went to check out a few stores in our local mall up here...certainly is weird getting small T shirts and things...used to be XXL...mmmm

Good morning folks.

The heat wave has finally broken here in Minnesota. 100 degrees and a dew point of 74 yesterday was almost more than I could take. Especially considering I wear a shirt and tie no matter the temps.

I've had good news and bad news this past week. The good news is the sale of my store is going through and I get 5% of the sale price and a raise. The bad news is my wife is not pregnant anymore. :nope: Oh well, we decided we are going to adopt instead. Some little baby out there needs parents and we would be honored to do that. Good thing I'll have that 5%, adoption isn't cheap!

I have tomorrow off so I think I'll work on installing the motor in my Mantua. Since I use dc it's pretty straight forward, tighten the screw and solder a wire or two. Once the new pilot arrives next week I'll paint it, install it, and call this project done. I'll need to weather it later but I think I'll leave it shiny and new for a few weeks.

Have a great weekend everyone.

Good morning. It's 73° and mostly cloudy. There's a 60% chance of rain. The high will be 92°. I expect the heat index to be around 102°.
cond60-1.jpg

I have no plans today. It's my birthday and there's no telling what other family members have concocted. May be something special, may not.

P1011248.jpg

Good afternoon everyone hope your all well.

Rex Sir, my thoughts and prayers are with you both at this time, God bless.

As of lunch time today i have been promoted to crew manager (officer in charge) of our fire engine, not sure what the equivalent rank is in the states ;) but one thing is for sure my bum's going to be twitching on the first job in charge.

I'm considering a switch to N by the way, space is a problem and N will fix it hopefully

Woaaa, 12:30 and its already 96. Mowed the yard this morning and did some masonry work on the planters on the front of the house. Need to stop and get some shade and water. Just a couple more bags of concrete to mix and I'll be done for the day.

Just drove back from North Carolina,,,80 degrees at the shore a 5:30 this morning (Wilmington) Watched the overhead display slowly climb steadily to 102 degrees by the time we got on the D.C. Beltway, got to our house and the display had dropped to 96! Still, thats hot!:eek:
However, we did bring back a cooler full of fish on dry ice, and even with that, 3 people and luggage, the Impala still averages 32 mpg with most of that with the cruise set on 75....sweet!:D

Happy Birthday to you Jeffrey, you don't look a day older than dirt!:p

Corey, sorry about the baby, but I'm sure it won't stop you and your wife from being somebody's parents, somebody who will turn out to be a better person because of you.

Catch y'all later, I got roadeyes something fierce, gonna take a nap!!:cool:

Corey,
I am very sorry to hear about the baby. My wife and I had the same experience several times, but I can say that I am the proud father of a 7 year old ethiopian boy now. Now I think our troubles were a blessing in disguise. Everyone says he is lucky but my wife and I out truly the lucky ones. It was very expensive but worth every penny.

Thanks everybody for the birthday wishes. Their appreciated.

Time for me to call it a night. Just got back home a little while ago. Got stuck here earlier today by a storm and no internet service. Later I went with my parents to do some shopping. I got a bottle of 91% alcohol, a package of socks, a pack of T-shirts and a pack of underwear. My father paid for it. That was my birthday gift. I had dinner at their home tonight. Steak, succotash, collard greens, shoestring potatoes, cornbread. Excellent meal. I helped clean the kitchen afterward. See y'all tomorrow.

DSCN1700.jpg

Thanks for the support guys. I just figured since you've heard me talking about this process for years I had better update you. I guess we'll head down another rabbit hole.

Running Bear, happy birthday. It's too bad they can't figure out how to make calorie-free cake...

Good morning. It's 73° and mostly cloudy. The high will be 88°. Showers and thunderstorms are likely.
cond60-1.jpg

Nothing special planned for today. Got some cleanup work to do on the layout. May run some trains later. Now back to watching "The man with the golden gun".

DSCN1682.jpg

True Tales of the Wild West

I was poking around in a rock and gem shop many years ago in the small desert town of hanksville, utah. I found no one minding the store....and I yelled "anybody here". No one answered so I walked towards the rear to the back door and found two gentlemen sitting on the back porch. The backyard was full of old sun bleached plywood tables covered with thousands of colorful rocks pick up in the desert canyons and mountains of the west. The guys invited me to come out and chat with them. One of them was the owner ernie, and his friend bill who made very nice collector arrow heads out of many types of rocks and materials like your basic flint, obsidian, dinosuar bone, agate, petrified wood, and sparkly fire opal from australia. He sold his hand made arrow heads and tomahawks to rock shops and tourist suvenior shops to make his living. Bill showed me how he made the arrow heads holding an egg sized piece of sandstone in one hand and whacked the host rock in the other hand, chipping away at it bit by bit. He said a Ute indian chief "bestowed a special tribal name upon me" calling him, THE RED HAND.

I bought one of his fancy arrow heads, and a few nice little rocks, tucked 'em in my knapsack, and rode off into the sunset. Don't miss the next EPISODE: "The time I met, THE LONE RANGER and TONTO." :eek::)

Railfan
(prairie spirit ghost rider of the old west)

Back