Coffee Shop XXXIII 06/21/12

That's what I like about mine. It can be almost totally controlled by hand, even a hand brake.

The chassis is modeled after a larger MTD but is almost a foot longer, uses the same engine MTD used back then (17hp Briggs and Stratton V twin). It uses for the most part MTD parts so it's been convenient to hang onto it as most of the parts are easily obtainable. The company that built it however went out of business many years ago. I did an internet search but the company doesn't even come up. The company was one that put it's name on other manufacturers equipment and substituted it's own parts. So even though the name on the tractor is Peerless it has nothing to do with Peerless/Tecumseh. There's no telling where this thing originally came from. The belt drive is very similar to MTD but has a partial shaft drive and a PTO. The tranny however was very proprietary and was only made for one year and at over fifteen years old working examples are very rare. An MTD Peerless tranny WILL NOT fit. Imagine that.

Say Jeff,
I'm not sure if there's a connection or not but when I bought my Sears Garden tractor with the larger wheels on the back and a 18Hp Briggs Horizontal opposed twin it was actually manufactured by another company which I don't recall the name of either, although my mind is thinking, Ah, 'Roper' which was probably a division of American Outdoor Products as everything about the Sears & Roper were the same except for the hood cowling and paint.

I'm not sure if this might be of any help or not but thought I'd mention it.
Also NAPA Auto Parts might be a source of various items as I've purchased things for my tractor from them.

Say Jeff,
I'm not sure if there's a connection or not but when I bought my Sears Garden tractor with the larger wheels on the back and a 18Hp Briggs Horizontal opposed twin it was actually manufactured by another company which I don't recall the name of either, although my mind is thinking, Ah, 'Roper' which was probably a division of American Outdoor Products as everything about the Sears & Roper were the same except for the hood cowling and paint.
If it was Sears it could have been a Roper or a Murray Ohio. My grandparents had an old Sears tractor that was a repackaged Cub Cadet. Mine came from Lowe's. It had a decal (peeled it off long ago) that looked like a spinning seven(?) pointed falling star.

Last edited by a moderator:
Afraid I got rather sunburned today. I'm quite red, even for an Indian. That's kinda funny as I'm really quite light skinned. A side effect of one of my meds is that I burn easily. Pupils have also been dilated somehow. Stepping outside earlier was like stepping out into bright glare with everything lit up super bright. Sunglasses helped a little but not much. Glad I didn't have to drive any further than from my parents place to here because it was difficult to make things out. The eyes seem to have settled down. Tomorrow I may see if I can replace the busted pulley on the tractor. It shouldn't be difficult. Of course that depends on how I feel when I wake up tomorrow. Yesterday and today I've really been pushing hard and I'm hurting pretty bad because of it. Lifting the tractor yesterday and standing it on it's rear wasn't the smartest thing to do but it had to be done. The old drive belt had to come out so a new one could be put in. I'm getting too old for this stuff. Right now I feel like every muscle I have is saying 'Get the number of that truck!'. Hopefully I'll feel better in the morning. If not I may not even bother getting out of bed.

Time for me to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow, maybe.

P9200192.jpg

Good Morning...

Good Morning! from Tipton IN.

It's Saturday, September 8, 2012

coffee-pouring111.png

Old_oldHobbsDepotA.png

Hobbs Depot-Hobbs IN This was replaced with a new building in the late 1940s.

:cool:

Tipton.gif

TIPTON

good morning. It's 75° with 96% humidity. There's a chance for some thunderstorms to come through. The high will be 86°.
30-1.jpg

Nothing planned for today except staying inside and getting plenty of rest. Woke up this morning feeling like I had lost an argument with a steam roller and a runaway furnace. Even my eyelids hurt! I don't know if I'll do any layout work today. Probably not. Even the little bit of movement required for this posting is quite uncomfortable.

DSCN1687.jpg

Good Morning from WeAreKindaWetVille...

Wherein we are having a pile of rain here...about 3" fell here and expecting some more. Nasty winds here as well...up to 40mph....

Going to go grocery shopping and getting a few more train things from our FLHS...heeheehee....

So we battening whatever hatches we have left for more of the same today...

Have a good day!!

Good morning. It's cloudy and 70. Probable thunderstorms later.
I went on the roof yesterday evening, and sealed the cap on the chimney. It leaked rain water into the fireplace the last monsoon we had.

As if I need another project,,,,went to move the Cub Crapette today, and within seconds it started smoking profusely,,,,,yeah,,like a freight train.

It blew the front crank seal:eek:

Oh bother!!

And I think I've got it bad with just the Bendix on the starter going out on me again! Well one bolt is a real PIA to get out and put back but in reality that's really nothing. :rolleyes:

As if I need another project,,,,went to move the Cub Crapette today, and within seconds it started smoking profusely,,,,,yeah,,like a freight train.

It blew the front crank seal:eek:

Oh bother!!

Well Karl, now I understand why you refer to it by such an adoring name!! Does it have pressure lubrication to it? It would seem so if it blew a seal and even then the oil must have been dripping on a hot muffler.

My land line connection is too slow to conveniently watch these videos but for an engine to smoke profusely it would seem that the Oil Keeper Ring was completely shot or a hole in the top of the piston?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike,

I couldn't help but think of you and the name of your RR when I came across a building kit by Comstock Carshops advertised in the Narrow Gauge & Short Line Gazette.

The little build is somewhat reminiscent of a Design Preservation two story building and supposed to represent the Law Firm of Dewey, Cheatham & Howe!!

I guess the next building could be the Undertakers place of Stabbem & Slabbum! You think??

Well Karl, now I understand why you refer to it by such an adoring name!! Does it have pressure lubrication to it? It would seem so if it blew a seal and even then the oil must have been dripping on a hot muffler.

Actually, its splash oiled if anything (1967 Koehler engine) leaking out of the crank, hitting the PTO clutch, and flying 360 degrees in all directions, including up,,,,thats where the muffler is. Its been OK in the motor department till now...
I just had a thought,,,,,,I wonder if I could just repower the thing with say,,,a 24 HP Kawasaki engine??:rolleyes:

I just had a thought,,,,,,I wonder if I could just repower the thing with say,,,a 24 HP Kawasaki engine??:rolleyes:
I once had a Dynamark tractor that had a blown 12hp Tecumseh engine (waste of metal if you ask me). I repowered it with a Briggs and Stratton 11hp engine.

I guess the next building could be the Undertakers place of Stabbem & Slabbum! You think??
City morgue! You stab 'em, we slab 'em!

Back